Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschuh53 View Post
just went through this in n.c you are good to go with your drivers lic. wife &I brought a 38 ft and payed to have it transported to n.c We found out we could of drove it here on our current driver lic no special endorsement need for motorhome
This is incorrect, and if you read the DMV link I posted, it will tell you which license you need based on the GVWR of your vehicle.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This is straight out of the 2012 NC Drivers Handbook:

"Commercial Licenses (CDL)
A CDL is required for drivers, paid or volunteer, who drive the following types of vehicles that are designed or used to transport passengers or property:

"Class A Motor Vehicle:
A vehicle that has a combined GVWR of at least 26,001 pounds and includes as part of the combination a towed unit that has a GVWR of at least 10,001 pounds.

"Class B Motor Vehicle:

A single motor vehicle that has a GVWR of at least 26,001 pounds.

A combination of motor vehicles that includes as part of the combination a towing unit that has a GVWR of at least 26,001 pounds and a towed unit that has a GVWR of less than 10,001 pounds.

"Class C Motor Vehicle:

A single or combination of motor vehicles not included in Class A or B but meets any of the following descriptions:

Is designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including
the driver; and

Is transporting hazardous materials and is required to be placarded.

"You do not need a CDL to drive recreational vehicles, military equipment, fire and/or emergency equipment or certain farm vehicles. However, a regular license of the appropriate class is required at all times."

"Regular Licenses

"Class A:

Required to operate any combination of non-commercial vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of less than 26,001 pounds or including a towed unit with a GVWR of at least 10,001 pounds.

"Class B:
Required to operate any single non-commercial vehicle with a GVWR of at least 26,001 pounds or any such vehicle while towing another vehicle with a GVWR of less than 10,001 pounds.

"Class C:
Required to operate any single non-commercial vehicle that is not carrying hazardous material in quantities required to be placarded or is designed to carry no more than 15 passengers including the driver with a GVWR of more than 10,000 pounds and less than 26,001 pounds; or any vehicle towing a vehicle which has a combined GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds operated by a driver at least eighteen years old."

Reading all of that indicates that if your MH exceeds a GVWR of 26,000 pounds you need a Regular license that is either has a Class A or B endorsement depending on the weight of the towed vehicle.

gmadams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmadams View Post
This is straight out of the 2012 NC Drivers Handbook:

"Commercial Licenses (CDL)
A CDL is required for drivers, paid or volunteer, who drive the following types of vehicles that are designed or used to transport passengers or property:

"Class A Motor Vehicle:
A vehicle that has a combined GVWR of at least 26,001 pounds and includes as part of the combination a towed unit that has a GVWR of at least 10,001 pounds.

"Class B Motor Vehicle:

• A single motor vehicle that has a GVWR of at least 26,001 pounds.

• A combination of motor vehicles that includes as part of the combination a towing unit that has a GVWR of at least 26,001 pounds and a towed unit that has a GVWR of less than 10,001 pounds.

"Class C Motor Vehicle:

A single or combination of motor vehicles not included in Class A or B but meets any of the following descriptions:

• Is designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including
the driver; and

• Is transporting hazardous materials and is required to be placarded.

"You do not need a CDL to drive recreational vehicles, military equipment, fire and/or emergency equipment or certain farm vehicles. However, a regular license of the appropriate class is required at all times."

"Regular Licenses

"Class A:

Required to operate any combination of non-commercial vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of less than 26,001 pounds or including a towed unit with a GVWR of at least 10,001 pounds.

"Class B:

Required to operate any single non-commercial vehicle with a GVWR of at least 26,001 pounds or any such vehicle while towing another vehicle with a GVWR of less than 10,001 pounds.

"Class C:

Required to operate any single non-commercial vehicle that is not carrying hazardous material in quantities required to be placarded or is designed to carry no more than 15 passengers including the driver with a GVWR of more than 10,000 pounds and less than 26,001 pounds; or any vehicle towing a vehicle which has a combined GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds operated by a driver at least eighteen years old."

Reading all of that indicates that if your MH exceeds a GVWR of 26,000 pounds you need a Regular license that is either has a Class A or B endorsement depending on the weight of the towed vehicle.
I will need a Class B.

Thanks for the info

Curt
Curtisgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Airborne!

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtisgeiger View Post
So it looks like in NC I do not need any but my current class C to drive this 43ft DP coach with Tag Axles and full air brakes towing a 20 foot trailer?
Keep in mind that states have different maximum combined vehicle lengths. Check your state and any state you may visit for maximum combined length. Your 43 ft. coach plus 20 ft. trailer may exceed limits. Be sure to determine how each state measures !!

This may help:
http://www.actiondonation.org/articl...wing-laws.html
Old 08-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #20

Quote:
I will need a Class B.

Thanks for the info

Curt
Might I suggest, especially so if you will be towing a trailer, that go skip the B and go straight to A. I dont know anyone who has a B who says they didnt wish they would have gone ahead and gotten the Class A.

If youre trailer has 5200lb axles on it, youll need the Class A anyway (since the GVWR for the trailer is over 10k).

Also, since its been mentioned, "legal" length in NC is 60ft. I say "legal" because its not enforced. NCSHP would rather issue overweight tickets, since those fines are generally in the thousands.

G.S. 20-116
Old 08-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
You will need, having lived in NC for many years, a non-commercial class B. if your GVWR exceeds 26,001 lbs. as mentioned most DMV give you a road test as well as the written test. Might as well get the class A as mentioned almost all areas for the non commercial class b are included. Don't know about the health certification. I did not get it as my age would probably fail me.LOL!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:

Also, since its been mentioned, "legal" length in NC is 60ft. I say "legal" because its not enforced]
I will definitely be over 60 in length -- close to 65. So will I get pulled over by the authorities for being over 60 ft?
Curtisgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #23

Quote:
I will definitely be over 60 in length -- close to 65. So will I get pulled over by the authorities for being over 60 ft?
My experience has been no. And Ive towed many a mile in NC ranging from 50 to 75 feet without an issue.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cucamelsmd15 View Post
Incorrect. It even says so in the DMV excerpt you posted.
If you're over 26k GVWR, you need a Class A license. Its NOT a CDL. Your class C is for normal passenger vehicles. NCDOT: License Fees
Read the description for Class A.
A fine point, but you're slightly wrong.

A combination of vehicles [each of which is] under 26k requires the Class A, or any combo if the towed unit is over 10k.

Over 26k GVWR requires the Class B.

I'm checking this closely. I was told unequivocally by the NC DMV one year ago that I needed no special licensing (other than my Class C) to drive my DutchStar (31k). As I read their manual, I need a Class B for the DS.

Of course, I also interpret it to mean I need a Class B to tow a popup with a small SUV. I'm on the phone tomorrow.
JFXG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:57 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
A fine point, but you're slightly wrong.

A combination of vehicles [each of which is] under 26k requires the Class A, or any combo if the towed unit is over 10k.

Over 26k GVWR requires the Class B.

I'm checking this closely. I was told unequivocally by the NC DMV one year ago that I needed no special licensing (other than my Class C) to drive my DutchStar (31k). As I read their manual, I need a Class B for the DS.

Of course, I also interpret it to mean I need a Class B to tow a popup with a small SUV. I'm on the phone tomorrow.
If you read the thread, I posted a clarification on this. Ive been over and over this before I got my Class A. A combination of vehicles that are under 26k is still a Class C. It doesnt matter if youre in an 8000lb dually towing a 17,999lb trailer, its still a Class C.

The only time the 10k towed unit is in play is with the Class B/A licenses, and it is the only differentiation between the two. The law is written such that you dont need a Class A to operate a pickup truck with a large trailer, and in fact, most manufacturers offer a 9900lb or flat 10,000lb GVWR in order to skirt some states licensing requirements, NC being one of those.

Im not sure how people keep getting this confused, since if you actually read the NCGS and the DMV info posted in this thread, its pretty clear cut. I will, however, rehash it for the audience:

Class C: Any combination of vehicles up to 26000 GVWR. This is including, but not limited to, a 24,000 pound trailer strapped behind a 2000lb Miata. Makes no difference.

Class B: A vehicle over 26,000 GVWR towing a unit less than 10,000lb GVWR. A motorhome with a TOAD, if you will.

Class A: A vehicle over 26,000 GVWR towing a unit over 10,000 GVWR. This is a good example:

Class As are only for the big boy toys, only subject to manufacturer and federal GVWR limits.

This is not my first rodeo with NCSHP or NCDMV. You can believe me or not, but I am correct. Trust me, you dont want to have a coulda/woulda/shoulda moment when youre having a roadside chat with your local friendly NCSHP officer.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cucamelsmd15 View Post
If you read the thread, I posted a clarification on this. Ive been over and over this before I got my Class A. A combination of vehicles that are under 26k is still a Class C. It doesnt matter if youre in an 8000lb dually towing a 17,999lb trailer, its still a Class C.

The only time the 10k towed unit is in play is with the Class B/A licenses, and it is the only differentiation between the two. The law is written such that you dont need a Class A to operate a pickup truck with a large trailer, and in fact, most manufacturers offer a 9900lb or flat 10,000lb GVWR in order to skirt some states licensing requirements, NC being one of those.

Im not sure how people keep getting this confused, since if you actually read the NCGS and the DMV info posted in this thread, its pretty clear cut. I will, however, rehash it for the audience:

Class C: Any combination of vehicles up to 26000 GVWR. This is including, but not limited to, a 24,000 pound trailer strapped behind a 2000lb Miata. Makes no difference.

Class B: A vehicle over 26,000 GVWR towing a unit less than 10,000lb GVWR. A motorhome with a TOAD, if you will.

Class A: A vehicle over 26,000 GVWR towing a unit over 10,000 GVWR. This is a good example:

Class As are only for the big boy toys, only subject to manufacturer and federal GVWR limits.

This is not my first rodeo with NCSHP or NCDMV. You can believe me or not, but I am correct. Trust me, you dont want to have a coulda/woulda/shoulda moment when youre having a roadside chat with your local friendly NCSHP officer.
So if I understand you correctly, any vehicle with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs towing a vehicle weighing 5,000 needs a Regular license with a Class B endorsement. Is that correct?
gmadams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmadams View Post
So if I understand you correctly, any vehicle with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs towing a vehicle weighing 5,000 needs a Regular license with a Class B endorsement. Is that correct?
Its a Class B license, but yes, you're correct. The type of license isn't an endorsement. On the front of the license it states the class. The only endorsements NC still uses are M (motorcycles), H (placarded vehicles), P (passenger, not to be confused with class C passenger vehicles), S (school bus), T (tandem trailers, aka widowmakers) and X (hazardous materials). They used to issue N endorsements for tank vehicles, but I think that has been superseded by Fed standards and H endorsements.

Unfortunately, I know far more useless information about the NC licensing system than any person should be required to know.

Edit: Here's some irony for you. My class A also has my M endorsement. I guess that means I can pilot that 26,001 GVWR motorcycle I've always wanted now.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #28
OWV

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctox View Post
Curt,
You might be getting some bad information above.
I live in NC and asked about the requirement for a license to drive a motorhome when I changed from a Florida to a NC license. The DMV office driver's license examiner said I did indeed need a Class B license if the motorhome is over 26,000lbs. I believe yours will exceed that weight also.
The Class B is not a CDL, just different from your normal Class C.
You will have to study a few sections of the CDL study manual; those on air brakes (I think your DP has air brakes), general driving safety and regulations. It is not difficult, just something to read and basically know signage, driving rules, etc. The air brake section will be the only thing different from the usual driving test.
I had to drive my MH with the examiner for just a short route around the small town I live near. They will want to see that you can handle the rig and not hit anything like curbs, stop signs, etc.
I also had to go through a simple "pre-flight" of the coach to include checking the lights, turn signals, air systems (for the brakes) and wipers.
My entire road test wasn't more than half hour to 45 minutes.
I thought it was much easier or simpler than expected.
There may be some who live and are licensed in NC that drive a large MH without a Class B, but if they should be involved in an accident, or be stopped for some violation it could be much more of an inconvenience than just getting a Class B.
Stop by a DMV License office and ask.
Tim,,,
Earlier today I started a thread about changing residency to NC and registering a new MH in NC. Hopefully you and other NC residents who registered their coach in NC have seen the thread and will offer comments. Thank you.

OWV, Our Wandering View
Entrega Aspire, 44B, on order