Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2011, 01:13 AM   #1

Nuisance alarm in a 1995 Cummins 8.3

I have a 1995 American Dream, Cummins 8.3, Allison 3060, Spartan Chassis. Since I bought it new, I have had a recurring problem with an alarm going off when climbing hills. It took me a while to narrow down the source to a signal coming out of a temperature switch. At no time when the alarm sounded were either the coolant or oil temperature indications near the danger zone. I checked the hydraulic motor powered cooling fan. It should run 5-10 % faster than the engine RPM. It does. I think the problem is the sensor location, which is on the exhaust manifold side of the engine, about 2 inches below the exahust manifold. Spartan has a heat shield in the area partially shielding the sensor and other cabling from the exhaust manifold. I have added a stainless steel plate to this shield to better shield the switch. The problem persists. The switch has a trip point of 215F, and I checked it outside of the engine with a thermocouple attached to it in an oil bath, and it does trip at the specified temperature, plus or minus a couple of degrees. I have spoken with Fleetwood, Spartan and Cummins for years on this subject, with no resolution. I am amazed that I appear to be the only one that has this problem. Any one else out there?

Does anybody know another location where I can install this temperature switch? The sender that drives the coolant temp gage is located in the front of the engine, near the serpentine belt, to the side of the coolant pump. I cannot find another location to move the switch to. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. CM

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2011, 08:53 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I might suggest that before you move the location of the sensor, that you check the connections of the ECU for the engine and transmission. Also be sure to check ground connections. Recommend just going ahead and using an electrical contact cleaner on these connections and recheck operation under hill climbing loads. Good luck and keep us posted on the results.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:40 PM   #3

ECU Connections

To my best of knowledge, this engine does not have an ECU. It is a 1995, and I believe they do not have that feature. Also, remember that this nuisance tripping has been happening since six hours after taking delivery in Vegas, as I was climbing the relatively mild Tehachapi grade, and has continued to this day. Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:14 PM   #4

My alarm comes on at about that temp too. Out of curiosity, at what temperature should I become concerned?
Dano52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:56 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
I have the same engine and transmission in a 1995 Gillig chassis.

My manual says the alarm will trigger at 215 degrees (it does not) and 20 second shutdown cycle will occur at 225 degrees (it will).

The ECM shutdown can be overridden with a foot switch to move the rig off the road.

How accurate the coolant temperature gauges are is anyone's guess, but my rig will shut down at 225 degree on the gauge.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:05 AM   #6

If your engine is a mechanical system (fuel injection), it does not have a ECU. More than likely it is equiped with an aftermarket not Cummins Kysor or Murphy shut down system that will shut power off to the fuel shut off with high temp/low o/p. They can be a pain in the backside to fix. First you need to identify which system you have, then search for info on the web. Also check in you coach owners manual it may have some info on the system. You might gain sone insite in the engine wireing diagrams for your coach. The other alternative is that if you know your dash guage is working properly just disable the Kysor system. When you go looking for it it will have a small control box all the sensor wires go to, the last one I worked on was small silver control box. Good grimlin hunting
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:03 PM   #7

With the disablement, what temp should raise a concern on a cummins 8.3 DP?
Dano52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danodaman View Post
With the disablement, what temp should raise a concern on a cummins 8.3 DP?
ON my ISC 8.3 the coolant temp on the guage usually runs 180-185 I have never seen it above 200 even on a 100 degree day, pulling the jeep. I beleave the t/stat starts to open at 180 and is full open at 212. I would think temps constantly above 200 would warrent looking at things like t/stat, fan operation, rad/coolant condition.

bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins