Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2015, 06:01 AM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You know you've gone too long when you think to yourself.......roads going straight........motorhome is pointed straight.......yea a nap wouldn't hurt anyone.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2015, 06:43 AM   #30

Memory's keep popping up after the talk of British cars. In 63' I had a TR-3 that I really couldn't fit in since I'm 6'4", but it was a hoot to drive, and the girls liked it. Took it to Earl Shieb for one of those $29.95 paint jobs...remember those?
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:05 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
Ive done 800 900 1000 so many times I can't remember. Having to make a race keeps you humping. I made northern Florida to Des Moines in one straight shot. We pulled the motorcycle to the gate as it dropped! Got there late and they wouldn't let us park the rig at the stadium. Had to ride the race bike through downtown streets. Pulled in the loading dock and up to the starting gate and it dropped.... Race ON!
That's a pretty common scenario in most forms of motorsports. Drive all day and into the night, pits are closed when you arrive, and you camp outside the gate until they open the next morning. 800 miles is not unusual. Racers are on a mission, and are running on the euphoria of getting to another race. It's the drive home afterwards that's tough.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:06 AM   #32

Unless I'm tired, driving 10 hours a day or more isn't hard. It's a fairly simple routine:

Dogs have us up and moving at 7:00am. Start rolling between 8:00am and 9:00am, and aim for a lunch spot somewhere noon-ish. After an hour to 90 minutes (say 1:30pm) we drive for another 3-4 hours, feed the doggies dinner and give them a quick walk and playtime (taking another hour) and then roll for 2-3 more hours before stopping, eating, etc. Sometimes we keep going, other times not (depends on the variables). But honestly, when we're on a transit day, what's the point of stopping at 5:00pm or 6:00pm? It's not like I'm normally tired much before 10:00pm or 11:00pm, so if the conditions are good, why not cover some additional miles?

I'm sure it'll change when we have tons of time. But even then, moving every single day seems to make less sense than doing one long day followed by one day of no travel at all.

And as far as Lucas goes... did you know they made vacuum cleaners? They were the only Lucas products that didn't suck.

Steve
Old 10-21-2015, 08:33 AM   #33

Correct on both Morris Garage, and Skinners Union! First time I've heard the one about the Lucas Vacuum cleaners!
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:56 AM   #34

We didn't get our RV until after I retired from Boeing at age 58. Because of the awful Flexsteel seats, I had a hard time doing more than 150 miles without getting leg cramps. After a 30-minute walk-about the next stage would be about 60 miles and that was the end of the day.

If it was the last day of a trip and we were on familiar roads getting close to home, I could manage a 300 mile day, with two or three stops. Unfortunately, DW was ergonomically too challenged to be able to drive the rig (not tall enough to reach the pedals), so all the driving was my task.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:06 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
First car was a '57 MGA - later had a Triumph GT-6; both had Lucas systems - "Lucas, the company that brought us darkness"
Old 10-21-2015, 09:18 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Back in the 70s I drove the big trucks nationwide. It was all different back then. Some companies pushed the drivers to do too much. Lots of hard runs. Sometimes my log book wouldn't catch me for 2 or 3 days. Now days most of that is gone and GPS and more liability means the companies make sure their drivers are running legal. We always liked the road though, guess that why we like the coach so much. We'll still make a hard run sometimes if we want to get there for some reason. The hardest ones for me though were on a motorcycle. Did San Diego to Jacksonville FL (2400 miles) in 48 hours once on an H-D. Did 5000 miles in five days too. Iron Butt Association. You could look it up. Just wanted to see if I could do it. Not in a hurry to do that anymore.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:22 AM   #37

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes I had heard of SK Skinners Union but it had slipped my mind. I have a good mind but at this stage of the game if and when i learn something new something has to fall out to make room. Since SK has not been on my discussion list for 20 years it did slip.

Never heard either the Lucas vacuum joke or the, "First company that brought us Darkness," My Son, who is the one that got us into the British cars will appreciate those.

TeJay
Old 10-21-2015, 09:34 AM   #38

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Maybe not a workable plan for you working stiffs... But us retired folk talk about the 2 2 2 rule.

1) Never more than two hours behind wheel without a break.

2) Never more than 200 miles in a day.

3) Always stop by 2 pm to find campsite, get plugged in, take a short nap and be ready for dinner at 6.

Life is good, why rush...?
Old 10-21-2015, 09:41 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
That's a pretty common scenario in most forms of motorsports. Drive all day and into the night, pits are closed when you arrive, and you camp outside the gate until they open the next morning. 800 miles is not unusual. Racers are on a mission, and are running on the euphoria of getting to another race. It's the drive home afterwards that's tough.
The winner's trophy & check riding home with you make it ez! The days you don't win are another story...
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:06 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
We like to keep a single day's drive to something less than 350 miles ... but, there are times when that's simply not practical for any number of reasons. When facing one of those situations - we suck it up and do what we gotta do. With both of us capable of driving - a 600-800 mile day isn't completely out of the question - if/when it's the best of the available options.

When we're stuck doing one of those long days - we try to stack the deck in our favor by sticking to the Interstates (on shorter drives - when we've got a choice, we enjoy taking the back rounds!). We try our best to avoid major metropolitan areas. If we must go thru them ... do what we can to time it so that we at least miss the peak traffic periods. We also make sure that we change drivers regularly. My wife is fine with sleeping when I'm behind the wheel. I can only muster brief catnaps when she's driving - and those, only when we're out in the sticks in relatively light traffic.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:32 AM   #41

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Don't do the back roads around Chattanooga. Bridges are only 10' clearance.. YIKES!
Old 10-21-2015, 12:21 PM   #42

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I did an 680 mile trip in one day (and back 4 days later), like previously stated, working full time, 5 days off kinda forces you either drive longer hours/miles or pick some place closer to home. Wife wanted to go to Lake Havasu City, to the lake we went.