Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2016, 05:36 PM   #1

Norcold Temp Problem

I have a 2006 Winnebago Voyage 39' with a Norcold 4 door refrig with ice maker. Outside temp is 100 degree and high humidity. My refrig will only cool to 40 to 45 degree, doesn't matter if its on LP or 120v. Cooling motor is running. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, Sam
gagolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2016, 05:46 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
First thing is to make sure the south and west sun are not on the sie with the frig.

Next is more air in the outside section. Add another 12 VDC fan to push more air. Next add a small 12 volt fan inside the frig. Other than these items, assuming it is cooling as considered normal, you cannot expect a lot from a No-cold frig.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:20 PM   #3

Norcold frig

We ended up having to replace cooling unit. We also got a solar powered fan on roof with fan behind frig. And put a portable small fan in frig. Have had good luck so far
Loonechic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:30 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
If mounted in a slide, there is no place for the heat to get out.
Add more air-flow by fan at the bottom or, better yet
fans at the top blowing the heat out will help a lot.
My Norcold 1200 does fine even in the 100's, but I have
retro-fitted four fans at the top exhausting the heat.
Norcold specifically does not suggest slide mounting.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:47 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagolfer View Post

I have a 2006 Winnebago Voyage 39' with a Norcold 4 door refrig with ice maker. Outside temp is 100 degree and high humidity. My refrig will only cool to 40 to 45 degree, doesn't matter if its on LP or 120v. Cooling motor is running. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, Sam
Welcome to the NotSoCold Club.

Been there and done that!

You will most likely have to throw a bunch of money at the fridge in a useless attempt to make the fridge perform better. I did and eventually regretted every dollar and all the time I put into the worthless POC.

I cannot offer you any reasonable magical fixes that will make it run better. because there aren't any.

All I can say is that mine is long gone and I now have a "real" refrigerator.

Good luck!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:22 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I think 40-45 is about all it can do in those temps, especially if in the full sun on the fridge side. And doubly so if the fridge is in a slide. You can help it along with the air flow improvements that others have suggested and maybe gain a few degrees.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:44 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Sam, I would add additional airflow through the coils outside. I had a similar problem and that solved mine. Below is the thread detailing my experiments. Look at posts # 25, 43, and 44.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/fridg...-218996-2.html

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:54 PM   #8

Ours remains cold no matter what the outside temperature is. We only use one of the battery operated fans inside the fridge to better circulate the air. Our normal freezer temp is around 0 degrees and the fridge temp is usually between 34-37 degrees depending on how much food is in it and how often it is being open/closed. Is this a new problem and it worked better before. If so before you give up and run out and spend a lot of money on the advice of some of the Norcold haters, I would try and see if your thermistor was moved somehow, or like MSHappyCampers said in another thread was to soak the burner Tube/orifice in 91% alcohol and that may help. I am always surprised when people refer to it as the NoCold refrigerator, maybe we just got lucky but we have had two of them so far, and one dometic. So far the one that lasted the longest was a Norcold that worked great for the 15 years we owned it.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:12 AM   #9

I have had some issues with my Norcold 1210 but got some help from Norcold Guy (Norcold Parts | Norcold RV Refrigerators and Parts For Sale!). Last summer I couldn't get the refrigerator section below 50. Fans were working all the time. I did eventually get it working well but it took some more baffles made of sheet metal. I had to install some curved baffles to help direct air flow out of the upper vent because I have a double side wall vent setup. Am currently in mid 90's temps and my refrigerator stays around 35F. The fact that your refrigerator is cooling and just not as cold as it should be would make me think that is isn't a cooling unit problem. If you just can't get it to cool better, contact the company I used. They're professional and know these refrigerators really well. Ask for Bryan.

Norcold Refrigerator Help
PJtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:28 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Take that small fridge fan (mine is a Camco) and put it right on the top shelf pointing right at the cooling fins...maybe only and inch or so away. My temps went from the high 30's to the high 20's in a couple of hours. Also when you use this method upon first turning on the fridge, it will reduce cool down times by at least 50%. No expensive fixes needed. Try it.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:38 PM   #11

Had a similar issue with our Norcold 4 door. That, combined with the risk of fire, recalls, etc - I ended up changing out the cooling unit. Bought it on ebay for $1075. It's the Amish built one. Direct replacement, everything lines up and fits good. Did the labor myself. One of the best upgrades we have done, it will freeze bottled water on setting 6 of 9 and that's in 90 plus Florida weather. Suggest this upgrade if the budget allows. Other option would be the residential switch which in my case one side of the windshield would need to be removed to get the fridge in where the cooling unit I replaced I did it in the coach.
jblondon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold