Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2014, 08:41 PM   #15

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Check with Etrailer.com... they have a couple of itches that may give you enough room for your bike rack.... Curts was one with a 4 inch drop
RussM311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2014, 09:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussM311 View Post
Check with Etrailer.com... they have a couple of itches that may give you enough room for your bike rack.... Curts was one with a 4 inch drop
I have same problem. I tried a couple of dual hitches from eTrailer and none have enough space to clear the surge brake unit on the dolly. Returning that atuff is big $$$. I took it to a trusted welder and had him cut the top receiver off and build me one with adequate clearance. Works great for either cargo rack or bike rack.

Our toad is a PT Cruiser so I was worried about dragging the bikes if I put them back there.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:06 PM   #17

Another suggestion, A local welding shop could customize your double receiver or fab a new one to get the fit you need. I have had to fab my own, but I have the tools to do so.

2013 Palazzo 33.3
HVAC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:30 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC Bill View Post
Another suggestion, A local welding shop could customize your double receiver or fab a new one to get the fit you need. I have had to fab my own, but I have the tools to do so.

2013 Palazzo 33.3

That is what I was thinking. Have a welding shop cut the hitch just before the bike holder. Then get a vertical extension and move the hitch up how ever many inches you need for clearance then reweld it.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:35 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Building on BFlinn's comments if you start adding extension unto your hitch (away from the receiver) for your dolly and toad you are building tremendous side forces on your receiver.

edit
Adding a thought; I have a different style rack and a receiver on my toad. I have not done it yet but it will carry my bikes on the rear of the toad. Your rack is too long I'm sure due to the nose high attitude on the dolly but a weld shop and some gussets could likely remedy that.
At one time I would have agreed with you that it might be a problem but that was a long time ago. I designed a receiver mounted winch mount. The mount uses and old receiver hitch that I cut down and rewelded back to fit the winch. I wanted to have the winch where I could use it to winch stuff on to my heavy duty 18 foot flatbed trailer ( 12,000 pound carrying capacity) I made a 4foot long receiver hitch and drilled the end of it for a trailer ball. The receiver hitch goes through the winch mount and mounts into the truck receiver hitch. The hitch sticks out a couple of feet past the winch. I was worried about the stress but I routinely carry full size cars or pickups on that trailer with the winch attached in the mountains without any problems and have been doing it for years.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:24 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The pivot point of a trailer is at the wheels a considerable distance from the hitch. The effort to move the tongue (hitch-point) will be much less than the effort to turn a loaded dolly. Trailers and dollies are different animals.