Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #1

Now considering a '96 Beaver Monterey

This rig looks to be in excellent shape, 45k miles, with the Allison 6 speed and 330HP Cat. The price appears to be a cheap way to get into an older high-end diesel unit.

I've done some searching here and other places and haven't found much info, other than the fact that Beaver has had a lot of "step families" over the years.

Does anyone have any opinions or gotchas about this rig?

Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #2

Hello and Welcome to iRV2.

What length a coach are you looking at here?
How many slides?
Have you checked the tire date codes?
Had a chance to road test it ?
Any service info available?

Old 07-27-2012, 02:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Hello and Welcome to iRV2.

What length a coach are you looking at here?
How many slides?
Have you checked the tire date codes?
Had a chance to road test it ?
Any service info available?
Its a 36 footer. No slides, wide body. I'm really just looking for info on whether this brand has a generally good or bad reputation for quality, etc. When I test drive it I'll know more about condition, etc.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #4

No slides is the key issue here , very limited re-sale potential.
Even single slide "A's" are down in price now that quad slides are the norm. If the price is really right and the floor plan works for you.
Just check out that the coach is solid and all systems in good order.
Good luck and Safe Travels.
Neighbor had an 05 , and was happy until health forced him to sell.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:19 PM   #5

The Beaver's I've seen of that era were definitely well above average coaches. But, unless you are sure this is the coach you really want, I have to echo the "no slides" concern... it is getting tougher to sell higher end coaches without slides and it's going to get worse every single year going forward...

Steve
Old 07-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #6

Nice Beaver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
This rig looks to be in excellent shape, 45k miles, with the Allison 6 speed and 330HP Cat. The price appears to be a cheap way to get into an older high-end diesel unit.

I've done some searching here and other places and haven't found much info, other than the fact that Beaver has had a lot of "step families" over the years.

Does anyone have any opinions or gotchas about this rig?

Thanks.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin
The Beaver's I've seen of that era were definitely well above average coaches. But, unless you are sure this is the coach you really want, I have to echo the "no slides" concern... it is getting tougher to sell higher end coaches without slides and it's going to get worse every single year going forward...

Steve
I totally agree with Steve. I just would not consider a DP that does not have slides. Unless they are "giving it away"... keep looking. You may have to compromise somewhere or spend a bit more money to get some slides, but it will be well worth it for your enjoyment and if you do have to sell the unit down the road....you will at least have something to sell!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
45k miles, was upper crust in its day......no slide.....send me the seller info.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:02 PM   #9
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2
45k miles, was upper crust in its day......no slide.....send me the seller info.
J
What he said! Beavers are great coaches.
I wouldn't buy another one with slides
Old 07-27-2012, 06:43 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Beaver Monterey

To answer the question you asked..............

The Beaver line of coaches were, are at the upper level of quality. The older ones are of higher quality than the newer ones.

Don't pay attention to those poo-pooing the no slide issue. If you like the floor plan, the coach and it fits your need, go for it! Many older coaches with no slides on the road, and the owners seem not to mind that.

Lots more room with slide outs, but if you are the type that spends the majority of your time outdoors, what difference would extra room inside make?

Again, Beaver is a god coach.

Happy Trails!

Darryl
Old 07-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by desobelman View Post
To answer the question you asked..............

The Beaver line of coaches were, are at the upper level of quality. The older ones are of higher quality than the newer ones.

Don't pay attention to those poo-pooing the no slide issue. If you like the floor plan, the coach and it fits your need, go for it! Many older coaches with no slides on the road, and the owners seem not to mind that.

Lots more room with slide outs, but if you are the type that spends the majority of your time outdoors, what difference would extra room inside make?

Again, Beaver is a god coach.

Happy Trails!

Darryl
+1 If the no slides suits you and your travel/living style, why not. Beaver had good reputation. Just make sure that coach meets the standard. Are there maintenance records with the coach?
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:21 PM   #12

No slides? No problem if you and your family are happy. If your buying to flip...then as the others have said..the lack of slides might be an issue.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:32 PM   #13

I had 1 and loved it and it only had the 300 cat.depending on the condition that rig should be around 25k
flasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #14

Thanks everybody for the great advice. But, this turned out to be a shady seller story, or at least a "something's not right" kinda thing. Here's how it went:

The guy wanted to meet me at the Sam's club parking lot. Made sense to me since I could check out the rig and maybe get used to driving it a bit in the lot before test driving, right? So he shows up in a new Camaro, rolls down the window and says "you here for the RV? Follow me." and drives off. This was my FIRST "What the...?" moment. The rig is parked in the back yard of a house nearby. It looks pretty good, but some of the paint looks a little "too good" compared to the rest of the unit. I get in and look around while he's telling me that he has offers for well above his asking price, and it I want it I can give him a cash deposit to hold it. I've barely seen it at this point. SECOND "What the...?" moment. Then I ask him to start it up and he says "My son has the keys. If you give me a deposit I'll meet you here and you can test drive it tomorrow. I can see you love the unit!" THIRD "What the...?" moment. Then I find out that he has it listed as "By Owner" on craigslist, but if I want to buy it I have to go through his out of state dealer's license for the paperwork or some kind of crap.

So, even though I think it might have been a good deal for a unit we would love, I walked away. There will be other deals.

-Spidey

Tags
beaver