Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2015, 07:44 PM   #1
Community Moderator

Not Bragging, Just Trying to Understand

my last year's trip to canada ran about 6000 miles. after getting back, i added up fuel refills to divide the total mileage. it surprised me for what i got - about 9.5mpg. over the years, i have heard people saying a lot about 6-8mpg on this board. i questioned myself if i did anything wrong in the calculation...

this time i made sure i was doing right - starting out from gilroy farm plaza, i filled up the tank to the neck, wrote down the total mileage on the odometer, and kicked off the trip. roamed upper ca, spent 2 weeks in oregon, and one week in wa. this afternoon i reached burlington wa and refilled the tank to the neck again in safeway (preparing to cross border to canada for banff np tomorrow). total mileage: 987 miles, fuel burnt 98 gallons. calculated i got 10.07mpg.

i didn't use any additives and no milling. i'm pondering what could be the contributors on the result... the only thing i can think of - i removed the w/d combo. i wonder if anyone else got close to this number or better with cummins isc engine... (please don't take this as a bloody show off, just a sweet fact ).
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2015, 08:01 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sweet,,, No brag just fact. Good info. I do not average as well.

With our our boat we average 9MPG pulling our boat we average about 7.5MPG.

Not great but I can live with it.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
my last year's trip to canada ran about 6000 miles. after getting back, i added up fuel refills to divide the total mileage. it surprised me for what i got - about 9.5mpg. over the years, i have heard people saying a lot about 6-8mpg on this board. i questioned myself if i did anything wrong in the calculation...

this time i made sure i was doing right - starting out from gilroy farm plaza, i filled up the tank to the neck, wrote down the total mileage on the odometer, and kicked off the trip. roamed upper ca, spent 2 weeks in oregon, and one week in wa. this afternoon i reached burlington wa and refilled the tank to the neck again in safeway (preparing to cross border to canada for banff np tomorrow). total mileage: 987 miles, fuel burnt 98 gallons. calculated i got 10.07mpg.

i didn't use any additives and no milling. i'm pondering what could be the contributors on the result... the only thing i can think of - i removed the w/d combo. i wonder if anyone else got close to this number or better with cummins isc engine... (please don't take this as a bloody show off, just a sweet fact ).
how many gal tank is it..
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:39 PM   #4

Our old unit weighed 27,000 pounds, had a 300 Cummins, and was steady around 9.5MPG. However, most of our driving was flat-landing, and zero toads.

What you got with a larger coach was excellent. We did most of our driving around 62MPH....what was your normal speed?
Old 08-13-2015, 08:59 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[i didn't use any additives and no milling. i'm pondering what could be the contributors on the result... the only thing i can think of - i removed the w/d combo. i wonder if anyone else got close to this number or better with cummins isc engine... (please don't take this as a bloody show off, just a sweet fact ).[/QUOTE]

Not even close or better but seems to be improving as the mileage piles up. Have noticed an improvement of about .5 mpg in the last 4500 mi running at same speeds and conditions with about 43,000 on it now. How many miles on your coach?
Rich
Old 08-13-2015, 09:20 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
how many gal tank is it..
the tank is 100 gallon nominal iirc. it was very low, the needle was flirting with "e" but no light yet when i got there.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:22 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Our old unit weighed 27,000 pounds, had a 300 Cummins, and was steady around 9.5MPG. However, most of our driving was flat-landing, and zero toads.

What you got with a larger coach was excellent. We did most of our driving around 62MPH....what was your normal speed?
on flat roads i set at 62, down hills could be 65.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:25 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvarner View Post
How many miles on your coach?
Rich
79539 as of now.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:33 PM   #9
Community Moderator

another thing may have some effect - a set of new sumitomo tires with exact manufacturer recommended pressures - front 120 psi and rear 110 psi.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:43 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I have 11mpg, but I'm sure my coach is lighter than yours.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:51 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
another thing may have some effect - a set of new sumitomo tires with exact manufacturer recommended pressures - front 120 psi and rear 110 psi.

Well then, next year is tire year for me. I'll look at sumitomo. My fronts run about 100 and rears 110 according to my TPMS. Seems to ride well on Kelly tires. I have heard of mileage improvements over time but probably won't have the coach long enough for another 35,000 miles. Thanks
Rich
Old 08-13-2015, 10:26 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
1 thing your are using liters not gal ?????
just reread your post it was all in the states right
Santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:26 PM   #13

Quote:
the tank is 100 gallon nominal iirc. it was very low, the needle was flirting with "e" but no light yet when i got there.

In your original post you said you added 98 gallons. Wow! You cut it close don't you? Maybe the reason you see higher mpg numbers is because you're not hauling around all the weight in spare fuel.

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:36 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Navigator View Post
In your original post you said you added 98 gallons. Wow! You cut it close don't you? Maybe the reason you see higher mpg numbers is because you're not hauling around all the weight in spare fuel.

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
i knew . actually it was not planned - previously i "gasbuddy"ed another station in mt vernon but talking while driving with dw made me miss the exit i had to continue driving until... thank god i made it