Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2011, 11:22 AM   #29

American Coaches of the 96-98 vintage are well built units.

The Eagle and Dream look identical on the outside, but the Eagle will have the following:

-Fiberglass roof
-Generator on a slide for ease of servicing
-Pantograph cargo doors (like an OTR bus)
-Higher HP engine

Both the Eagle and Dream in 97 and 98 were built on the Spartan Mountain Master Chassis with independent front suspension. Both will have the C8.3 Cummins engine with the Allison 3060 six speed transmission.

Another poster in this thread recommended Quality Motor Coach in Apopka, Florida. That is where we bought our Eagle and I second the recommendation.

Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2011, 11:43 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
I have been buying used coaches in the 30 to 40 thousand dollar range and re-selling them. I have bought two of them recently and driven them cross-country to get them home. My advice if you want a NICE coach: buy a diesel pusher with slide outs. You will be much happier and you will not regret your purchase.

X2... Find the nicest, best built diesel pusher you can in your price range. Especially with towing in mind. I tend to think the newer the better, (assuming it's a quality unit, there are at least a few diesel pushers I wouldn't want for almost free...). Newer means at least one slide, which makes a huge difference, more modern powertrain, and less things to have to replace. Just like an old house needs more constant fixing, so with a motorhome. Sort of depends if you want a tool, as in a coach to comfortably get you to the track and back without a lot of hassle, or you want another project.

You may also want to consider a fifth-wheel toyhauler. We used one for several years, and it was great.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:18 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
I have been buying used coaches in the 30 to 40 thousand dollar range and re-selling them. I have bought two of them recently and driven them cross-country to get them home. My advice if you want a NICE coach: buy a diesel pusher with slide outs. You will be much happier and you will not regret your purchase.
Interesting reply how do you find a "nice diesel pusher with slides" for $30K to $40K?

Jim E
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:43 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
To me it is all about the TV set up and the surround sound. I like to watch a good movie in a comfortable position.
Voyager35L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:08 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairajays View Post
Interesting reply how do you find a "nice diesel pusher with slides" for $30K to $40K?

Jim E
Get on the internet, creiagslist, etc. They are out there. A dealer close to us just offered me a 1998 American Tradition with slides for $45,000. He said the owner just wanted out... Right now dealers have acres and acres of coaches that have sat for over a year. The more they sit the more they need and owners still have to make the payments and fix them to sell them. It's a buyers market for sure...
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:09 PM   #34

You might add Foretravel to your list, IMHO the best older coaches on the road, and Foretravel is still around. Check out the classifieds on this site, I have mine on there. The older ones are just as good as the new ones lots of folks are running 20 year old ones. Good luck on your hunt.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:38 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Which To Choose

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeltrev View Post
the Alfa would be pushing the budget... but I LOVE the look of them... so does the wife...
Thoughts????

best,
trev
Welcome to my world, albeit in 2010.

First, I think you have more spending power than you believe.

Second, I too was wowwed by the Alfas, but backed away upon closer inspection. Certain features are cool, but there are some dreadful shortcomings, in terms of quality and wear. Not to mention the parts/support/resale issues.

Even so, I'd pick the coach with the most care poured into it. When you're addressing that vintage, the ongoing maintenance and usage pace renders all else moot. Include mileage among those factors, in my opinion: I'd buy an Alfa that was driven monthly and maintained religiously with 100,000 miles before I'd settle on a Monaco (which I consider a superior brand) the same age that was lived in and shows only 15,000 miles.

Of course, we all want to hear about the choice, your initial experience!! A great adventure awaits you.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #36

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeltrev View Post
Hi guys.... after some research/lurking on RV forums, this is the forum I've decided to join....

I know there will be things to fix... and this does not bother me. In addition, my wife and I do not want to finance the purchase, so this is keeping our purchase price to a max of about $60k, and as she likes to remind me, more realistically under $50k.

So, three coaches I've been looking long and hard at:

1) 1993-1995ish Monaco Crown Royale.

2) 2000-ish Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser

3) 2001-ish Alfa See Ya

In short....

I know the Alfa would be pushing the budget... but I LOVE the look of them... so does the wife... so I figure if the right one comes along at the right price, that could work. I am aware of the fiberglass delam "cancer" issues... and them being out of business.... I'm thinking a coach of this vintage would either show the cancer quite plainly or be fine.... but I may be naive.

Thoughts????

best,
trev
One consideration is the availability of slides -- they make the MH SOOOO much more livable. Not a lot of slides on those pre-2000 MH's. The Alfa would have the slides. And, you should be able to comfortably find one within your budget. Here is a 2003 Alfa that you can buy for $56000 on ebay from a dealer. A 2001, of course, should be cheaper still.

Used 40 Alfa 330hp Diesel Slides RV Motorhome Nice REPO | eBay

Good luck.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:48 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
To answer your question, Use the internet. The last two I bought were a 2000 Winnebago Journey for $36,400 with 52000 miles and my newest purchase is a 2000 Fleetwood Discovery for $40,000 with 84000 miles. The thing that makes it a super buy is that it has brand new carpet and new leather sofa-beds and a new leather dinette. You'd be surprised at what you can find out there.
Ramzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:44 AM   #38

Yep, the internet is your friend... When we were recently shopping, we looked at these coaches:
1999 Safari Serengeti 39', 43k miles; $39,000
2001 Safari Cheetah 37', 48k miles; $38,000
2000 Itasca Horizon 36', 54k miles; $36,000
2000 Harney Renegade 36', 49k miles, 40,000
2000 Tiffin Allegro Bay 36', 38k miles; $40,000

We bought a 2002 Winnebago Journey DL 36', 49k miles, loaded with virtually every option; $49,800
Old 05-01-2011, 03:50 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobilist View Post
Yep, the internet is your friend... When we were recently shopping, we looked at these coaches:
1999 Safari Serengeti 39', 43k miles; $39,000
2001 Safari Cheetah 37', 48k miles; $38,000
2000 Itasca Horizon 36', 54k miles; $36,000
2000 Harney Renegade 36', 49k miles, 40,000
2000 Tiffin Allegro Bay 36', 38k miles; $40,000

We bought a 2002 Winnebago Journey DL 36', 49k miles, loaded with virtually every option; $49,800
Roughly speaking, the Safaris are being offered for 10% under and 20% over wholesale; the Itasca for 20% over wholesale; the Harney and Tiffin are unknown.

We all know that if you pitch a 20% under asking price offer, some buyers in a slow market will say yes.

There are some good deals out there, maybe unprecedented.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:14 AM   #40

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave and Jaime View Post
One consideration is the availability of slides -- they make the MH SOOOO much more livable. Not a lot of slides on those pre-2000 MH's. The Alfa would have the slides. And, you should be able to comfortably find one within your budget. Here is a 2003 Alfa that you can buy for $56000 on ebay from a dealer. A 2001, of course, should be cheaper still.

Used 40 Alfa 330hp Diesel Slides RV Motorhome Nice REPO | eBay

Good luck.
if looking for used this site seems to offer fair deals and the seller tells ya up front pix always look better than actual
brianj
Old 05-01-2011, 11:42 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
Get on the internet, creiagslist, etc. They are out there. A dealer close to us just offered me a 1998 American Tradition with slides for $45,000. He said the owner just wanted out... Right now dealers have acres and acres of coaches that have sat for over a year. The more they sit the more they need and owners still have to make the payments and fix them to sell them. It's a buyers market for sure...
The current market value for a 1998 American Tradition is about $35,000. If you paid that you would never sell it for more and make a profit.

Jim E
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairajays View Post
The current market value for a 1998 American Tradition is about $35,000. If you paid that you would never sell it for more and make a profit.

Jim E
Take a look at this sample page:

"American Eagle" | Used 1998 to 1999 Fleetwood for Sale | Used RVs & Motor Homes for Sale | RVs.Oodle.com

$45,000 to $75,000 So find me one in good shape for $35,000 and I'll buy it.
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote