Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2014, 07:20 PM   #1

Now what do we do? Hitch problems!

We are currently towing our car on a dolly. We wanted to get a dual hitch receiver and a bike rack so we could stop putting the bikes on the ladder. So we got this: Reese Towpower Dual Hitch: Exterior Car Accessories : Walmart.com

and this: Reese carry power sportwing hitch mount bike carrier - Walmart.com
All seemed well until we tried to put the tow dolly on and there wasn't enough clearance between the arm of the bike rack and the top of the tow dolly hitch.
The dual hitch only has about 3" between the two receivers. I've been trying to find a hitch with more distance or something to raise the height of the bike rack. Any ideas?
4tfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2014, 07:27 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Get a hitch extender to give you more room.

Google Hitch Extender and you will find all kinds. https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:10 PM   #3

I thought about an extension, but I'm not sure it would help. The arm to the bike rack is pretty long. Here's a better picture
Old 08-06-2014, 08:20 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
I think I'd return that bike rack and get one of a different style. I'd think with such a long support sticking out at receiver level could interfere the the dolly tongue when entering or exiting a driveway.

On the same Walmart page as the one you linked, this style might work better with a dolly:

Allen Sports 522RR Deluxe Hitch Mounted Bike Carrier - Walmart.com

I'm not recommending or saying this is the one, but it's style of going straight up and allowing the bikes to hang from it would give more clearance than the long 'pole' type you purchased.

Be aware that almost any bike rack on the tail end of a motorhome with the large distance between rear axle and bumper means pretty strong forces and movement when hitting bumps. Get a bike rack that can handle the forces.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:35 PM   #5

That was our first thought, to return the bike rack, unfortunately, we threw away the box!
Old 08-06-2014, 08:35 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Building on BFlinn's comments if you start adding extension unto your hitch (away from the receiver) for your dolly and toad you are building tremendous side forces on your receiver.

edit
Adding a thought; I have a different style rack and a receiver on my toad. I have not done it yet but it will carry my bikes on the rear of the toad. Your rack is too long I'm sure due to the nose high attitude on the dolly but a weld shop and some gussets could likely remedy that.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:52 PM   #7

Get a bike rack for your toad and carry the bikes on the rear of your towed vehicle
dbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:14 PM   #8

X2 on put on the toad. I bought my bike rack used, like new. Just an opinion.

2013 Palazzo 33.3
HVAC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeck View Post
Get a bike rack for your toad and carry the bikes on the rear of your towed vehicle
X2 on this option. That is the way I like to haul mine.

2013 Palazzo 33.3
HVAC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:34 AM   #10

Last resort is to buy a new bike rack. We're trying to avoid that since we spent $150. on this one and can't return it because we don't have the box.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:41 AM   #11

why not consider the previous suggestions of using the existing rack mounted on the toad?
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:15 AM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Do you need a 4 bike rack? There are many options out there for trunk or hatch mounted racks that would be a lot cheaper than a new receiver hitch. If you don't have a receiver on the toad, I'd look at one that straps on the back of the toad. Be aware that any hitch on the back of the toad reduces ground clearance when front wheels are on the dolly.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
why not consider the previous suggestions of using the existing rack mounted on the toad?
The toad is a Saab and doesn't have a hitch. Even if it did, I'm sure the bike rack would be dragging down the road.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:28 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tfamily View Post
The toad is a Saab and doesn't have a hitch. Even if it did, I'm sure the bike rack would be dragging down the road.
You could get a roof rack to fit on the towed for the bikes. Save the rack you bought for when you don't take your toad with you.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote