Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #1

OCCC

Hi all, i recently sent a message to ask for any information on driving instruction on our new Itasca Meridian 36. Thanks for all the great info. I just learned my RV's Cargo Carrying Capacity which is around 4,700 pound. We will be going on the road for a long trip. Any idea with everything we need to take with us (food, clothing, sporting equipment, tools, picnic tables,.....) how much load we will have. In other word approximately how much all these stuff weighs? Looking for a ball park.
Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
KIX

I would guess you'll load at least 4000 #'s. But, whatever it is, get the coach weighed after loading then consult tire makeres inflation tables for your weight to get proper inflation and best ride and tire life.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

OCCC has to cover everything you load except propane. That includes you and your passengers, pets, gear, food, and water. Also any accessories you may add, e.g. a towbar for the toad. A full tank of water can weigh upwards of 800 lbs in a larger rig, plus you probably have 10 gallons in a heater tank, a couple more in the water lines, and maybe a dozen gals in the bottom of the waste tanks.

So depending on the size of family and pets, I would guess that something like 2000-2500 is a practical minimum and 3000-3500 lbs is quite likely after you've been at it for awhile. Our 40 ft coach is currently loaded with about 3000 lbs.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #4

Thanks...so i will be ok with 4,700 lb OCCC? It will be two of us towing a jeep. I have 10k towing allowance.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You should be fine. After subtracting passenger weight and the 1/4 tank of water we can load 2800 pounds.
We are carrying about 300 pounds more that that and so would like to be able to carry 3500 pounds or so.

Before the weight police come in and chide me about being overloaded, I have driven over 50,000 miles with no chassis damage and no tire damage.

I am not advocating running overloaded but there is some safety factor in the numbers and based on my ten year results I am comfortable with what I am doing.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
If you have MS Excel you can use this spreadsheet to calculate your weight and CCC. Simply fill in the areas shaded in green.

I attached the pdf version. You can't attach a xlsx file. If it looks beneficial let me know and I'll email it to you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Weight Label.xlsx.pdf (32.1 KB, 132 views)
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:41 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Note that the spreadsheet above calculates CCC rather than OCCC. A substantially different number, if you are comparing it to manufacturer specs for new rigs.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:49 AM   #8

What we aint got, we dont need.
All stuff is weight and fuel.
I'm about 1200 under and my chassis and tires thank me.
Load as you like, but get it weighed
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:08 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Somewhere in this vast encyclopedia of knowledge, tips and tricks I read 1,500 lbs/person - which was for two full timers inclusive. That meant tools etc. So by that measure you should be fine.

I have measured all storage bays accounting for lips and usable space versus overall dimensions and taken pictures. As part of prep for full time we have pulled everything and are working this winter to really organize and weigh the various tubs and containers. We have about 5k capacity so this is probably overkill but want to be as organized and well balanced as possible.

One thing I found that may be turn useful for things like wax, cleaners and such are wooden wine boxes. They come in various sizes and the guy at the wine store will give them to me. If you get two of the same you can fit one on top of the other and it will slide down over the stored items. Put equal sized canisters in the corners and one in the middle and you get a nice wooden shelf on top. Going to play with this a bit as it seems it might hold possibility for attaching other things to them. Not sure what or how but something to experiment with.

Good luck.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
If you have MS Excel you can use this spreadsheet to calculate your weight and CCC. Simply fill in the areas shaded in green.

I attached the pdf version. You can't attach a xlsx file. If it looks beneficial let me know and I'll email it to you.
Sorry, i am new at this but dont see any attachment. My email is nkharrazian@verizon.net
Old 12-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nxkharra View Post

Sorry, i am new at this but dont see any attachment. My email is nkharrazian@verizon.net
Maybe this will help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3590318603.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	30644

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post

Maybe this will help.

Cliff
Cliff, thanks. I have similar worksheet from a book i purchased. This is helpful. After finding out my OCCC, I am wondering how much my other stuff weighs (typical two people on a long journey). I will measure the coach after loading to ensure i am not over the OCCC but just wanted to see if my 4700 OCCC is enough.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #13
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nxkharra View Post

Cliff, thanks. I have similar worksheet from a book i purchased. This is helpful. After finding out my OCCC, I am wondering how much my other stuff weighs (typical two people on a long journey). I will measure the coach after loading to ensure i am not over the OCCC but just wanted to see if my 4700 OCCC is enough.
Just to be clear. I only posted a photo of what sdennislee was kind enough to attach that you couldn't see.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'm not familiar with OCCC but it sounds like UVW that Newmar uses. That is the MH weighed as it came off of the production line with factory installed options and full gas. I use a spreadsheet to calculate CCC. During my ongoing search for my next purchase I get the actual UVW and CCC from the dealership as it is posted in the MH.

For researching possible purchases in the Newmar line (they provide UVW for a stock vehicle) I calculate the CCC and then add 3000# for options. That should be a VERY generous allowance for options so if I have at least 2000# of CCC after that, I feel confident I will have more CCC once I ask for detailed CCC info.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote