Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2013, 12:41 AM   #1

Nubie question. 1) cooking w gas 2) bringing water

I am a total nubie with my first class A Hurricane, a year 2000 model Ford F53 chassis rv.

two questions. 1) I am full with propane. Can I just turn the valve on the stove to start the flame to cook ? where does the spark come from and also is there any switch that I need to turn on to operate the stove ?

2) traveling Tuesday on a 9 hour trip. I see there is a outside port to fill water I assume for the freshwater tank, but to use the toilet or fauct when NOT hooked up to a water line ( just using stored tank water) do I need to turn on a switch to get the water to pump, and if I turn on the switch, can I just flush the toilet when I am on the road ? Any other procedure to use the toilet ?

2A) addendum to question #2... if I flush the toilet does gravety pull the waste doun into the blackwater tank ? anything else do I need to know to flush ?? thanks

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2013, 01:27 AM   #2

1. if you do not have an "igniter" button to push(like on modern day outside gas grilles), you will have to light the burner with a match. Make sure the on/off valve is on, on your LP tank.

It may take a bit for the stove to light...many times after a long unused period, the air will have to purge from the gas line

2. Yes you should have a "water pump" or "pump" switch somewhere inside the vehicle.

Yes you can flush the toilet when on the road

Yes toilet is gravity

Use any type toilet paper that has "OK for septic tanks" on the label

Old 07-01-2013, 08:01 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
What sc3283 said is correct, but your questions are just too basic. There is so much you have to learn; you need to spend many hours reading your manual. If you don't have one GET ONE!
You did come to the right place. There will always be someone to answer almost every question right here.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:17 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The stove igniter may be a knob that you turn rather than a button you push.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad to see you are ready to use the appliances. I know some people who are afraid to cook on their stove tops. They just don't know what they are missing. I love mine and use it alot when boondocking or drycamping.

As stated, there might be a knob to ignite the burner. Otherwise use a match.
The burner closest to the knobs is usually a hotter burner with larger gas flow/hotter flame. Rear are lower heat burners.
If you have an oven you will have to light it manually. I love those long tube bbq lighters for that purpose, they work well.

Usually you will have a water pump switch in the bathroom and one in the kitchen area/front area. Shut that off if you use campground water, but leave it on when traveling. The water pump will shut off when not being used. It will turn on and off based on pressure in the pipes so it will cycle on and off when being used/faucet open.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:24 AM   #6

Something not mentioned yet is that you will have a LP leak detector. Usually close to the floor below the stove. After the valve at the tank is turned on, you switch the LP detector on...it beeps and flashes a light for 1-2 minutes then goes silent and the light stays on. This assumes your batteries are good. Then you can light the pilot, turn a burner full on to purge the air quickly. After that's going and the flame's not sputtering, shut it off and turn on the refer. It should fire up without having to light it.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #7

If you can spend a night or 2 doing some "redneck camping".....that is camping in your driveway....take a note pad and pen with you...vow not to come inside your house...you will get a good understanding of how things work, prior to your trip
Old 07-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Do yourself a favorite and hire a Mobile Tech (yes, it will cost some money) to do a thorough walk through of all of your systems. This should have been done when you purchased your rig, but since it wasn't you really do need to get some hands on instruction before moving forward.

And don't try driving 9 hours! You will tire easily because this is unknown and fatigue leads to mistakes and accidents.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #9

And:

Should always use the range hood fan to remove smell, moisture and combustion gases (CO) from inside while cooking. Check the exterior range hood exhaust hood. Sometimes they are held in a closed position and you need to unlock it or flip the flap open. Crack a window open or open a door for fresh air in for the fan.

Sometimes you can have air in the LP gas lines. If an appliance will not ignite, like the stovetop, leave the valve for a burner open for maybe 5 seconds or so and try lighting again. Repeat as needed. We used to have this problem with our old TT often each time we set up after having the tanks shut off. Our new TT does not do this.

As already said, I would spend a few bucks and have an RV tech. check your RV over, not only for the LP gas system, but things like suspension, brakes, tires, etc. Best investment after the initial RV expenditure that you can make, esp. for an older RV

The black tank is only for human waste. Each time you dump the tank, you want to fill it with about 3,4,5 gallons of water so that when you do dump, the solids will get flushed out okay. Don't try to skimp on water each time you do a dump in the toilet - keep the pedal down a few moments to let water go in the tank. More water is better than less water. Some disagree, but we use a chemical additive to the tank (down toilet) after each time we dump. Helps to break down the solids for better dumping plus helps with odors. Always dump black tank first, then grey so that the cleaner/soapy water helps clean the hose.

FWIW, indicator panels in RVs for black and grey tanks are notoriously ineffective, esp. the black. Don't rely on the indicator lights. It could say 2/3 full for example when actually empty. Many, many threads here and elsewhere on this topic.

Sometimes I think the best way to learn RVing is to just go and do it. If you get really stuck, as long as you can find an internet connection where you are, you can log onto an RV forum and ask for help. BTDT....
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
Do yourself a favorite and hire a Mobile Tech (yes, it will cost some money) to do a thorough walk through of all of your systems. This should have been done when you purchased your rig, but since it wasn't you really do need to get some hands on instruction before moving forward.

And don't try driving 9 hours! You will tire easily because this is unknown and fatigue leads to mistakes and accidents.

Barb

I Agree on both points - Not being familiar with the many systems on an RV could potential get very expensive if something goes wrong especially with the propane system.
A nine hour drive is a very long day with a new rig
Old 07-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post

Barb
I agree with hiring someone to show you all the systems on your new motorhome. My suggestion is to record it on video if possible. If you are not able to do this then I would at least make a voice recording so that you will have a source to go back to when you can't remember what to do to make something work.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #12

First, gas on at the tank valve.

Second, turn on your LP detector. This will serve as a sensor and allow the gas to flow.

Third, get yourself a long snout barbecue igniter and turn on one burner after you have lit the igniter and hold it next to the burner. Initially you will likely just be purging air so keep the barbecue ignitor where you can see the effect of the air on the flame. Eventually it will light.

Fourth, turn on the other burners using your barbecue igniter until all are burning a nice pure blue flame.

Fifth, start actuating the switch for the gas hot water heater. The burner will likely be at the rear of the coach and due to the air will take a few tries before you achieve ignition.

Sixth, turn on the refrigerator with no shore power and no generator power. Once it ignites on propane you have completely purged your propane system of gas and are ready to use your gas appliances.

As others have said, your stove top will likely have an ignition button or a knob that your turn to ignite the gas. After the stovetop has cooled, open the top and make sure that the wires are connected to the ignition knob or button. If so, test and use the knob/button going forward.

If you have a gas oven, it will have a separate pilot light that must be lit before you can use the oven. This is where your barbecue igniter really comes in handy.

Regarding the fresh water tank, you fill it by turning a by-pass valve to allow the water to flow into the tank as opposed to the faucets and toilet within the coach.

Once the tank is full, turn off the water and the by-pass valve.

Now turn on your water pump and purge the air from the faucets.

At least for propane and fresh water, you should be good to go.

DaveS
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
Old 07-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
I think, for what it is worth, that you should have the people you bought it from give you a complete once over on all things and information pertaining to this unit before you even turned the key on to drive it.

If you are not sure of the simple things, WHERE are you going to be if you run into a big question?

Good Luck and happy trails.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pops2 View Post
I think, for what it is worth, that you should have the people you bought it from give you a complete once over on all things and information pertaining to this unit before you even turned the key on to drive it.

If you are not sure of the simple things, WHERE are you going to be if you run into a big question?

Good Luck and happy trails.

Hopefully, right in the driveway?

Tags
gas, water