Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2014, 05:47 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Norcold will not turn on

My 1200 Norcold will not turnn on
Fuse oK Check Where plug in ok
Not sure what next
comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2014, 05:59 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by comanche View Post
Not sure what next
You said the fuse is okay, but check to see if you actually have 12v power to the control board.

If you have the black recall box installed, check to see if the red light is on. If not, check to see if there is power into it and out of it. If the red light is on, try holding a magnet near the light for 15-20 seconds to see if it will reset. The recall box shuts down power to the refrigerator when it senses a high temperature in the boiler, but I had two of the recall boxes fail just after turning the units on.

The refrigerator absolutely has to have 12volt power to it. 110 volt is only used when it is in AC mode.

If there is power to the control board, then remove the cover on the control board and check the fuses inside. If those fuses are good and there is power to the board, then it may be a defective control board. David Force and RVCoolingunit.com is a great source for replacement parts. The Dinosaur brand replacement board works well and is around $185.

Here is a link to a pdf file of the service manual. It will guide you through some troubleshooting tests you can run.

http://www.photo-graphic.com/files/Norcold1200.pdf

Good luck with your repair.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:43 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks a lot Dan

I going caming this week end I got some things to
check out
Old 11-26-2014, 06:48 PM   #4

Make sure your house battery switch is in the on position, the fridge will not work if it is in the off position even if you are plugged into shore power.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:14 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Where is house bat. on the dash
When camping two week ago every
thing was find.
And DAN can not think you enought
Old 11-26-2014, 07:49 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Are you level or close to it? I forget the spec, but the Norcold won't run if more than a few degrees out of level.

Cheers,
Old 11-26-2014, 08:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcovey View Post
Are you level or close to it? I forget the spec, but the Norcold won't run if more than a few degrees out of level.

Cheers,
I think you are confusing the published safe operational limits with not turning on at all.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:02 PM   #8

On mine the house battery switch is over the door with all the tank/electric gauges ect., on some it's down by the bottom of the door...but it is the switch that shuts down all your power and the fridge will not work without it in the on position. Being out of level is not good to do but your fridge will still come on.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:04 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Make sure your house battery switch is in the on position, the fridge will not work if it is in the off position even if you are plugged into shore power.
Actually, at least on my rig, I have full 12v power and the fridge works fine when plugged into shore, even when the battery disconnect is turned off. I know because there have been a couple of occasions where I accidently turned off the battery disconnect while plugged in. When I unplugged and started to leave there was no power to the fridge or any other 12v power.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:20 PM   #10

Dan, I'm not even sure what type of MH/RV/year the OP has...just something he might try as in alot of them the battery disconect is the brain for everything except the engine. Does your fridge run on 12v also, mine doesn't so that may be the difference too. On mine nothing works (except the stairs and engine)without the switch in the on position. I thought my fridge went out at first as mine did the same thing, called my Dealer and he is he one who reminded me to turn the disconnect back on.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:54 AM   #11
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by comanche View Post
Not sure what next
Are you aware there are 2 fuses on the circuit board (one for 12V for the board itself and one for 120V for the electric heaters) in addition to any fuses or breakers in the electrical panel of your RV?

Have you had the recall done on your Norcold? Do you have a black box clipped to the cooling could in the back of the fridge? If you do, is there a red light on the box that is lit? If the red light is lit, the recall box had tripped.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:20 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Do you have lights on the control panel at all? If not, one of three things is wrong:

1. You have no 12v power to the main circuit board (check where wire plugs to board). This could be a power source problem, or a shut down by the "little black recall box".
2. 12v fuse is blown on the main circuit board
3. The little board that operates the control panel is dead or disconnected (wire to main board)
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold