Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2014, 12:46 PM   #1

Oasis elite awning

Over the door awning was retracted one night and when I went to extend it the next day it wouldn't extend.
There is power as when the switch is depressed there is a sound (not really a click). I've had the cover off but really couldn't see much. We were in the Rio Grande Valley at the time and I decided we could live without it until we got home. So now that we are home, I'd like to fix this thing. Can anyone help me out and tell me where to start.
I believe it is a Dometic Oasis Elite 972..
Appreciate any help.
EFKlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2014, 01:35 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi EFKlein,
If yours is the same as mine, it is spring loaded to open. The motor just allows the spring to open at a comfortable speed. The motor is there mainly for retracting the awning. Because you hear a noise, for me, the motor is working. This tells me:
1. the spring is broken or one end has come loose.
2. the motor clutch is broken.

The parts manual is at https://www.dometic.com/f9d11d84-4d4...a57b526f.fodoc

Be very careful. If the spring is good, whatever is keeping the awning from deploying could give way. The awning will deploy suddenly, without warning and with considerable force. I've had my awning apart several times for a variety of parts replacement.
1. You will need to get the awning open to remove the screws holding the awning in position on the awning rail.
2. Once the screws are removed, wire tie the awning closed.
3. Slide the awning off the awning rail. You'll need to cut the motor leads.
4. Do all work on a bench.

While not rocket science, except for the two wires for the motor it is all mechanical and pretty straight forward. The hard part is you may need to remove the fabric from the roller tube. If this is the case you may have a difficult time getting the fabric back onto the roller tube so the awning will retract straight. I had a terrible time the last time I did this.

On this repair, parts cost a fortune and labor is relatively cheap. Consider letting an experienced tech do the job.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:20 AM   #3

I recently had the same problem with my 06 Excursion. My awning motor had filled with water. I removed the housing screws and the bottom cap from the motor which drained the water then blew it dry with compressed air. I also drilled an 1/8 inch hole in the bottom cap to allow any future moisture to escape. After everything was dried and reassembled it worked like a charm.
Uncle Roman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:52 PM   #4

Thanks GaryKD and Uncle Roman for your help.
I took the cover off the motor and no water but some rust. So I cleaned it up and lubricated (it was very dry both motor housing and armiture shaft) and put it back together and it works. Love it when a plan comes together.
Thanks again
Ed
EFKlein is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning