Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2016, 06:22 PM   #1

Exclamation Odor

After dry docking and running the generator and AC for several hours in the Texas heat, we begin to smell a chemical odor. Sort of like propane. My wife thinks we're going to die and won't let us sleep in the RV. I think it's just part of the exhaust sneaking in. Any thoughts? 2016 Newmar Baystar Sport.
Ysanchez4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2016, 06:41 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
detector

Do you have a Carbon Monoxide detector?? If not get one and make sure it works. exhaust fumes can kill you, especially in your sleep. They make kits to reroute the generator exhaust. I would not want to sleep in it either until I knew it was safe and found out what was causing the chemical smell. Better to be safe than sorry or Dead.
Mel
Old 09-17-2016, 06:55 PM   #3

We do have a CO detector. So fumes that are not CO are equally as harmful?
Old 09-17-2016, 08:15 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysanchez4 View Post
We do have a CO detector. So fumes that are not CO are equally as harmful?
It depends on what the fumes are..
Quote:
After dry docking and running the generator and AC for several hours in the Texas heat, we begin to smell a chemical odor. Sort of like propane. My wife thinks we're going to die and won't let us sleep in the RV. I think it's just part of the exhaust sneaking in.
The part in red is what would scare me until I found out for sure. I read every week where some poor person or persons pass in their sleep because of exhuast fumes from a generator, theirs or someone next to them. make sure that CO detector is working.
Mel
Old 09-17-2016, 08:29 PM   #5

The smell could be several things. You might have a leak on your regulator on the propane tank, check it out with soapy water.

It could also be a bad battery going bad and they smell like rotten eggs.

You also could have a leak on your black tank and the air conditioner is picking up the smell and pulling it into the coach.

I really doubt the air conditioner is picking up the fumes from the generator. It would set your alarm off right away inside your coach.

That was one thing I hated on my gasoline coach, it had the generator right under the bedroom and it would set off the alarm. I never have had any problems with the Onan Quiet Diesel in the front of the coach setting the alarms off. And diesel has a distinctive smell anyway. You should be able to tell if it is diesel smell.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 12:26 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
check that the odor, if it's sulphur-like, isn't coming from the hot water tank.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:35 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Exhaust odor is the most obvious guess. Why not shut the genset off for awhile and see if the smell goes away? We always get a diesel exhaust smell from the genset exhaust if there is no breeze and the fumes tend to hang by the coach. I even carry a home-made Genturii-type exhaust pipe for that situation.

Raychez gave several other possibilities that are worth checking, but since you didn't notice any odor until you used the genset, that seems like the prime candidate.

The main danger from exhaust is CO - carbon monoxide. It actually displaces oxygen in the blood stream, so even a tiny bit of CO can cause suffocation, even though there is plenty of oxygen in the room. People who die from exhaust gases are nearly always CO victims, not CO2. CO2 (carbon dioxide) has to get really concentrated to have any really harmful effect, so is rarely a problem. Nausea and other discomfort can occur, though.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:40 AM   #8

Check your propane tank for leaks. I have had two, the first one was due to age, but the second one was from the factory, it was a cross threaded fill valve. Soapy water will put a propane leak to bed quickly.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:49 PM   #9

Following up

Just to let everyone know, it was a bad battery. I was told that I was supposed to put water in the batteries- which I had no idea was still a thing. So my question for you guys is how often are you supposed to do this and exactly where are the batteries? Sincerely, Newmar Newbie.
--------------
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport
Old 10-24-2016, 12:56 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
House batteries can be wet type, requiring water to be added. Or sealed type, and maintaince free. Common to have wet batteries for house batteries. Check and add water as needed monthly. Also best to not let you batteries discharge to below 12vdc, else their cycle life is reduced.

As to where located in your coach, I'll let someone knowing of your vantana to answer.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:08 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I would also check to be sure you are not over charging the batteries causing them to boil. That is when you most likely have the chemical smell. Hope the level did not go below the plates in the batteries.
Mel
Old 10-25-2016, 05:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysanchez4 View Post
Just to let everyone know, it was a bad battery. I was told that I was supposed to put water in the batteries- which I had no idea was still a thing. So my question for you guys is how often are you supposed to do this and exactly where are the batteries? Sincerely, Newmar Newbie.
--------------
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport
Not sure where your batteries are located, they are typically in one of the bays under the coach. You can buy battery fill systems to make it easier and there are caps that reduce the amount of water loss. OEMY's web site shows the caps. As far as checking, I check mine every couple of months. They don't always need water and when they do it is a minimal amount but this keeps them topped up correctly. You use distilled water to keep them maintained.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
odor