Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2015, 09:28 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I built something similar but I added a dump valve, 1/2 in ball valve, at the gauge location.

Watching the air pressure gauge when it drops below the pressure needed for my tires, I can open the ball valve and dump air until the coach pressure drops to 90 PSI which is when the compressor regulator tells the compressor to start producing. When the pressure exceeds the required tire pressure, I can put a little more air in the tire.

It's not a real fast process but it works without the hassle of carrying an AC compressor.

I'm referring to the video above with the air gauge on the end of the air hose.

Sorry I don't have a picture. Might be able to get one if needed.

ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2015, 09:45 PM   #16

Make sure your pressure gauge can read pressures over 100 psi. My car type pressure gauge never read above 100 and then I found out that was it's max.

Purchased a new digital gauge that reads up to 150 psi and problem solved.

mjeffrey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:37 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Your onboard compressor will pump your system to about 120psi, then shut off. When system usage bleeds the system pressure down to about 90psi, the compressor comes back into play. So your internal system will fluctuate from 90 to 120 psi.

The efficiency of the tire fill depends on two air factors- pressure and volume. If you've got adequate pressure- say, 150psi- but low volume, the air will flow toward the tire, but in very small quantity, and it will take a long time to add to the tire. If you've got high volume but marginal pressure, you'll have plenty of air to pump up the tire, but no way to push it in.

If you need anything over 100-105 psi in your tires, it will at best be a slow process, and at worst you will actually bleed air out of the tire. There are plenty of instructions available for you to make a nice "Rube Goldberg" kind of setup that will supposedly allow you to trick your compressor into action. But remember, in the end you're still going to spend $30 on parts, still have to stand there and play with this thing to make it pump air, and you're still going to have to run your main engine- all 350-500 HP- just to add air to a few tires.

Far better off, imho, to buy a small 110VAC compressor sized to the job. You will need something about 1.5hp, 150psi min, with about a 3-6 gallon tank. Such things are available at many home centers, Harbor Freight, etc., for around $100, and will prove very useful to have around for other purposes that crop up from time to time. Most will fit in a belly bay for easy transport.

Good Luck
Well said! Much better than using a 300+ HP compressor that is marginable at best.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:56 AM   #18

I have a little devise that goes inline and boost the pressure to 150 plus. I think there called intensifiers. It works fine and I don't need to catch the compressor on the upstroke. It uses no power and can be held in one hand.
Rod

Bob Dickman Tire Center - Air Pressure Maintenance Aids
Old 01-05-2015, 01:12 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
IASM: How exactly does that work? How does it create more pressure than it is receiving without power? Sounds interesting! Thanks! /ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:47 AM   #20
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IASM View Post
I have a little devise that goes inline and boost the pressure to 150 plus. I think there called intensifiers. It works fine and I don't need to catch the compressor on the upstroke. It uses no power and can be held in one hand.
Rod

For the price of one of those it looks like someone could buy 3 or 4 pancake compressors. Not getting why this would be better option, not to mention John's point about a 300-500 HP compressor vs something practical.
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:17 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by IASM View Post
Rod

Odd the link to how it works does not work.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Old 01-05-2015, 10:24 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
....Many get a 150 PSI job at Harbor Freight.. I have not tried theirs .....

Mine (pictured above) came from HF. Running fine for two years now.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:28 AM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
Holy cow. I spent more than an hour today trying to top-up my tires for potential movement to a shop on Tuesday. I did a lot of work, and accomplished nothing. There was insufficient pressure in the air brake system to do any good, so I connected a couple of hoses and tried my 20-year-old shop compressor, which also didn't do the trick.

My tires are supposed to be at 105 front, 95 rear. I can't get them above 100 PSI with any of my current tools. So, I guess I'm shopping for a compressor tomorrow. Any suggestions what I need for PSI at the compressor? I see lots of portable compressors meant to drive pneumatic nail guns in the 150 PSI range. Is this a good idea, or will I regret not buying something rated for more volume?

It seems like I should be able to do this with the air brake system, but there isn't enough air pressure at idle. I think that I'm supposed to be able to use the cruise control to make the engine idle faster, but my cruise isn't working, even on the road.

Frustrated,
Mike
I just got a ViAir 40047 400P-RV automatic portable compressor from Amazon. They were recommended by others in another thread and received it for Christmas. My DW got it on Amazon and works great. I run between 110 and 125 psi in my tires on my 40' DP MH. It comes in a kit and has plenty of hose and accessories. Just hook it to your coach battery start you engine and air up to your heart desire. They cost about $280 but well worth it AND you can carry it with you. Look it up on Amazon.
Let me know what you decide
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:40 AM   #24
JDL

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
IASM: How exactly does that work? How does it create more pressure than it is receiving without power? Sounds interesting! Thanks! /ken
Ken,
It is an Air to Air amplifier. It basically has driven and a compressor side, you happen to feed the driven side from the same source as the "suction" of the compressor side with a regulator to control the "discharge" side PSI. It vents the "driven" pressure to atmosphere between strokes. It is using the existing air supply to produce more PSI, which requires running of the engine to make up the source air as it is compressed and "consumed".

I use a real air compressor at home when/if I need to air up, and I have a rig built like the one in the video with a dump valve to force the on board compressor to load up. I run 100 PSI in my tires, I find that 110 on up works fast enough for the one time I have had to "air up" a tire.

On another note, I have had to only do this once a year or so. I try to set my tire pressures in 50* or so weather and then let them ride. I check often but rarely fill.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:05 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
IASM: How exactly does that work?
Boyle's Law.

Quote:
....How does it create more pressure than it is receiving without power?...

It doesn't. The main engine is running. That is the energy source to recompress the air.

For $500 you could call road service to come air up your tires 5 or 6 times.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:13 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Boyle's Law.

It doesn't. The main engine is running. That is the energy source to recompress the air.

For $500 you could call road service to come air up your tires 5 or 6 times.
That means the coach engine is the power source to operate this device. Quite inefficient IMO. I'll keep my Harbor Freight 150psi compressor that cost $59.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:25 PM   #27

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It bought a Porter Cable 150 PSI, 6 Gal. compressor at Lowes this morning for $90. It made quick work of the tire inflation. Only weighs 34 pounds, so lugging it around is no problem.

MH is pointed down the driveway, ready for 7:30 AM departure to the shop. Roof reseal, new driver's side windshield, state safety inspection. Tires are next, but that's another thread.

Mike

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1420489513.063660.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  125.8 KB
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:26 PM   #28
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
It bought a Porter Cable 150 PSI, 6 Gal. compressor at Lowes this morning for $90. It made quick work of the tire inflation. Only weighs 34 pounds, so lugging it around is no problem.

MH is pointed down the driveway, ready for 7:30 AM departure to the shop. Roof reseal, new driver's side windshield, state safety inspection. Tires are next, but that's another thread.

Mike

Attachment 82688
Good deal, that's the same one I have. Works great as you found out.

bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires