Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2012, 06:55 AM   #15

Also look at what they cover as far as contents. On my DP we lost to a fire, we had "replacement cost" and it was a life saver. All I had to do was list each and every thing right down to toothpicks in the motorhome, estimate when we had purchased the item, and got prices from Amazon.com. State Farm paid the depreciated value right away and when we actually bought the item they paid the difference between the actual price and the depreciated value. This process was very time consuming and required me to set up a spread sheet just to track the progress, less we forget something. Toward the end of the two year period we had to get all this done, we remembered we had forgotten to list snorkeling gear. State Farm had no problem modifying the original list and paying for it.

I have a suggestion for all of you. Take yearly pictures of every room and every drawer in your RV's and/or stick homes and store these pictures someplace away from the unit. Trying to list the items you have accumulated is much harder than you think. Example: did you remember the silk flower arrangement you had on the table, or the picture on the wall?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BigD Fire (28) 1024 x 768.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	308.1 KB
ID:	24662  
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2012, 08:31 AM   #16

just added the insurance for the soon to be mine (and of course DW) 2011 Georgetown gasser, currant company that has our stick built and two cars along with present Allegro wanted $758. Agent switched us over to Progressive, $522 along with better coverage.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not every company is comfortable writing motor home policies,

If you belong to FMCA, check with AEON (Ads in every magazine they send you)

Check with Nationwide

And in general remember what Mama told you about girls.. "Do the shop around" (Remember that song).

Odds are you will switch your opinion of your former insurance company when you see how much you can save by shopping around. Well, you may not change the opinion of the company but you will of that letter.

One RVer in another forum mentioned how much his policy went UP this year (No addicents, no tickets, no anything that should jack the cost) Mine went DOWN. In fact his increase was not much different than my policy.. I'm with Nationwide.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #18

My Allstate MH policy went down $30 since last year. I'm sure it had to do with the age of the MH, which is normal.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:49 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy_MD View Post
Thanks Gary.
I have USAA for everything (Home, Auto, Motorcycle), but they don't cover Motorhomes. They (USAA) sent me to Progressive and they gave me a quote of $450 a year. Still shopping and thanks for the link to RV Advantage (I filled out the on-line forms and await their response).

Kathy
We also have all coverages with USAA and were sent to Progressive 3+ years ago. Initial policy was in the same ballpark as yours. At third renewal it was nearing $1,000 having gone up each year. We now use an agent who represents several companies. We are back under $500/year with $11,000 more coverage. I'm not impressed with Progressive's tactics.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #20

Interesting and good to know how Progressive gouges after you are with them. Anybody else have this happen to them with Progousive.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #21

I was with Hartford Ins for years. Then bought a new coach and the policy skyrocketed. Contacted 21stCentury and they saved us over 650.00 on Coach, and two vehicles.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #22

American is what I had when I banged up the Essex. Probably killed the company. Went with Progressive. (Wife runs an Insur Agency) You do know that your rates are adjusted for incidents AND your credit history.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #23

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Don't wait until your policy expires to find new insurance. One of the questions from a new company will be: Have you been denied insurance of have you been refused renewal"? If you answer yes, then you will be assessed at a higher rate.

Start now and find a new policy before yours expires, get it in place and then cancel the current policy before the expiration date. This way you are not lying and the rate will be better.
DEAD ON!
fredaevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #24

I have 5 credit cards that I pay off in full before they are due, yet AmFam sent me a letter saying "The credit factors that most influenced my insurance score were insufficient length of credit history." I paid for my house for 14 years. Is that not a long enough history? I dumped them and saved over $1000 a year by going to Allstate.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I have American Modern and have made a claim, but haven't received a letter yet. I'm in New Mexico but it's hard to imagine the state would matter.
Another reason that the state matters a great deal is the actions of the state's insurance commission. Each of them has a different set of rules and requirements for doing insurance business in their state, including required donations to risk pools, mandatory coverages, and other factors that create extra costs for the insurer. Sometimes the insurer just decides to stop doing business in the state rather than comply. It's an easy choice if you don't have a lot of customers in that state to begin with.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I have 5 credit cards that I pay off in full before they are due, yet AmFam sent me a letter saying "The credit factors that most influenced my insurance score were insufficient length of credit history." I paid for my house for 14 years. Is that not a long enough history? I dumped them and saved over $1000 a year by going to Allstate.
I hear you on that! I haven't owed anyone for fifteen years including mortgages and car payments and my rating is "Nonexistent Credit Status". It really does matter if you decide not to pay interest to somebody. Guess we will just have to continue to pay for things we buy, apparently it's Un-American these days. If you need a loan, bad credit is better than no credit history.

PAZ
Thanks for the info on the State does matter. I guess I'll just have to wait till closer to Dec. when the renewal is due to see if American Modern will continue to insure me. BTW There claim serve was excellent.

Dick
Old 08-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #27

I would bet if I paid interest, it would be more than the insurance deduction I would get.