Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2017, 08:41 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
O2 Sensor Info Needed

2003 Pace arrow with a 8.1L engine and banks power system. Keep receiving a check engine light and the simple scanner that I have says O2 sensor. Planning a trip and would like to replace all before I go. How many sensors do I have. I haven't crawled under to look but have been told 4 by some, two upstream and two downstream. Others have told me two, one on each bank.

Need info would of course like to only buy two instead of 4.

Thanks
Ed
smokey5209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2017, 09:10 AM   #2

You may have to go under , the number may vary by the build date of your chassis , rather than by the model year . Those chassis that use 4 , O2 sensors, would have a small cat converter , in each exhaust pipe , just off the exhaust manifold , with up stream and down stream , sensors for each converter.
If your Banks System includes exhaust headers , then the small converters may have been removed , and if the 4 sensors have just been installed into the headers , the O2 sensor fault may be a fact of life. Because without the converters the sensors will not give the readings they should.
Your basic scanner, may not be capable of giving you the exact code to identify the sensor fault or it's position , but it should .
Can you post the number of the code.
Did you have the system installed ? Or did you buy the coach with it already on ?
Old 04-20-2017, 09:21 AM   #3

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey5209 View Post
2003 Pace arrow with a 8.1L engine and banks power system. Keep receiving a check engine light and the simple scanner that I have says O2 sensor. Planning a trip and would like to replace all before I go. How many sensors do I have. I haven't crawled under to look but have been told 4 by some, two upstream and two downstream. Others have told me two, one on each bank.

Need info would of course like to only buy two instead of 4.

Thanks
Ed
There could be three if it is single exhaust 2 in frt of cat convertor and 1 behind.In my opinion i would find out which on is bad and on lt change that one and if it is the rear it could be a bad cat if it is frt it could be a vacuum leak or a fuel pressure problem ! A code reader is not enough a lot of people throw parts at stuff and end up spending all kinds of money and still have the problem.As an auto and diesel tech i can't tell you how many times iv'e seen this happen i would go to a garage and let them diagnose it with a real scanner. (they will probably charge an hour's labor but it will save you in the end)Just my opinion.
jimdec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:26 PM   #4

Clean your MAF prior to buying all new O2 sensors. There is something else causing the issue not the O2's themselves. Also, the code should identify the bank and sensor number. The sensor 2 codes indicate a catalytic converter problem.
vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:33 AM   #5

I had 2 of the 4 O2 sensors go out on me. Took it to a shop that works on all makes.
Their trouble codes could only tell me that there was a fuel control issue.
Took rig to a Chevrolet dealer. Their test equipment could identify which of the 4 sensors were working properly, or improperly. Each unit has its own unique ID number for the code reader used by Chevrolet.
Greg Dohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:39 AM   #6

They likely used the Tech II for reading the codes. Normal code reading will indicate bank and sensor number.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:51 PM   #7

Yeah, even the most basic OBD-II code reader should be able to display the code for either Bank-1 or Bank-2, Sensor 1 or Sensor 2 - and which type of code, such as heater voltage low or high, or sensor circuit voltage issues. If it is an O2 sensor post-cat, it will throw a flashing MIL to indicate a serious problem (catalyst failure).

Are you sure that you do not have a Bank-Rich or Bank-Lean condition? That would be a totally different troubleshooting path to take.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:42 AM   #8

We have a 2003 Winnebago on the Workhorse (W22) chassis. 2 O2 sensors in front of the cats. Does the Banks power system include headers? I installed Thorley headers and the sensors are mounted in the top of the header collector tube next to the transmission. If you don't have headers they are mounted in the top of the exhaust pipe coming off the exhaust manifold. Take a quick look and make sure both are still plugged in, there is not much slack in the cable from the sensor.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:52 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Definitely Low Voltage

The code was definitely for low voltage. I have two upstream O2 sensors and have replaced them once and this will be twice. I don't know if the computer may be holding the code in memory( If it can do that) or what. I will try disconnecting the battery and try again.

Frustrating haven't made any other mods since I bought it and now after 5 years it starts with these codes.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:19 AM   #10

What is the code? Sounded initially like only one bank, but now not sure if you are saying it is both sides of sensor 1.

How quickly does the code reappear if you clear the code?

Have you checked the wiring for any damage?

Any issues with the bank if it is only one O2 sensor causing the issue, i.e., exhaust leak?

Is your coolant temperature normal?
Old 08-31-2017, 09:56 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Code is definitely for bank 2 low voltage.

I reset the code and approximately 180 miles later it will come up again. Doesn't matter if it is uphill or flat.

I put two new O2 sensors in and received a code for low voltage on bank 1, swapped the sensors and now it comes up with Bank 2 low voltage.

Coolant temp is good.

My mechanic said when I swapped the O2 sensors from one side to the other and the code travelled with it that the wiring is good and it was an O2 sensor. I have only two O2 sensors precat or upstream.
No exhaust leak already checked that.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:23 AM   #12

Not sure if you kept the old sensors, but if one of the old ones was still good I would put that in and see if the issue re-occurs. Otherwise, sounds like the sensor itself.

Not sure on the Workhorse, but I have had some cars that don't seem to work well with aftermarket sensors for some reason. Think I would go with the GM sensor rather than one from a local box store.