Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2012, 10:42 PM   #1

Odometer question

My husband and I are in talks with a seller about a 2005 Discovery Fleetwood. Seller indicated he had replaced a computer modulation unit at around 20,000 which reset the odometer back to zero and since then, he has put on about 6,000 miles. So the coach has a total of 26,000. He claims he has service records to show what the mileage was before and after fix.

Has anybody heard of this happening?? I always thought an odometer could not be tampered with that easily, but with computers these days, who knows!! Just wondering whether we should still pursue the coach or run for the hills!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2012, 10:52 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, but the shop is supposed to reset the new unit to the old mileage. This is Federal Law on cars, not sure if RV's are included in the law though.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:21 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My dash gauge has been replaced twice and both times the dealer kept the rig for several days while the old unit was sent to the factory and they transferred the miles to the new gauge.

This was an Actia dash gauge that is used on Workhorse W22 chassis.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:42 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pull a carfax report - it may help to verify the miles.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:23 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
He is right about the repair bills. We always write down the mileage on the bill. If the dates on the bills have no long periods of time missing, I would use them to figure out the mileage. You also could ask him for a notorized affidavit as to the mileage.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
One other word on this. If you decide to purchase this coach, Write the mileage down as 26000. Do not submit any paperwork to the State about mileage discrepancies. If you do, you will get a title with a printed warning across the face, WARNING MILEAGE DISCREPANCY. A lot of people will be afraid to buy from you when you decide to sell the coach. With all this being said, I would buy the coach if I liked it and it was a good buy.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
I would confirm the mileage before buying the rig. Check with the shop where he got repairs. If anything is questionable run away from this sale.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:43 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
One other word on this. If you decide to purchase this coach, Write the mileage down as 26000. Do not submit any paperwork to the State about mileage discrepancies. If you do, you will get a title with a printed warning across the face, WARNING MILEAGE DISCREPANCY. A lot of people will be afraid to buy from you when you decide to sell the coach. With all this being said, I would buy the coach if I liked it and it was a good buy.
Absolutely! Considering it is already 7 years old as well. And let's face it, do most MH's have that many miles on them in reality? 26K or 46K....mox nix.
mevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:43 AM   #9

I have a story to tell about MH mileage certificates. Last winter, we were shopping for a DP with fairly low mileage. We were looking at a 2008 model with about 21,000 miles showing. They had an affidavit confirming that reading. While examining the instrument panel, I checked the trip mileage and discovered that the 21,000 miles was on the trip odometer and that the base odometer reflected more than 60,000 miles. We bailed out on that deal fast.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Yep, but the shop is supposed to reset the new unit to the old mileage. This is Federal Law on cars, not sure if RV's are included in the law though.
Agree. I bet he replaced the unit himself or a friend. A dealer wouldn't forget resetting mileage. If the dealer paperwork shows proof of what he's telling you, I would rest easier. However, there would be title issues like has been mentioned. If I couldn't get a title that said actual mileage and it was correct, I would probably walk.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #11

It depends on what computer module was replaced. If I was the module that drives the dash instruments the the engine ECM still will have the total mileage stored in its memory. An engine dealer would be able to access this memory. If the ECM was replaced then No Joy.

Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote