Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2016, 07:00 PM   #1

Not too happy with Thor Motor Coach

I bought my 2016 Thor Challenger 37KT in Dec 2015. Before we left the Dealership in Michigan the inverter had to be replaced because it wasn't working. The cell phone charging stations didn't work and needed replacing and a roller under the big slide had dislodged and chewed itself up and had to be replaced. We drove it home to Massachusetts and discovered the steering wheel was 5 or 6 inches off and it needed an alignment, heat wouldn't work on battery, the 3 cabinet draws were misaligned, the electric steps weren't working, the remote control was not able to run the hydraulic system, The Back-up Camera did not have audio as advertised. We had that stuff fixed at our local Thor dealer. We went to Florida early February for 5 weeks. Now the problems are the windshield wipers are not usable because they tangle up with each other, the shower walls have pulled away at the bottom and now allow water to leak all over the floor, The kitchen sink leaks to the under cabinet, the flimsy hose that connects to the shower head burst in the middle of a shower, The transmission overdrive button on the shifter does not work, the driver's seat pivots left to right while you drive and will not lock in place, The dashboard AC does not work, The mattress has collapsed itself bad enough where needs to be replaced. The hydraulic system turns itself on while going full speed on the highway, The overcab electric drop down bed comes down 4 inches crooked, The left front shock makes a loud squeaking noise when you hit a bump. When sitting in a rest area another driver approached me to tell me that he was behind me and could see my RV was crabbing. That means it was not driving down the road straight. Thor has a 1-800 number so you can call when you have problems. I've called them 8 or 9 times and always get a polite gentleman to talk with. Unfortunately they never have answers for me and tell me they will talk to the engineers and get back to me, yet I have received only one call back and that was only to tell me he couldn't help me with that specific situation. Thor has a long way to go when it comes to Quality Control. I had no idea that they could be this many problems with a motor home that stickers at $180,000.

marcdohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2016, 07:12 PM   #2

It's under warranty, right? Get it fixed.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:17 PM   #3

Do they have a lemon law,sorry
Old 03-16-2016, 07:18 PM   #4

Oh man, sorry to hear about what you've been going through Marcdohc. That sounds like what I went through with my 2015 Winnie Era (bought new). I owned it for a year, 5 months of which were spent at the dealer fixing issues. You should look at the lemon laws in the state which you got the registration for. From what I've seen though most states don't have lemon coverage for the house portion of an RV, but some do (mine did not for example).

On the bright side, at least you're making them pay to do all the repairs and replacements so hopefully that figures into their QA equations eventually and once everything is fixed maybe it will be a great rig for you! Or do what I did and traded in my Era as soon as the manufacturers warranty was up , though it was largely because I didn't care for the floor plan (floor plan floor plan floor plan as they say ).
Old 03-16-2016, 07:21 PM   #5

That is why I will NEVER purchase a Thor. [Mod Edit] Sorry about your troubles.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:31 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
The quality control of ALL the assembly line coaches is
about the same, you have to force the issue and get
all your problems corrected. Does not have to be with your
dealer, who neglected to put the coach in proper condition,
any Thor authorized warranty service facility can do the work.
The last stop on the quality control issue should be at the
factory, but it is not, it has fallen to the purchaser and the
dealer. There is nothing wrong with Thor, I've hear just as many
horror stores about all the major brands. It is the nature of the
beast, fix what you can and get the warranty to fix the rest, it
takes a while, we have all been thru it. Monaco had just as
many problems before they went out of business, as did
Fleetwood before they went bankrupt.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by macandphyl View Post
The quality control of ALL the assembly line coaches is
about the same, you have to force the issue and get
all your problems corrected. Does not have to be with your
dealer, who neglected to put the coach in proper condition,
any Thor authorized warranty service facility can do the work.
The last stop on the quality control issue should be at the
factory, but it is not, it has fallen to the purchaser and the
dealer. There is nothing wrong with Thor, I've hear just as many
horror stores about all the major brands. It is the nature of the
beast, fix what you can and get the warranty to fix the rest, it
takes a while, we have all been thru it. Monaco had just as
many problems before they went out of business, as did
Fleetwood before they went bankrupt.

Agreed. Well said. Thor / Keystone has been great for us with post purchase support.

But so far, that is not the case for the OP. It sucks that all of that is wrong with the OPs rig. Ridiculus. Hoping the OP gets relief through Thor and or lemon law. Just terrible for anyone to go through that much grief on a new rig.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:37 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Fortunately, we've had problems with our coach but Thor has been solid about taking care of those issues via the warranty hotline.

I've been reading various forums for quite a while and I don't think I've ever heard of anyone having so many mechanical issues. Lots of fit and finish stuff but not all the things that seem to have gone wrong with your coach. We worked closely with both our service team and the warranty folks to resolve each.

Do you have a good service department? If not I'd find one.

Hope it all works out.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:47 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
That is why I will NEVER purchase a Thor. Sorry about your troubles.

+1. Agree.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:08 PM   #10

Thanks

I want to thank you.

If there is an average number of issues per coach, there must be many coming off the line that are perfect because you have taken the hit.

I am sorry to hear about your troubles. I only had to put sealant around the kitchen drain in my Thor when it was new. Over the past two years, I have only had two other issues and they were fixed under warranty.

Aside from front end alignment that I had to take care of, my water pump went bad after a few months and the windshield washer fluid pump blew a fuse and Thor replaced both pumps.

All brands have issues but your particular coach much more than most.

I hope it gets taken care of before spring travels.

Phil
aa9zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:20 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
I'm also sorry to hear about the problems with your MH. I have had several minor problems with my RV, but they have been quickly resolved by the dealer, no hassle at all from Thor.
Contact Thor to find a local dealer that can work on your problems, most repairs would certainly covered by warranty. The normal progression for warranty repairs starts with the dealer's service department, they determine what is needed and get the authorization from the manufacturer. I've seldom had to contact the manufacturer, and so far it's only been to get information or diagrams.
I hope you get everything resolved and can find a good service department.

I bought my RV locally last June, I'm very pleased with the dealer and luckily he is only 5 miles away.
FWIW - I've seen a lot of complaints about buying from a distant dealer, getting a good price but no service.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:56 PM   #12

While it is normal for most MHs to have some problems when they are delivered, you are having way too many issues.
If you have called them 8-9 times and never get satisfaction then it's time to go higher up Thors management chain until you find someone that will work with you to resolve your problems.
With this many problems, taking it to Thor in Elkhart Indiana may be your best option if they will accommodate you, and they should. Remember it's the squeaky wheel that gets oiled.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Happy Trails!!
Old 03-17-2016, 09:55 AM   #13
dcmrblueridge.com

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree, take it to Elkhart, don't depend on any dealer to get this list of problems fixed. We had a huge list of issues with our coach when it was new, and HR/Monaco went belly up six months after our purchase. We took it to Elkhart where former Monaco techs had started their own repair facility, almost all problems were repaired.

Second option: take it to Dalton Ga and Alliance Coach, if Thor will pay for it. They fix issues as well. Alliance took over Monaco's Wildwood Fla location and they do excellent work on all brands of coaches.
-Gramps- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:08 PM   #14

Quote:
It is the nature of the beast, fix what you can and get the warranty to fix the rest, it takes a while, we have all been thru it.
It isn't the nature of the beast at all - and why should a new owner have to turn himself into an RV technician as soon as he drives out of the dealers yard.

Tags
thor, thor motor coach