Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2019, 08:15 AM   #1

Norcold Sunday Funday

Hi all.
I have a 2 year old Norcold 1210 that stopped cooling last night. Temp is at 60°
I’ve been on shore power for the last 2 months.
I switched over to propane and the burner fired right up. I let it run for over an hour, but the cooling fans never started up. I put an electric fan up there blowing on the fins and still no go, so I shut it down.
No error codes. Everything seems to be working fine... except the whole keeping your food cold thing!
When I bought my coach, I had a similar problem. The burner ran, but no fans and it stopped cooling, and like an idiot, I never asked the shop what the problem was.
Now I have a relatively new fridge (2 years) and the same thing is happening. On a Sunday of course, when the shops are closed.
Any ideas on where to start troubleshooting? I got a lot of food sitting in ice chests getting warm!!
Smack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2019, 08:45 AM   #2

Start out by checking your Norcold saftey recall switch. If flashing red light is on could be whre you start.
AdmiralRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:46 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Fire it back up and tap on the lower coils with a wooden hammer handle..:fairly hard. If it’s not hot the fans may not need to come on but adding a fan is always a good idea. It will usually cool fast on propane.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:53 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

A 2 year old 1210 would display a Li-Op fault if the boiler was overheating. On recent models the high limit temperature sensor is built in rather than an add-on black box.

The fans only come on when there are high temperatures around the condensor - they run only when needed, so lack of them doesn't mean something is broke.

Are the lights on in the control panel? Does interior light come on when doors opened? If not, you have lost 12v power to the fridge and nothing will work.

Get the 1210 Service Manual free at: http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/ncold1210.pdf
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:33 AM   #5

Like I mentioned, everything appears to be working as it should, it’s just not cooling. My assumption is that it’s the thermistor. I banged the light pretty hard with a jar of mayo the other day. Can’t imagine that would do it, but it’s a starting point.
Thanks for the link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
A 2 year old 1210 would display a Li-Op fault if the boiler was overheating. On recent models the high limit temperature sensor is built in rather than an add-on black box.

The fans only come on when there are high temperatures around the condensor - they run only when needed, so lack of them doesn't mean something is broke.

Are the lights on in the control panel? Does interior light come on when doors opened? If not, you have lost 12v power to the fridge and nothing will work.

Get the 1210 Service Manual free at: http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/ncold1210.pdf
Old 05-12-2019, 09:54 AM   #6

Unplug the thermistor from inside connector
RUN fridge and check temps after 12 hrs

You mentioned temp at 60*F....food compartment??
What is freezer temps??

IF thermistor is bad....temps in freezer AND food compartment will go down (freezer 10*F/lower---food compartment 38*F/lower)

IF freezer temps are cold and food compartment isn't......obstruction/blockage in tubing between Low temp evap and high temp evap

Unplug that thermistor and run it.....

AS mentioned......
You have DC and both electric/propane work so it has to be a control function
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:09 PM   #7

Thanks all!

Picked up a new thermistor this morning and the fridge is starting to cool again. It’s down to 45° at setting #5 in just a couple of hours and I’m sure it’ll go lower shortly!
Old 05-13-2019, 05:49 PM   #8

Is that 45*F in Food Compartment?

What is freezer temp?
Old 05-13-2019, 09:31 PM   #9

And we’re back!

So I THOUGHT the culprit was the thermistor, but after it got down to 50, and I put the food back in, an hour later it was up to almost 60 again.
I took a rubber mallet and banged the coils around a bit and now it’s down to 45. I’m going to give it a few more whacks tonight, and if it’s not back to normal by morning, I guess I’ll be going for a drive to knock things around in the coils ... maybe to the beach?... ugh! It’s so depressing at the beach on the central coast of CA in the spring.

Moral: Even breakdowns can turn a frown upside down in a motorhome.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:49 PM   #10

2008 Bounder with a 2 yr old 1210 fridge?

How often to you park off level with fridge running?

Cooling Unit blockage comes form formation of crystals due to coolant overheating from lack of gravity flow

Once again........
What is freezer temp?
And new thermistor or not...unplug it and run w/o thermistor to cause forced cooling (no thermistor/no temp sensing therefore continuous cooling cycle)
Old 05-14-2019, 12:17 AM   #11

I full time. I’ve been in LA for a couple of months helping out my mom after a stroke, so it’s been plugged in. My leveling gear says it’s level, and I also have aftermarket levels, which also say it’s level, so if the fridge is not level, it was in the installation of the new one. It’s down to 32 degrees now, so I guess banging it out did the trick?
Old 05-14-2019, 06:26 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
IMHO it take a good 10 to 12 hours without opening the doors to cool these type of refrigerators down.so just let it alone for a while.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:53 AM   #13

Banging is nothing more then a band-aid attempt......

IF you have blockage it is PERMANENT

The crystals do NOT go back into solution....dislodging them just allows them to move thru tubing to another spot

Fridge temp got down to 50*F ---then you out warm food in and temp went up to 60*F
Now temp is cooled down to 32*F ........what temp setting do you have it on? MAX?
Old 05-14-2019, 06:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Banging is nothing more then a band-aid attempt......

IF you have blockage it is PERMANENT

The crystals do NOT go back into solution....dislodging them just allows them to move thru tubing to another spot

Fridge temp got down to 50*F ---then you out warm food in and temp went up to 60*F
Now temp is cooled down to 32*F ........what temp setting do you have it on? MAX?
Old biscuit, face it he's not going to answer your questions so you can help him.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold