Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2010, 05:57 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a very good Marine friend that bought a Montico ''something or other'' 44 feet long with a 550hp Cat pusher and all the bells and whistles. Something over 650K and counting. First shake down trip from Columbia SC to Tenn. he ''logged'' a page and a half on a legal pad of ''problems''.... The paint job on his coach is worth more than my ''coach''......lol...... We have a good laugh about his ''problems'' with that rolling fortune........
As to the ''sea stories''........ Welcome my brother and join in anytime but remember, we got Marines reading these and we need to keep our words below six letters and we need to type slow so they can ''keep up''. Wayne the Marine is an old friend of mine from FMCA and he knows I am just ''pinging'' him about this.

Smooth seas ahead and a the wind to your back Bro.....
Seajay the sailor man
God bless our troops and bring them home safe and soon
God bless our vets .......ALL GAVE SOME ........SOME GAVE ALL......
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2010, 06:39 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Yes, my Allegro has had its share of problems. Brake failure, new Allison transmission, replaced the reefers cooling unit plus other stuff over the 7 years that we've owned it. Some of the stuff was taken care of under warranty, some not. It is all in the overall experience of RVing. Better than staying in motels, I believe! All the rigs, both motorized or towable that we've owned over the years have had things break too. So, my rig cost me well under 90k new and my brother-in-law has owned a couple of 500k coaches during that last ten years or so. He's had just as many problems and failures as my entry level coach. I'm not knocking him, just saying that most RV's have problems at one time or other. Cost of doing business.

Tight lines and smooth seas. Semper P.

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:16 PM   #17

We live 1/2 year in a motorhome, 1/2 year in stick and brick. In my lifetime I bought a new house built with aluminum wiring that had to be replaced before house would sell. Another new house had water lines made from ABS(?) that had to be replaced (recovered payment for that). We now own an investment property (new home) built with Chinese drywall that is being replaced. The main house needed a new heat pump this year, as well as, a new pool pump, new sod, sliding door rollers, and a new garbage disposal. The motorhome needed a new circuit board in a convertor, and two defective 110 plugs had to be replaced. Put in perspective, I am much more comfortable with the motorhome "problems" than stick/brick homes. JMO.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:06 PM   #18

I agree with you Seajay, if it ain't one thing it's another. New or old. I got my MH for about a 1/15 of what your Marine friend paid and I'm happy. Very comfy. Sure it has some problems, but most are miinor, only need a little time to correct. Sure did haul a lot of Beer, Whiskey and peanuts to NAS Keflavik, most bound for Mar Bar. The Marines loved us. And like the Coastie said, it's the overall RV experience. Sure it's nice to be in a nice big rig with a jacuzzi etc. but RVIng is RVing, no matter what your rig.
Clonetrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:25 AM   #19
doc

Appalachian Campers
Everything mechanical will have problems. This thing has many more systems than your house and has to travel over all sorts of bumpy roads, potholes, broken pavement at 50 to 75 mph. It may sit for days/weeks/months on uneven ground and then be expected to perform like it is new.
We have had 3 DPs - two we bought new - and each of them had problems, nothing major, but just things that irritate and bug you. Given the complexity of these beasts, I think they do pretty darn well.
If a MH could be built that was trouble free in every aspect, then most of us could not afford to buy it. It would have as many redundant systems as the space shuttle and the cost would be comparable. And we have lost two of those things.
I will probably grouse and grumble next time something goes wrong but won't be surprised.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:26 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
We all do this and it is the ''nature of the beast'' concerning camping in our expensive toys. Motor homes and trailers are expensive toys and are in almost constant need of repair in some form or other but think about this.
If you could sell back your ''toy'' at a break even price how much would it take to buy back the memories you have generated with that ''toy''? How much would it take to buy the good times and the good memories, the wonderful people you have met and the thousand time thousand pictures and videos you have generated using that 'toy'? How much would it take in money to buy the good experiences that only a motor home or trailer can bring you. Some say you can stay in a Motel or Hotel but a lot of the places we stay have no motel or hotel at all. Many of the places I have boon docked are priceless and there is no facility save my motor home. I am sure that you, like myself, has seen occasion where we would wish to give that piece of junk to our worst enemy with the contract that they would have to use it and support it for at least five years. On more than one occasion I have threatened to swap my Pace Arrow for a mule and an army tent with a frying pan and do it on an ''even swap'' basis and laugh at the fool that made the trade with me. All things considered, so far the coach is well worth the expense and I would not trade the ''RVing'' experience for anything I have found so far....
''Nuff Said''.....
Seajay the sailor man
God bless our troops and bring them home soon and safe.
God bless our vets....... ALL GAVE SOME ..... SOME GAVE ALL ...
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:44 AM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I appreciate al the discussion on this topic but In my OP I was not referring to typical "use issues", that we all know will happen with any object one actually uses be it a car, a stick house, a boat or an RV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythplaced View Post
.....I find myself AMAZED at the numerous and potentially dangerous FAILURES of design in Motorhomes just discovered in the last couple years!
  • Bosch Calipers (Failing Brakes)
  • WRV brakelines (Failing Brakes)
  • Monaco Trailing Arms (Failing Chassis)
  • WRV steering Brackets (Failing Chassis)
  • WRV Trailing Arm mounts (Failing Chassis)
  • Norcold Refrigerators (Fire Hazard)

Is it just my distorted view of reality, or
  • Are Motorhomes not designed and tested to the same stringent standards as other vehicles?
  • And why does the media not cover this topic like they do for other issues (like Toyota)?
  • And why is no one on capitol hill grilling the heads of these companies?

But am talking about inherent design oversights and product design failures with potential to kill or main not only the owners of the RV, but innocent folks who happen to be nearby.

All items wear out from use, but shouldn't we as a group be relatively assured that due diligence has been expended in designing and testing the product before it is offered for sale that assures we are not buying a "ticking bomb"?
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:09 PM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
You do realize that the problems you listed don't apply to all MHs made by those manufacturers, only a certain number in certain years. Same with the refer. Also why include a refrigerator when you are citing chassis problems?

Since you are so worried and upset about it, simply don't get in one and make sure you stay out of the way when you see one.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:33 PM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
You do realize that the problems you listed don't apply to all MHs made by those manufacturers, only a certain number in certain years. Same with the refer. Also why include a refrigerator when you are citing chassis problems?
Barb
Yes, that is a realization, and do you realize that I have not included all the safety issues related to design, just a relative example?

And my intent was not only chassis issues, but to outline serious design flaws in the MH we all use regularly, regardless of wheter or not it is chassis, house or accessory.
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote