Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-13-2015, 06:17 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 80
Odd Electrical Issue

Hi All,

I am getting a new to me 1996 Winnebago Adventurer 34RQ ready for a trip and have run into an electrical issue that has me a bit baffled.

The galley/kitchen 110v sockets, which were working correctly, are now still live, but unable to deliver any meaningful current. There is a small electrical freshener left by the PO that has a red LED that is lit when plugged in. Plugging into each outlet including the bathroom GFCI outlet yields a glowing LED. However, if I plug a low draw device like an iPhone charger into the same out let as the freshener, the red LED stays lit, but the iPhone does not charge. Plugging in a higher draw device like a Macbook charger causes the red LED on the freshener to go out completely until the draw from the charger is removed, at which time the freshener springs back to life.

At no time does the GFCI outlet trip nor does the 15 amp breaker trip. All other circuits in the coach seem to be fine. I will put a multimeter to the problem this evening after work, but if anyone has some light to shed or possible tests to run, I would be grateful.

Thanks!
Rick
__________________

__________________
kb1flr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2015, 07:08 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Johndale's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ft Worth texas
Posts: 963
Does the other outlets work correctly. And is it only that one outlet or the outlets on the GFE circuit. If it is just that one replace that outlet they use a slide on wire connection. If iris the GFE system replace it. If it is all 110 look for a bad connection like loose wire one shore plug in breaker panel. But you get the idea. A led draws nothing and will give you a false reading. Use a drop light or something that puts a load to the system.


Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
__________________

__________________
2003 Sightseer 33L
Ford F53
Johndale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:12 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
wa8yxm's Avatar
 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 22,799
You have described a bad connection.

Question: if you pulg into the GFCI do things work? If so odds are the bad connection is behind it.. If not then either the circuit breaker screw is loose or the connection to the GFCI is bad or the GFCI itself is bad
__________________
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:15 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
ChasA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 1,857
A loose connection in the 120 volt will cause the symptoms you describe.
I have never heard of an electrical freshener. Do you perhaps mean a tester?
__________________
2010 Winnebago Journey Express 34Y
2010 Freightliner XCS (mfd 9/'09)
'07 Saturn Vue V6
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:27 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 80
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies.

All outlets including the GFCI show the same behavior. Unable to handle any significant current draw.

The red led on the freshener was not an actual testing. Some company has made an air freshener that is activated by plugging it into a 110v outlet. The PO had placed it in the coach and since I did bot have a multi tester with me, I used it to troubleshoot the problem. As I mentioned, all outlets were liver, but any significant current draw would not work and would cause the red led on the air freshener to go out until the larger current draw was removed. The GFCI test shut off the circuit as expected, and a reset restored it, but the GFCI and breakers were not tripped by any of my tests.

Rick
__________________
kb1flr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:46 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
ChasA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 1,857
Ahh, air freshener, got it now. We have one of those in our coach too, but ours doesn't light. Do you have an AC wiring diagram? If not you'll need to start taking your AC circuit connections and make sure all connections are tight. Start with your power cord, then the transfer switch, then the circuit breaker panel.
All this assumes your house wiring is okay. You can test that by plugging a lamp into the outlet your using for the coach.
__________________
2010 Winnebago Journey Express 34Y
2010 Freightliner XCS (mfd 9/'09)
'07 Saturn Vue V6
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:59 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 2,276
Go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy yourself a GFI Circuit tester. They are green with a 3 prong plug and 3 LEDs on the top. Your circuit sounds like it missing a neutral or ground or you have a faulty GFI - this little tester will find all of them.
__________________
Roger & Mary
2017 Winnebago Navion 24V
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH (Sold)
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:16 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 80
Again, thanks for all the suggestions.

The rest of the coach, both AC and DC is working fine, just the one circuit run from one 15 amp breaker to the galley and bathroom is affected.

When I test the GFCI outlet via the switch on the outlet face the entire circuit shuts down normal as though the breaker had been turned off, as expected.

My hope is a bad GFCI outlet, but I suspect it may be upstream. All of the affected circuits are downstream of the GFCI, though, so still hopeful that is the culprit.

Rick
__________________
kb1flr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:23 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
garbonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 620
It should be the GFCI, unless it is at the circuit breaker itself. There should be one wire run from the breaker to that GFCI. So that limits the locations you need to check.
__________________
2005 Bigfoot 1500C8.2 Truck Camper; MANY mods, to many to list
2007 Chevy 2500 Duramax Std Bed Ext Cab
garbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:47 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 80
Garbonz, hoping it is the GFCI.

Any chance a failed breaker would exhibit these symptoms?

Rick
__________________
kb1flr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:52 AM   #11
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb1flr View Post
Hi All,
I am getting a new to me 1996 Winnebago Adventurer 34RQ ready for a trip and have run into an electrical issue that has me a bit baffled.
The galley/kitchen 110v sockets, which were working correctly, are now still live, but unable to deliver any meaningful current. There is a small electrical freshener left by the PO that has a red LED that is lit when plugged in. Plugging into each outlet including the bathroom GFCI outlet yields a glowing LED. However, if I plug a low draw device like an iPhone charger into the same out let as the freshener, the red LED stays lit, but the iPhone does not charge. Plugging in a higher draw device like a Macbook charger causes the red LED on the freshener to go out completely until the draw from the charger is removed, at which time the freshener springs back to life.
At no time does the GFCI outlet trip nor does the 15 amp breaker trip. All other circuits in the coach seem to be fine. I will put a multimeter to the problem this evening after work, but if anyone has some light to shed or possible tests to run, I would be grateful.
Thanks!
Rick
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb1flr View Post
Hi All,
Thanks for the replies.
All outlets including the GFCI show the same behavior. Unable to handle any significant current draw.
The red led on the freshener was not an actual testing. Some company has made an air freshener that is activated by plugging it into a 110v outlet. The PO had placed it in the coach and since I did bot have a multi tester with me, I used it to troubleshoot the problem. As I mentioned, all outlets were liver, but any significant current draw would not work and would cause the red led on the air freshener to go out until the larger current draw was removed. The GFCI test shut off the circuit as expected, and a reset restored it, but the GFCI and breakers were not tripped by any of my tests.
Rick
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb1flr View Post
Again, thanks for all the suggestions.
The rest of the coach, both AC and DC is working fine, just the one circuit run from one 15 amp breaker to the galley and bathroom is affected.
When I test the GFCI outlet via the switch on the outlet face the entire circuit shuts down normal as though the breaker had been turned off, as expected.
My hope is a bad GFCI outlet, but I suspect it may be upstream. All of the affected circuits are downstream of the GFCI, though, so still hopeful that is the culprit.
Rick
kb1flr
A "air freshener" is not a reliable tester.
Why don't you check the "AC output voltage" of the suspect receptacles with a multi-meter or some other reliable device made for that purpose?
Mel
'96 Safari
__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:56 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 80


I have a multi-tester, but did not have it with me when I detected the issue. I noticed the air freshener LED stayed lit and used it as a poor man's tester to gather some preliminary data.

Rick
__________________
kb1flr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:25 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 134
A GFCI outlet can fail to allow 120v, but almost no current. My money would be on the GFCI outlet as the problem. The plug-in GFCI test plug would be a good thing to carry with you. It can also indicate a bad ground which would cause the GFCI outlet to limit current (just like it's supposed to do).
__________________
Al & Sue w/T-Bone & Rosco
Go Devils Bus, 1994 8.3 Cummins, Spartan Chassis
Climbon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:44 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
gasser 38's Avatar
 
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 374
Ck ground at c/b for the outlets
__________________

__________________
gasser 38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
electrical



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
House electrical issue 94 intruder 345b chevy p30 preemiedad3 Damon 3 08-09-2014 11:49 PM
Odd LP leak issue dvleemin Class A Motorhome Discussions 9 04-22-2014 01:40 PM
Unusual electrical issue in a 2014 36LA Roger G Tiffin Motorhomes Owners Forum 34 03-02-2014 08:49 PM
Strange Electrical Issue baldtat MH-General Discussions & Problems 18 01-13-2014 07:44 AM
Shocking electrical problem! truetreky RV Systems & Appliances 7 05-30-2013 06:53 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.