Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-19-2015, 07:38 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Hit_the_Rhod's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Salvisa, KY
Posts: 2,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
You bet I do. In 1967 I got a Mustang which I still have, And then in '69 I got the "Judge" which I will NEVER get rid of, and I have a '57 Belair I picked up a number of years ago. I've actually dollied the Mustang a few times.
I had a 1967 Triumph Spitfire Mk 3 that I purchased in the late '70's. If you know Triumphs, you will understand when I say it needed WORK! I told myself that I would wait at least one year before I tore it apart to fix it.

I lasted about 6 months . . . Or rather IT lasted about 6 months! I stripped it, had it dipped, came out looking like Swiss cheese. I fixed, braised, welded, leaded, etc, re-wired (intelligently, not a fire waiting to happen), put in in aircraft circuit breakers, Imron Emerald Green polyurethane paint, re-upholstered the seats/interior, rebuilt the engine, all new brakes, and DOT 7 silicone brake fluid, etc. Ended up half way through that I should have picked a car that would have been WORTH something when finished, not a Spitfire . . . but I LIKED that Spitfire, all roundy corners and curves, and no ugly "rubber baby buggy bumpers" on the front like later years.

I dragged that car around for 21 years in the Army (when not in storage while I was overseas). Finally sold it a few years ago. Boy was my youngest daughter PISSED! She had always figured that she would get that car. I told her that she hadn't let me in on the "plan", when in reality, I just didn't want her driving around in a cracker box. It never (after I fixed it) left me stranded, never on the side of the road.

Guy asked me when he looked at it if I would guarantee it to make it to Beaumont, TX from Kentucky. I told him, "It's a British sports car, I won't guarantee it to get out of the Driveway! That being said, I would feel getting in it right now and driving it to Washington State! He bought it, drove it to Texas, nary a problem, said it was the most solid British car he'd ever driven . . . .

Damn, I wish I hadn't sold that car . . .
__________________

__________________
Scot & Laura Kellersberger
Newmar 4 wheel drive Dutch Star 3891, 2005 GMC Canyon. Demco Tow Bar & Baseplate U.S.Army (ret)
1985 - 2006
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2015, 08:15 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lowell, Arkansas
Posts: 4,691
Love the British cars. I think we had about 6 of them. There's still a 74 Midget setting in the drive as we speak. It needs another re-store but it was one of those Father Son critical times project that probably saved the kid. He's now a Lt. Col in the AF with 20 years and 4 college degrees under his belt. We won't sell that car.

You do know why the Brits never manufactured TV's?? They couldn't stop the things from leaking oil on to the carpet.

Then there's the LUCAS three position light switches, DIM, FLICKER & OFF.

TeJay
__________________

__________________
TeJay Auto Instructor/4-yrs USAF/ Liz: RN/ WBGO 2014 Vista 30T/ F-53/CHF/5-Star/Koni * Bella & Izzy * Golden /Cocker mix/ Louie The Cat* All Retired
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:48 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Hit_the_Rhod's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Salvisa, KY
Posts: 2,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Love the British cars. I think we had about 6 of them. There's still a 74 Midget setting in the drive as we speak. It needs another re-store but it was one of those Father Son critical times project that probably saved the kid. He's now a Lt. Col in the AF with 20 years and 4 college degrees under his belt. We won't sell that car.

You do know why the Brits never manufactured TV's?? They couldn't stop the things from leaking oil on to the carpet.

Then there's the LUCAS three position light switches, DIM, FLICKER & OFF.

TeJay

Okay, British Car trivia time: what does SU stand for in the case of SU Carbs, also MG stands for what? No searching on Google!
__________________
Scot & Laura Kellersberger
Newmar 4 wheel drive Dutch Star 3891, 2005 GMC Canyon. Demco Tow Bar & Baseplate U.S.Army (ret)
1985 - 2006
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:23 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lowell, Arkansas
Posts: 4,691
The MG is Morris Garage. I'm still thinking on the SU. Well if I did know, which I think I did it's not coming back to me. I'll google it because I have to know, but not post it.

TeJay
__________________
TeJay Auto Instructor/4-yrs USAF/ Liz: RN/ WBGO 2014 Vista 30T/ F-53/CHF/5-Star/Koni * Bella & Izzy * Golden /Cocker mix/ Louie The Cat* All Retired
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:44 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
CJ7ole's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 968
When we leave Michigan for our usual spot down in FL (and the trip back home), I am on a mission to get there. Until last year it was 1250 miles in 2 days. Last year we started leaving at noon just so it would be one long day sandwiched with two shorter ones. We put on an Audible book and that really helps.
__________________
Ole and Anne Anderson, Highland, Michigan
'02 Adventurer 32V, Ford F-53, ours since 4/08,Goodyears, Konis, SeeLevel, CHF
'84 CJ-7 , 5.3 Chevy, 3" lift, 33's, Detroit Locker, Fiberglas tub, winch, hi-lift
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:52 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
datrbone8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Okay, British Car trivia time: what does SU stand for in the case of SU Carbs, also MG stands for what? No searching on Google!

SU = Skinners Union after the family that invented them
__________________
1998 Newmar Dutch Star, 3126B Cat/ Freightliner
2003 Honda Element
" Don't let the same dog bite you twice "
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:17 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
George Schweikle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,200
Continuing on this off-topic theme,

The reason the British drink warm beer is that they have Lucas refrigerators.

And, contrary to accepted teaching, electricity is actually conducted by smoke. Whenever the smoke leaks out, the electrical component stops running (Ebay sells "Smoke injection" kits for British cars).

All in good fun; my first two cars were British; an Austin Healey 100 and 100M (there's no such thing as a 100-4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
...

You do know why the Brits never manufactured TV's?? They couldn't stop the things from leaking oil on to the carpet.

Then there's the LUCAS three position light switches, DIM, FLICKER & OFF.

TeJay
__________________
George Schweikle Lexington, KY
1999 Safari TREK 2830, FMCA 190830, Safari International chapter
1995 Safari TREK 2630, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:40 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Dennis Dean's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 836
All you DP'ers with air ride suspension and Comfort steer complaining about 500 Mile drives PFFFFFT LOL
__________________
Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:03 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Rich-n-Linda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 884
I routinely do 550 to 650 miles per day. It's no big deal.
__________________
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:07 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lowell, Arkansas
Posts: 4,691
We routinely do 250-350 miles a day because we can and choose to do so. Back when we worked and had limited time for vacations and spring break trips we did the 400,500,600, and even straight through 20-25 hours trips. But no more. That was when we were young and had fewer choices.

TeJay
__________________
TeJay Auto Instructor/4-yrs USAF/ Liz: RN/ WBGO 2014 Vista 30T/ F-53/CHF/5-Star/Koni * Bella & Izzy * Golden /Cocker mix/ Louie The Cat* All Retired
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 01:27 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
JFXG's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Today? Mercer, PA
Posts: 3,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Love the British cars............Then there's the LUCAS three position light switches, DIM, FLICKER & OFF.
TeJay

LUCAS -- Prince of Darkness


John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, 3126, '04 Element
__________________
John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:10 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: st.charles mo.
Posts: 1,194
Before I retired I would make the run from St.Louis to St.Petersburg Fl. in 14HRS. Now it takes me at least 3 days but I,m not tired when I get there.
__________________
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:32 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
baraff's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
I had a 1967 Triumph Spitfire Mk 3 that I purchased in the late '70's. If you know Triumphs, you will understand when I say it needed WORK! I told myself that I would wait at least one year before I tore it apart to fix it.

I lasted about 6 months . . . Or rather IT lasted about 6 months! I stripped it, had it dipped, came out looking like Swiss cheese. I fixed, braised, welded, leaded, etc, re-wired (intelligently, not a fire waiting to happen), put in in aircraft circuit breakers, Imron Emerald Green polyurethane paint, re-upholstered the seats/interior, rebuilt the engine, all new brakes, and DOT 7 silicone brake fluid, etc. Ended up half way through that I should have picked a car that would have been WORTH something when finished, not a Spitfire . . . but I LIKED that Spitfire, all roundy corners and curves, and no ugly "rubber baby buggy bumpers" on the front like later years.

I dragged that car around for 21 years in the Army (when not in storage while I was overseas). Finally sold it a few years ago. Boy was my youngest daughter PISSED! She had always figured that she would get that car. I told her that she hadn't let me in on the "plan", when in reality, I just didn't want her driving around in a cracker box. It never (after I fixed it) left me stranded, never on the side of the road.

Guy asked me when he looked at it if I would guarantee it to make it to Beaumont, TX from Kentucky. I told him, "It's a British sports car, I won't guarantee it to get out of the Driveway! That being said, I would feel getting in it right now and driving it to Washington State! He bought it, drove it to Texas, nary a problem, said it was the most solid British car he'd ever driven . . . .

Damn, I wish I hadn't sold that car . . .
I have two Triumphs, a '73 Spitfire and an '80 TR7 Spider. I have put more money into the Spit than I will ever get out (unless they suddenly get more valuable), but it is a joy to drive, easy to work on and always turns heads. Mine is a rare Triumph color, Magenta #92, most folks think it's a custom color, but it's not.
The TR7 is fun also but not as much as the Spit. It's more suited to US roads and certainly more comfortable. It's great for the longer drives and trips.
One of the reason British cars had such a bad rep for the Lucas electrical system is that people would substitute US fuses for the British ones; there is a significant difference. Wiring is all sized to British fuses and American fuses have a thicker element and blow more slowly than British ones. Often the result was damaged wiring harnesses or worse.
Both cars have proved to be very reliable, but both need constant maintenance; not something most folks are willing to do themselves these days.
__________________
Burns & Diane
2005 Winnebago Aspect 26A/2012 Subaru Impreza toad
Illinois! - Where the politicians make the license plates......
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:00 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
mojoracing's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: northern IL
Posts: 2,557
Ive done 800 900 1000 so many times I can't remember. Having to make a race keeps you humping. I made northern Florida to Des Moines in one straight shot. We pulled the motorcycle to the gate as it dropped! Got there late and they wouldn't let us park the rig at the stadium. Had to ride the race bike through downtown streets. Pulled in the loading dock and up to the starting gate and it dropped.... Race ON!
__________________

__________________
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
mojoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recommended RVs Whitneyaa iRV2.com General Discussion 11 06-04-2015 03:30 PM
Recommended Tow Vehicles for an Aspect 27 ft. mycoolbeans Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 1 05-25-2015 03:56 PM
Spartan's recommended process to get underway Gary.Jones Entegra Owner's Forum 14 02-24-2015 07:06 PM
Bella Terra - Highly Recommended Blackcabby Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 16 12-01-2014 07:59 AM
What is the best recommended extended warranty for a MH? jimshawn Class A Motorhome Discussions 14 09-10-2014 08:38 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.