Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2016, 09:37 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Office/desk floorplans

It's just the two of us and the dog, and we are not retired. We will be running our business from the road and having a place where we can work is a priority. But a floorplan with a desk (let alone two) seems to be a unicorn. I really don't want or need a big sleeper sofa, so replacing that with a nice desk would be ideal.

So I have two questions. First, does anyone know of a floorplan out there that includes something like office space? And I mean a desk big enough to put my 27" display on, not a laptop shelf. Second, if we did a remodel to create a workspace, my wife is concerned about resale value down the road. Would having that kind of floorplan be a big liability later on?

This seems to be a big gap in the market the manufacturers haven't figured out yet. It's not all retirees any more, lots of younger couples are hitting the road too, and they need a place to work.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2016, 09:49 PM   #2

We have been having that exact discussion. I have been looking at bunk house plans to see about creating an office/sewing room. We considered a toy hauler just for the space, but economically I think a bunkhouse set up would do just fine. The free standing dinette area in some are big enough for a desk. Good luck.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:58 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Office/desk floorplans

A few manufacturers will customize just about anything for you in a new coach. There are several cabinet shops around the Elkhart area that specialize in custom RV cabinetry and furniture. What you're describing would be child's play. Or perhaps you're a DIY guy.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about resale. If you need to carry on your business on the road then you must do it. You can always change it back if that's what it takes to sell. The cost of doing business.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat330, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by marknpeg View Post
So I have two questions. First, does anyone know of a floorplan out there that includes something like office space? And I mean a desk big enough to put my 27" display on, not a laptop shelf. Second, if we did a remodel to create a workspace, my wife is concerned about resale value down the road. Would having that kind of floorplan be a big liability later on?
I removed my J-couch and had a local cabinet maker build a "recessed" desk with ventilated space for a computer and a printer. My monitor is on a cantilever swing arm. See it here: https://rvseniormoments.com/projects/computer-desk/

I purposely avoided putting a large desk in our RV. Besides looking butt ugly and taking up way too much valuable space, I think your wife's concerns are spot on.

I've seen built-in desks in some Country Coaches and older Foretravels, like this 2000 U320 DGFE -- 2000 Foretravel U320 Floorplans
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:43 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Office/desk floorplans

I removed our jackknife coach

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1470026207.202868.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	134636

And installed this

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1470026268.053178.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	134637

There is a file drawer on the bottom and a printer drawer on top. On the wall there are 2 "pantry" cabinets (under the lamp and a triangle cabinet between the pantry cabinets and the file/computer drawers for either a computer or since I have a Mac, external disk drives or storage. I put LED lights in the cabinets so we could see what was in there and extra plugs. The printer pulls out to load paper and there is extra room behind for paper and ink. I also added an outlet in the front so we could place a light on the steering wheel table. Oh yeah, I also pulled out the carpet and installed hardwood flooring, but kept the carpet on the slide.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:06 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieP View Post
We have been having that exact discussion. I have been looking at bunk house plans to see about creating an office/sewing room. We considered a toy hauler just for the space, but economically I think a bunkhouse set up would do just fine. The free standing dinette area in some are big enough for a desk. Good luck.
Remodeling a bunkhouse is a great idea. There are some 5th wheel plans that have a small room with a couch/bunk arrangement that would make a perfect office. I haven't seen a DP quite like that, but it would be very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
A few manufacturers will customize just about anything for you in a new coach. There are several cabinet shops around the Elkhart area that specialize in custom RV cabinetry and furniture. What you're describing would be child's play. Or perhaps you're a DIY guy.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about resale. If you need to carry on your business on the road then you must do it. You can always change it back if that's what it takes to sell. The cost of doing business.
Definitely not a DIY guy! When it comes to home improvement, I've got ten thumbs. I'll rebuild an engine, but don't ask me to make a cutting board. Your point on resale is exactly the same as mine. I'm trying to convince her of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
I removed my J-couch and had a local cabinet maker build a "recessed" desk with ventilated space for a computer and a printer. My monitor is on a cantilever swing arm. See it here: https://rvseniormoments.com/projects/computer-desk/
That is a very nice job, and I didn't think about putting the display on a wall mount. Great idea, I'm stealing that one. Then the desk itself can be a lot smaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
I removed our jackknife coach

Attachment 134636

And installed this

Attachment 134637
Looks great. I'm a Mac guy too, but use a laptop with an external display. By putting the external display on the wall mount, these solutions will work great. Thanks for the ideas!

We're still debating on the new vs used thing, pros and cons for both. We saw an Entegra Anthem on Saturday that was the first new coach I've seen with a proper desk. But that thing is simply too big and too pricey. I have heard Newmar will customize things on a new order. Does anyone know if Tiffin will too?
Old 08-03-2016, 06:17 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I think converting a bunkhouse is a great idea, but after looking at several and debating with the wife, I don't think it's for us. I'm an early bird and wifey loves to sleep in, and all the bunk rooms are right next to/or inside the bedroom...working next to wife trying to sleep. Probably not good.

Then I saw this in a Phaeton for sale, absolutely brilliant. A residential desk where the big couch used to be, lots of windows, beautiful. That is perfect, exactly what I need and a really easy change. I may contact this guy because the rig looks really nice in every other way too, with plenty of updates. But even if we buy something else, I think this is exactly what we're going to do.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:00 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Our 2005 Monaco Executive came with a computer work station in the front complete with pull out keyboard drawer and drawer for printer in the front. the bedroom has a credenza in it with a slide out work space and plenty of room for a tower, monitor, etc. Coach is also hard wired for computers front to back. It was custom ordered for this.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:47 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Our 2005 Monaco Executive came with a computer work station in the front complete with pull out keyboard drawer and drawer for printer in the front. the bedroom has a credenza in it with a slide out work space and plenty of room for a tower, monitor, etc. Coach is also hard wired for computers front to back. It was custom ordered for this.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:01 PM   #10

Thor 45AT
Old 08-03-2016, 05:22 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our rig came with a built in desk and chair. Lots of light, pull out drawer for a keyboard and file drawer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6999 (11).jpg
Views:	41
Size:	258.3 KB
ID:	134855  
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:34 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you need 2 separate "offices", would modifying a toy hauler coach work? Those "garages" in the back sure would make a nice big office. Then still replace a couch like was done with the Phaeton.

Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote