Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2016, 01:46 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
Brain, I understand what you're saying and appreciate your feedback. However, as a Thor owner:
1) I've found it VERY difficult to get non-purchase dealer warranty work, unless it's something highly profitable (a roof job).
2) I see this echo'd with other owners. Some dealers flat reject.
3) It's difficult / impossible to get Thor to allow for on-the-road repairs, where as other manufacturers will work with mobile repair stations.
4) I know that Thor cuts corners on repairs - for example, on my roof job, they wouldn't authorize a Luan over-deck or replacement of roof deck in a re-roof case. When I asked about it, I was told that it "causes" more problems than it solves, but pretty sure that Alpha won't stand by their warranty if re-roofed over the same material. If you want, I can cite photos of what these roof jobs look like when the OSB comes up.

If warranty work was paid out at the same rate and same number of hours, I'd think that any authorized repair facility that wasn't busy would take on work. That simply doesn't seem to be the case..

I understand your frustration, and it's one I share with you as a Fleetwood owner. I will be moving to either a Newmar or Entegra next year and expect that the same will prevail. It's been the same with every one I have owned.

The only thing I was trying to point out that warranty work, in my opinion, is a convenient excuse for some dealerships. We did 600 hours of warranty work in February, which is a "slow" month for us. We average between 700-800 hours a month.

If you are ever in the Memphis area, look me up, I bet we could have some great conversations.

Respectfully,
Brian W.

Blue Ox Baseplate, Blue Ox Tow Bar, Patriot Braking
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2016, 06:32 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcdohc View Post
I bought my 2016 Thor Challenger 37KT in Dec 2015. Before we left the Dealership in Michigan the inverter had to be replaced because it wasn't working. The cell phone charging stations didn't work and needed replacing and a roller under the big slide had dislodged and chewed itself up and had to be replaced. We drove it home to Massachusetts and discovered the steering wheel was 5 or 6 inches off and it needed an alignment, heat wouldn't work on battery, the 3 cabinet draws were misaligned, the electric steps weren't working, the remote control was not able to run the hydraulic system, The Back-up Camera did not have audio as advertised. We had that stuff fixed at our local Thor dealer. We went to Florida early February for 5 weeks. Now the problems are the windshield wipers are not usable because they tangle up with each other, the shower walls have pulled away at the bottom and now allow water to leak all over the floor, The kitchen sink leaks to the under cabinet, the flimsy hose that connects to the shower head burst in the middle of a shower, The transmission overdrive button on the shifter does not work, the driver's seat pivots left to right while you drive and will not lock in place, The dashboard AC does not work, The mattress has collapsed itself bad enough where needs to be replaced. The hydraulic system turns itself on while going full speed on the highway, The overcab electric drop down bed comes down 4 inches crooked, The left front shock makes a loud squeaking noise when you hit a bump. When sitting in a rest area another driver approached me to tell me that he was behind me and could see my RV was crabbing. That means it was not driving down the road straight. Thor has a 1-800 number so you can call when you have problems. I've called them 8 or 9 times and always get a polite gentleman to talk with. Unfortunately they never have answers for me and tell me they will talk to the engineers and get back to me, yet I have received only one call back and that was only to tell me he couldn't help me with that specific situation. Thor has a long way to go when it comes to Quality Control. I had no idea that they could be this many problems with a motor home that stickers at $180,000.
This is beyond believable. And people make fun of Georgetowns.

My sympathies, hope you can find a legal way to return it.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:29 AM   #31

Skripo X2! As all know and has been posted "all" manufacturers will have problems upon delivery. But the difference from one to the next can be the deal breaker along with the dealer support after purchase. Not to beat down Thor owners but the issues like the OP has posted goes pretty far out there as about the worst that you'll hear. The dealer I bought my Georgetown from is also, or maybe was, a Thor dealer too. When I was having some continued warranty work done on my rig 3 months after the original 30 day used warranty, the dealer had a brand new 40 foot Tuscany in the shop. They were waiting to have the whole front end re-painted, the windshield replaced along with the driver side side window. Needless to say that was another dis-satisfied Thor owner. Don't even know the other stuff that needed fixing on his "brand new" rig.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:01 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Thor AXIS too...

I had a very similar experience with a new Thor AXIS. Dealer worked hard to keep it fixed. In shop a long time. Thor did honor all the warranty claims. Sold it at a loss after 6 months. I was always wondering what's next. Very happy with Newmar now.

Jerry
2013 Newmar Bay Star - 2004 Toyota Tacoma
Old 03-23-2016, 10:49 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skripo View Post
This is beyond believable. And people make fun of Georgetowns.

My sympathies, hope you can find a legal way to return it.
I don't think the problems are limited to certain makes, or brands. Georgetown, Thor, Newmar, some are only as good as the dealer. Many of these coaches hit the dealer with faulty or missing parts. The good dealers go thru the PDI checklist, which includes every system on the coach. Many don't. I just had an experience where I did a painstaking amount of homework on certain makes. Was satisfied, chose one, got it home only to find many issues. The house batteries were shot and I was told it was ready to go camping! There is also a long list I won't go into here. My point is, don't brand bash. Usually there is a "bad" service department behind it.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:07 PM   #34

Thor Owners Club
I've had problems with my Challenger 37DT, but nothing like yours. Good luck

Ford Edge toad
HD Ultra Classic

Tags
thor, thor motor coach