Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2014, 08:38 PM   #1

Octane rating

What is the recommended octane for an 2003 8.1L engine towing a Honda CRV?

2009 37ft Four Winds Magellan Ford V10:2011 Honda CRV Toad/2008 Keystone Sprinter
ewg1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2014, 08:43 PM   #2

According to the owner's manual, 87 octane.

SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:21 PM   #3

The book may say 87 octane. But 2003 I don’t think there was 10% ethanol mixed in the gas. So without having my computer updated. Should I use 89 octane to cover the ethanol?
2009 37ft Four Winds Magellan Ford V10:2011 Honda CRV Toad/2008 Keystone Sprinter
Old 08-22-2014, 09:30 PM   #4

They began to add alcohol to gasoline in place of MTBE in the late 90's. We drove a 2001 CR-V for nearly 160K miles and towed it another 40+K miles and went by the dealer recommended 87 octane. That was the same as was recommended for the 2009 that we then replaced the first one with. If you doubt the 87 octane, why not as a Honda mechanic or contact Honda?
Quote:
Contact Us
For further assistance, feel free to contact Honda Automobile Customer Service. Business hours are Monday through Friday, 6:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Pacific Time.

Honda Customer Service can now be reached via Twitter at: @HondaCustSvc
By Phone
At our toll-free number: 1-800-999-1009
By Fax
(310) 783-3023 (24 Hours)

By Mail
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Honda Automobile Customer Service
1919 Torrance Boulevard
Mail Stop: 500 - 2N - 7A
Torrance, CA 90501-2746

SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:11 PM   #5

My question was about my GM workhorse 8.1L engine. I agree on my Honda, I wouldn't waste the money on anything higher than 87 octane. Thanks
Old 08-22-2014, 10:50 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The 87 works fine in our '07 8.1L.

I tried 89 and 91 Octane in the past, just to see what would happen. But unlike a carburated engine, the computer adjusts for the change. I didn't even see a change in engine temperature (typical for higher octane) let alone in power or MPG like I had desired.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:04 PM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
It's designed for 87 and will run best on that grade. Lotsa folks spend lotsa money on higher grade gasoline and they are wasting their money.

Have fun!
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:12 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I believe Workhorse says 87 octane, never more than 10% ethanol.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:22 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
The 87 works fine in our '07 8.1L.

I tried 89 and 91 Octane in the past, just to see what would happen. But unlike a carburated engine, the computer adjusts for the change. I didn't even see an change in engine temperature (typical for higher octane) let alone in power or MPG like I had desired.

Safe travels
Higher octane fuel will not cause your engine to run hotter. Higher timing might though. Higher octane fuel is harder to ignite and actually burns slightly slower for a cooler burn. Most people think that the higher octane fuel means it burns hotter and more more energy. In reality it means the engine timing can be set higher without pre-ignition (knock). Higher timing (more advance) means more power (to a point). The newer (mid 90's) computer controlled engines have knock sensors that can detect knock long before the human ear can. When the computer senses knock it adjusts the timing to compensate.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:00 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Rockcrawler, please notice it looks like I was correcting my typo while you were typing.

I ran AvGas in a Chevelle SS in the 80's...it ran better with more power, better MPG, and cooler too. Computers have changed all that.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:49 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The book may say 87 octane. But 2003 I don’t think there was 10% ethanol mixed in the gas. So without having my computer updated. Should I use 89 octane to cover the ethanol?
No. If the fuel is rated at 87 octane, it has already taken into account the chemical properties of the fuel. Furthermore, using a higher octane doesn't do anything to compensate for the slightly lower energy content of ethanol-mixture gasoline. Octane rating is about preventing knocks and pings (pre-ignition), not about the power of the fuel.

Some "gasahol" fuel may not be rated at 87 octane. Note what it says on the pump and choose a blend that meets the 87 octane spec.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:06 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
1) If your car does not require premium gas, there are no added benefits to your car’s performance or longevity. Simply put, you’re paying good money for something you don’t need. Premium costs 15-30 cents more a gallon than regular. In a consumer notice, the Federal Trade Commission, notes: "In most cases, using a higher-octane gasoline than your owner's manual recommends offers absolutely no benefit. It won't make your car perform better, go faster, get better mileage or run cleaner." Enough said.

2) If your car requires premium gas, in most cases it won’t hurt your car (or void the warranty) to use regular gas. The reason your car asks for premium gas is because your vehicle has a high compression engine. Unless you hear severe knocking in your engine when using regular, in most cases there is no harm to your car by not using premium. Most modern cars have knock sensors and computers that adjust settings and maximize performance for various fuel grades. Fuel economy could also be slightly reduced when using regular fuel on a vehicle that requires premium gas. If you’re leasing, you may want to be more cautious about using premium if required by the manufacturer, in the off chance that using regular does affect the engine.
Note: Keep in mind you may need that extra power if you are towing a lot of weight (especially over steep hills), performance driving (hard acceleration), driving in extreme heat, or any combination of the three.

3) Cars with turbochargers (high-performance engines) or older, heavier cars may require premium gasoline and should be used to prevent knocking. According to an article in Scientific American, these cars have higher compression ratios and will knock without the premium fuel.

4) If your car requires premium gas, using premium will allow you to optimize your car’s power. You will not achieve the advertised horsepower on a vehicle that requires premium unless you use premium, although most consumers will not even notice the change in power when switching from premium to regular.
5) The octane rating of premium and regular gasoline varies from state to state. One state may require a minimum rating of 92 to be considered premium, while another may require only 90. Most gas stations offer three octane grades: regular (usually 87 octane), mid-grade (usually 89 octane) and premium (usually 91 or 93). Consult the yellow stickers on each gasoline pump that are mandatory and indicate the octane rating,
And, something else to consider: Six automakers, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi, believe using Top Tier Gasoline that contains a higher-percentage of detergent additive from that required by the EPA standard, provides optimal engine performance. They claim that lower concentrations of detergent additive lowers the quality of gasoline and can leave deposits on engine parts, such as fuel injectors and intake valves, which can lower engine performance, vehicle responsiveness and increase emissions. BMW, General Motors, Honda and Toyota developed the Top Tier standards under which gas retailers must meet in order to qualify as a Top Tier gasoline retailer.
- See more at: Facts About Premium and Regular Gas
Old 08-23-2014, 04:30 PM   #13
paz

The 8.1 liter engine is designed to run on 87 octane gasoline (regular unleaded). However, older engines can have carbon deposits in the cylinders that can cause pre-ignition (knocking). Try unleaded. If you get any knocking under moderate acceleration uphill, switch to mid-grade.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
The 8.1 liter engine is designed to run on 87 octane gasoline (regular unleaded). However, older engines can have carbon deposits in the cylinders that can cause pre-ignition (knocking). Try unleaded. If you get any knocking under moderate acceleration uphill, switch to mid-grade.

Thought all fuel was unleaded?

Try and live up to your dogs opinion of you.