Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2014, 06:59 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Turn off the propane at the tank.

Close up the rig.

Enter after the appropriate lapse of time.

If you smell propane the smell is likely from some other source?

If not, you likely have a propane leak?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2014, 08:37 PM   #16

Gray water can stink worse than black and would be more likely to smell inside your coach unless the seal on your toilet is leaking.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:22 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do you have a hybrid refrigerator and have you checked the lines at it. Or checked the burner for it.

If you have propane in the tank but turn the propane valve off do you still smell the smell ?
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:24 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by La59morris View Post
No smell from batteries. Stove knobs are turned off. Could the black water holding tank give off an Odor that would resemble a propane smell. There is no odor coming from the bathroom or underneath the kitchen sink. The odor is most prevalent when you first come into the motorhome which is in the center of the motorhome and the kitchen with a island which houses the two burner stove. Again the strongest smell is noticed when first entering the coach and batteries have been checked and no smell. Will have them check the regulator tomorrow but I could use any suggestions. Is there away the black water tank be professionally cleaned.
In your first post you said the smell went away when you did not have propane in your tank and came back when you did. If that is the case I would not see it being the black tank.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:18 AM   #19

2003 Itasca Sunflyer Odor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
Yes the tanks both black and grey can be professionally "scrubbed." Just had mine done. Cost $150.00, takes about an hour. I'd google up a search for your area. We can't really tell where your located. Might want to add your location to your signature.
Thanks.
La59morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:32 PM   #20

Before you go spending alot of money, go to Walmart or Camping World ect, and buy the bag of Lemon tablets (I think, there may be various types) gray water deodorizers. They are about $8 for a bag of 10. You just put one in your kitchen sink and run a little water which dissolves the tabs. If the smell is really bad use a couple. This may clear up your problem right away. If it works, put another one in after you dump the holding tank.

Seeing as you have had the propane systems checked professionally, and the batteries are not the source, I think you're gray water holding tank is the culprit, and it is coming up through the kitchen sink. We had this happen, and even though we dumped the holding tank the smell didn't go away. We did the deodorizing tabs and it went away immediately and hasn't come back. After getting control of the odor, I use the tabs after about every 3 or 4 dumps and have not had the smell come back. It's worth a try before you go spending alot more money.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:32 AM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
If turning off the propane works on your sniff testing:

Make sure all drains have water in the P traps including any clothes washer and shower.

Look at message #10 in the below thread for the air admittance valve under your sink.

http://http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/sewer-smell-224180.html
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:33 PM   #22

I agree with the battery idea.I had the same smell and it started when I plugged into the camp site and the smell was strong at the steps.The batterys are under the step and there should be a latch.The batterys are charging when your plugged in.If the batterys overcharge they'll smell and the battery will run dry.I bought 2 new ones and I keep an eye on them.The new batterys had low acid in them when I got them.Seems like the companys are filling them with the least amount of acid maybe to save money(???).So if you buy new ones be sure to check the fluid levels.I added distilled water and they seem to be OK so far.
donjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:53 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
We have a gas leak alarm but it has never gone off.
Have you tested LP alarm with unlit butane lighter? I believe manufacturer recommends LP alarm be replaced every 10 years.
drczap is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
odor