Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2015, 11:53 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Ho: We are very happy with our Whirlpool, and it does have ice/water in the door. You also need to pay attention to how it will be powered when it isn't plugged in to shore power. I don't know what you now have, but it should be a sin wave inverter at least 2000 watts. We are happy with our OEM set up with a modified sin wave inverter for the rest of the coach, so we just added an inverter for the RR. (cost was about $1000) Oh, we also added two batteries, so we now have six 6-volt batteries.

And, by the way, getting rid of the 1210 Nevercold was the best thing we have done to the coach.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2015, 06:03 PM   #16

Dirko

Another issue to contemplate. We currently have a 2000 watt modified sine wave with 4 six volt batteries. There is no room for additional batteries unless we gobble up bay storage. I was thinking that adding a 1000 watt psw inverter dedicated to the fridge would be adequate. We don't plan to do much if any boon docking but plans do change. I plan to get options from several shops including Newmar and go from there. Thanks for the help it's appreciated

Bill

Old 12-11-2015, 09:50 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
I have had a Samsung RF18 for about a year now, running off the factory MSW inverter. It seems to do fine on MSW. I think you will be OK with your 4 batteries as long as you understand your limitations. If you plan to boondock a lot, you may wish for more. I had 6 batteries and just increased it to 8.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:29 AM   #18

I read in the past that Samsung was ok with a MSW, but have never read anything about Whirlpool. We already had a 2800w PSW so it was a no brainer to put in our Whirlpool.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by billandkaren View Post
Dirko

Another issue to contemplate. We currently have a 2000 watt modified sine wave with 4 six volt batteries. There is no room for additional batteries unless we gobble up bay storage. I was thinking that adding a 1000 watt psw inverter dedicated to the fridge would be adequate. We don't plan to do much if any boon docking but plans do change. I plan to get options from several shops including Newmar and go from there. Thanks for the help it's appreciated

Bill
I went from Norcold to RF18 last yr. Had a ME2012 (2000w MSW) and that worked but still replaced it with a MS2812 (2800w TSW). This last week I fabricated a battery tray which I installed in the engine compartment just behind/below the right hand side tail light which happens to be fairly close to my battery compartment, all cables were long enough to reach the new location of my 2 engine batteries... I now have room in the battery tray for 2 more coach batteries (total of 6). Today I am installing a ME-BMK and replacing my battery temp sensor to almost complete this upgrade. In the spring, am buying 6 new batteries..
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:49 AM   #20
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by billandkaren View Post
Dirko

Bill
Samsung seems to be the only of the larger fridges that will work on MSW. I'm not sure if it's the through the door ice or the Whirlpool brand that requires PSW, but Brannon Hutchison in Red Bay always uses Whirlpools, and he always installs a PSW inverter if the coach doesn't already have one.

As far as extra batteries are concerned, we ran a Samsung RF197 (current equivalent model is the RF18) on a 1000W MSW inverter and two 6V batteries. With the TV and satellite DVR also running on standby on the same inverter, we could go about 6 hours without the batteries discharging below 50%. In our current 5th wheel which doesn't have the outlets for the TV and DVR wired up to the inverter, we can go about 8 hours on two 6V batteries. Of course, your MH alternator will charge the house batteries when you're on the road, so you should be able to go much longer.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:20 AM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
There have been two shops mentioned here in FL. I have seen work from both of them and they are outstanding. Let them tell you what fridge will fit and look the best, they are professionals and do it everyday.

If you want it done this time of year, you can't beat coming the FL where it will be 80 today. It is snowbird season, so you may have several a head of you.
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:58 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Samsung is the only mfgr willing to go on-record as supporting MSW inverter operation. The others may work, but they won't declare cause they haven't tested it.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:59 PM   #23
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Is the Samsung a low energy fridge or something? There are other similar fridges out there that are much lower price. LG has one for about $800 that is a little smaller than the Samsung.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:10 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have 4 group 31 batteries with a MSW inverter and put in a Samsung 197 two plus years ago. I have had absolutely no problems with my setup. Thought about adding two more batteries but elected to add solar cells partly because it is stored in a location with no access to power. Added 2-100 watt panels the first year and have subsequently added 2 more. Total cost about $700 but now have tremendous flexibility boondocking. I would highly recommend to anyone thinking of adding batteries to seriously consider solar in their place. Gives you much more flexibility albeit at a higher first cost but with a much longer life expectation. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:25 AM   #25

Thanks for all the support. There is a lot of good info here and will help down the road.
I have been reading all the threads about residential upgrade and it gets a little overwhelming. I am going to follow brobox's advice and let the shops tell me what is the best fit and what I need.

Tags
fridge, norcold