Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2015, 06:55 PM   #29

I like the VIAIR portable compressor. I am not sure what size tire you have but here is a link to the site.

VIAIR Corporation - Portable Compressors

Works like butter.

-Brian
cowrv39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2015, 11:42 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
Holy cow. I spent more than an hour today trying to top-up my tires for potential movement to a shop on Tuesday. I did a lot of work, and accomplished nothing. There was insufficient pressure in the air brake system to do any good, so I connected a couple of hoses and tried my 20-year-old shop compressor, which also didn't do the trick.

My tires are supposed to be at 105 front, 95 rear. I can't get them above 100 PSI with any of my current tools. So, I guess I'm shopping for a compressor tomorrow. Any suggestions what I need for PSI at the compressor? I see lots of portable compressors meant to drive pneumatic nail guns in the 150 PSI range. Is this a good idea, or will I regret not buying something rated for more volume?

It seems like I should be able to do this with the air brake system, but there isn't enough air pressure at idle. I think that I'm supposed to be able to use the cruise control to make the engine idle faster, but my cruise isn't working, even on the road.

Frustrated,
Mike
Why can't you just adjust the pressure switch on your shop compressor to handle the higher pressure?? Seems like a shop compressor with tank should be able to handle this.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:51 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoleInOne View Post
Why can't you just adjust the pressure switch on your shop compressor to handle the higher pressure?? Seems like a shop compressor with tank should be able to handle this.

I bought a new compressor because my old one would no longer produce enough pressure (even at max setting) for the MH tires. It's fine for car tires and occasional air wrench use, but no more than that.

Mike
Old 01-06-2015, 12:01 PM   #32

X2 on the Viair system. I particularly like it because of its small size. The down side is because it doesn't have a tank it is not as good at blowing dust off anything but it is amazing at inflating large tires
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:06 PM   #33

I like using the portable compressor. Diesel fuel is more than the power for the compressor.
Garymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:11 PM   #34

I use a small Sears 150, as that way I have it in the garage for all the other tires and things in my life. But, I had to mod it slightly. While the compressor will easily do 150, the regulator wouldn't deliver much over 95, regardless of how it was set. So I re-did the plumbing between the output and the regulator, and now I can pop the regulator off when I want to do the MH tires, and put it back on for all the other things I use the compressor for. You could just leave it off, but I need to set it low for use with the paint gun.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:12 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
X2 on the Viair system. I particularly like it because of its small size. The down side is because it doesn't have a tank it is not as good at blowing dust off anything but it is amazing at inflating large tires
They do make a system that has a small frame mounted tank . i just saw one on another website. They are a bit expensive for the higher quality compressors.

Viar On-board Air System
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:43 PM   #36

Your right Scott I forgot about those models I believe they are mostly used for people with lift kits. I wanted a small frame system for tire inflation so I went with the tankless, thinking I could use the engine compressor if I need to blow out a filter
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:34 AM   #37

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Why is air pressure lower at air chuck than gauge on dash??

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Suggest a pancake compressor from Sears with 150# cutoff...............or something similar.
If using The Coach's air system
Built air up gizzmo - attached to on board air. Dash shows 115+/-. Gizzmo only shows 65ish. What's up with that???
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:05 AM   #38

For the OP, 100psi all around would have been more than sufficient to drive the MH to the service shop. Never that critical.

Tags
tires