Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2015, 01:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
FreddieMac, that's kind of similar to "bait & switch" ! They think they've got you hooked, then raise the price!
Yes, this was very frustrating, but that is how it goes sometimes. We were ready to pull the trigger and pick up our new coach this Saturday. At the last minute they called us about "new developments." They knew we could "scrape" together a few more thousand dollars. I will not be pressured into any deals, period. Needless to say there was a stop check issued immediately on that deposit after the phone call. They tried calling me back, but I just consider the deal dead. I would rather walk completely way from the purchase and start over than get in bed people that do business in that manner. Do not tell me one thing on Saturday, we agree and I give you the deposit, then change the deal on Tuesday of the following week. I guess they do that becuase some people want the coach bad enough and have invested so much time in the process, they are willing to put up the additional money.

My wife and I, although disappointed the deal died, started talking and thinking about simply not adhering to local vendors. I was worried that if I needed warranty work on my coach, we could not get in the area. We have decided to take a step back and reevaluate our approach to the purchase. We are going to an RV show tomorrow.

We have decided to sit down and make a list of what we want and look for the coach in our area. If its not in our area, we will look nationally or order it. We have decided to go with a new coach because we want to be the first owners and are planning on keeping this for a decade or more. I already know it will depreciate. Its no different than driving a new car off the lot. We stay away from used cars because we worry about did the previous owner take care of it or really take care of it. So, we know we are buying something that will depreciate and have warranty work as a brand-new item, we are ok with that situation.

I think we can get a good price on a unit if we have to order it. I like the RFP type idea and sending that our to multiple dealers.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2015, 04:23 PM   #16
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieMac View Post
Yes, this was very frustrating, but that is how it goes sometimes. We were ready to pull the trigger and pick up our new coach this Saturday. At the last minute they called us about "new developments." They knew we could "scrape" together a few more thousand dollars. I will not be pressured into any deals, period. Needless to say there was a stop check issued immediately on that deposit after the phone call. They tried calling me back, but I just consider the deal dead. I would rather walk completely way from the purchase and start over than get in bed people that do business in that manner. Do not tell me one thing on Saturday, we agree and I give you the deposit, then change the deal on Tuesday of the following week. I guess they do that becuase some people want the coach bad enough and have invested so much time in the process, they are willing to put up the additional money.

My wife and I, although disappointed the deal died, started talking and thinking about simply not adhering to local vendors. I was worried that if I needed warranty work on my coach, we could not get in the area. We have decided to take a step back and reevaluate our approach to the purchase. We are going to an RV show tomorrow.

We have decided to sit down and make a list of what we want and look for the coach in our area. If its not in our area, we will look nationally or order it. We have decided to go with a new coach because we want to be the first owners and are planning on keeping this for a decade or more. I already know it will depreciate. Its no different than driving a new car off the lot. We stay away from used cars because we worry about did the previous owner take care of it or really take care of it. So, we know we are buying something that will depreciate and have warranty work as a brand-new item, we are ok with that situation.

I think we can get a good price on a unit if we have to order it. I like the RFP type idea and sending that our to multiple dealers.
I agree with you on purchasing new. There are SO many systems on a MH that can be abused and not maintained properly by the previous owner. Just read some stories on this forum of how some "maintain" and use their black tanks if you want to get grossed out.

With the changing technology, a 5 year old MH 5 could have some very dated equipment compared to new (TV's, Stereo systems, HDMI wiring, Navigation, Silverleaf control systems, Autolocking slide out rooms, etc). Tires are also a concern at that age.

Also note that many of the more popular manufacturers have been "moving lines up" over the last few years. For Example a 2015 Newmar Ventana is a higher end coach, feature wise, than a 3 year old Dutch Star.

If you are keeping it a long time, depreciation is not as big a factor.

As for ordering or off the lot prices. Only if you are looking a last year's model or some odd configuration that the dealer wants to get rid of, should the price be any different.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:41 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
To answer your question about ordering or off the lot.

i will digress a bit. First thing is to determine the floor plan that suits you the best. You will always encounter weather that will keep you 'house bound' for periods of time. What will you do when getting out is such a chore? Is there room to lay out some activities or hobbies and not be in each others way? Can one of you watch sports while the other watches a movie without conflicting? Are the chairs comfortable? Is the food preparation and storage adequate?

Once you have the ideal floorplan you can start looking for your purchase. We like an all electric rig, with residential fridge and aqua hot heating. We also like the fireplace and the heat pumps.

The difference at this point is the appearance of the unit. If you find what you like on the lot go for it if the price is close. You will save 12 weeks of waiting and therefore get more use instead of waiting.

If not then ordering is the answer. Now you can add or delete options as appropriate and have your choice of the available colors.

Price wise I think it may be very similar. Due diligence is the order of the day. Do your homework, ask any and all questions - there are not stupid questions except the one not asked.

Good luck with your search and purchase.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:03 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I can't imagine buying new without considering something like this first.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:41 AM   #19
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
If you like your MH to look like the inside of one of Sadam Hussain's palaces.

Also that once awesome 2005 MH is full of 10 year old appliances and technology. "20" Zenith TV in bedroom"??

Only two slides.

For that kind of money, you could get a brand new Winnebago Tour, Newmar Dutch Star or Mountain Aire, etc...

Just saying' ...

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:14 PM   #20

Freddiemac, also don't be afraid to look at other brands. When you get to the price point you are at, you would be surprised to see what a few thousand more will by as far as quality and size. Take your time, do your research before you make a deal and you will get more bang for your money, and will find a MH and floorplan that you love. It took us two years(doesn't need to take that long though) to find ours, but we love it, got it NEW for cheaper than used ones of the same model(but a year or two older) were selling for, and we don't plan on getting another one for years as we bought the right one for us. Buying new is not as big of a depreciation hit as used buyers claim, and we bought new for some of the same reasons you did.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:44 AM   #21

Some good points about the age of technology in used coaches - in just the seven years between my most recent coach and the one before, the changes in important items is amazing. Sure, you could replace many of the things in an used coach with the latest technology choices, but before you know it you could easily spend tens of thousands in those changes, and when you're done you still have a coach that has older bones. And not everything can be replaced with reasonable labor or effort...(i.e., older sidewalls on some coaches are a thinner fiberglass bonded to a luan panel, whereas newer walls simply have one thicker sheet of fiberglass similar to what a Corvette has - sidewalls can be replaced but the cost is prohibitive). So if I was looking at used and had the funds, I'd look for something no older than two or three years.

And another good point - before you make that final decision, look up in price range a little. You might find that if you're financing, a hundred dollars more a month over the life of a coach loan can give you another $15,000 or so in purchase power.

And again, the best place to see and compare all sorts of mfr's and then their lines too, is at a Rally or show held by an organization not tied to any dealer or mfr. So much easier to compare features on similar floorplans, and so on...
Old 03-22-2015, 12:51 AM   #22

Gotta add one thing about the Newell post - Newell for years shared a patent with Foretravel where they had a slideout design that eclipsed those of just about every other mfr. (excepting maybe Prevost). That design meant the slide could be extended under so many non-level conditions that other slides would either bind at, or leak once extended (and lacked the typical flange that covers the "gap" between the slidebox and the opening in the wall, using a pneumatic bulb seal that could seal at any position from closed to open and in between. I gave serious consideration when I bought a new '07 to going with Foretravel for that reason, but found most of the other "innovations" they offered were also on every other coach in the same class but costing nearly a hundred grand less new. So it came down to asking myself if I was willing to pay a hundred grand more for that slide technology - and ultimately it wasn't worth it to me. That's a "value" determination that is very individual/personal and only the buyer can make.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:45 AM   #23

Buy new buy used if it wasn't for those of us to buy new there would be no manufacturers so I guess we keep the industry going.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:26 AM   #24

Quote:

We had the same thing happen when we purchased our 2001 motorhome. On Saturday it was one price. The following Tuesday it was another higher price. Like you we walked away. If you can't trust someone on the selling price how can you trust them on anything else? We went to another dealer and ordered the same motorhome with the same options for less money than the original dealer was asking.

Another thing to watch for are window sticker prices. We ran into a dealer that was making their own. The problem was that every one they made had a list price of $1,000.00 to $2,000.00 higher than the actual price published by the manufacturer. Even though very few people pay list price it made it look like you were getting a higher percentage off the MSRP.

Keep looking. There are plenty of honest dealers looking for business.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:03 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarpusher View Post
If you like your MH to look like the inside of one of Sadam Hussain's palaces.

Also that once awesome 2005 MH is full of 10 year old appliances and technology. "20" Zenith TV in bedroom"??

Only two slides.

For that kind of money, you could get a brand new Winnebago Tour, Newmar Dutch Star or Mountain Aire, etc...

Just saying' ...
I hear ya', some are very tasteless. I meant as an example, of what can be found. I am glad there are folks who buy new, but I don't see the value. The option on a new coach of a DD60 or an ISX is about the down payment on $300k new one.

Moreover the build quality on those kind of MH's is in another league. Take a tour through Dynasty's, Executives, Essex, Heritage, Newell, Fortravel or Marathon conversions. The interiors wear better than house furnishings. Buy them for less than the cost of a new one from other Manufacture's.

The upgrade of appliances and other items are less than a set of tires.

However, they are not for everyone. Where I see classic, others see old. It really is one of the great things about this RV lifestyle. Something for everyone.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:26 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post

That coach is pimp!
Old 03-23-2015, 05:51 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

That coach is pimp!

Hehe, funny stuff. If they would just start making Dubs in 22.5".