Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2011, 07:44 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Post was a bit of over kill but with fuel prices going up and it being a buyers market you should find a nice MH. I don't know if you are a veteran camper or a newbie but if newbie you might try to go sample it first with something less costly then move up, you might not like life on the road.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2011, 08:23 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My reading comprehension not being what it use to be, have you ever RV'ed before? If not, maybe you should rent some units to see what you really need/want. I would venture a guess that not a one of us has the perfect motorhome even if its the 5th one we've bought. Of course we thought it was perfect the day we bought it.

Good luck in your search.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:29 PM   #17

Most (thats been my observation after 30 years of traveling) last six months at the most full timeing;
Loads of luck;
One thing" get back one these threads after six months and let us no what your doing.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:03 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
welcome and good luck finding the perfect rig
however i dont see much of a savings in your price range in your setting up an lcc
depending on your state you might even lose money since montana has the highest deth rate per million miles driven ,they might also have high insurance rates
i have always figured that at best we just break even
brianj
Old 05-01-2011, 09:51 PM   #19

John - Wow long post. Must have taken you two hours to write. A few things, welcome, the folks on this forum tend to be a helpful considerate group. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Progressive does insure Montana LLC's.

Two of our best RV friends are upgrading from an old / very old Bounder to a DP. They want to spend 100,000 and I am trying to help them out as neither is mechanical and I am kind of a geek on it. In my humble opinion you might be just a touch too low in your budget, but that said there are many good motor homes for 70 and less. Two of our other close RV friends bought a Winny 34' DP two years ago that they LOVE and spent all of 32 grand. They have had few problems. Theirs is not up to your wish list.

In theory a chassis made special for a motor home is better than a standard one. We tried to stick with motor homes with custom chassis. But American Coach makes splendid motor homes and they are on standard ones. Our motor home is quite big but turns very sharply. Being able to turn sharply is a big advantage.

Diesel motors. Both Cat and Cummins makes very good motors. It is an advantage to get one with a side radiator.

I think both the JC book and RVCG information is useful when shopping. The RVCG guide comes on CDs with thousands of models listed. It is a quick reference as to how much CCCs, chassis length, motor size and so on. When I went shopping 18 months ago I took my laptop with me and the RVCG disks.

If you are going to full time you want to get a coach rated for full time. RVCG does that. That means lots of CCC to carry all your stuff. Big basement storage. IMHO you should have at least one and maybe two full width passthroughs. Also, slide out trays in basement storage is a wonderful option to have. Full time coach means you get heavy duty stuff meant to get pounded and take it. Wood cabinets not laminates. Solid countertops not thin cheap stuff. Sturdy carpets and floors. Thick walls with insullation, not thin ones. Knock on walls. If they sound like house walls that is good. Thin, not good.

I would stick with better grade coaches and give up a year or two for that. You mentioned Monaco, they are a good maker, Newmar too. Safari makes good motor homes and not so good ones. If you stick with the good model Safaris you will be happy. Some are not so good. Monaco has many models. Make sure you get one with a long chassis compared to house length. That goes for Newmar too.

If I were you I would also look at Country Coach, American Coach, Beaver, Holdiay Rambler (owned by Monaco like Safari), and Tiffin Allegro Buses. We have a number of very happy Fleetwood and National owners in our little RV club. Those two do not get the accolades that the first ones I mentioned do, but as long as you stick with good models I think Fleetwood and National are quite good. Also, I personally like Alpines. There are a huge contingent of Alpine owners on this forum. We almost bought one. They are no longer made, but six - seven years ago would be considered in the first rank of makers. They are likely the easiest to drive DP you will ever drive. Parts have been vexing on some of them. But you can get a whole bunch of motor home for the money.

Good luck. Drive and look at a BUNCH of them. More is better when shopping as far as taking it slow and looking looking looking. Also, most POs (previous owners) and RV sales men can be identified as lying when their lips are moving. If a PO say anything like "I never used that". When referring to a system on the coach that is code for, "it does not work". Be "Reganesk" when buying, "Trust and verify."
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:06 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Well, I did it...

Hello Again,

Well, I bought a 2002 Newmar Dutch Star with 30k miles. I know some here suggested that I find out first if I am compatible with full-timing. And I respect that everyone has there own way of doing things. For me, however, if I'm going to stick my foot in the water then I figure I might as well go swimming. Now, I'm in the deep end of the pool and so far, so good.

After the shakedown drive from Florida back to Arkansas I've got a list of squawks that need to be addressed, but I suspect with motorhomes it's going to be one thing or another throughout the ownership experience. I don't recall who offered the advice, but one of you said to budget another $5k after the purchase and you were right, but your math was a bit off. It's going to be more like $7,500 or $8,000. It will be worth it, though, to know that at least from the outset I'll have a motorhome that is worthy of full-timing. Some of the other issues I'm having to deal with I'm sure are addressed in other threads, but some of mine are as follows: Internet connectivity, snail mail forwarding, discount clubs, etc. I've already joined the President's Club with Camping World and I've bought the Good Sam Roadside service as well. I'm considering buying their extended service plan as well as insurance, but have yet to make that decision. In the meantime, I've got my new/used DSDP harbored in our community's RV park waiting for me to work on her. I've got a good local man with lots of RV maintenance experience who will be performing most of the work, so I'm not trusting myself just yet to do all of everything that needs to be done before launching.

I'm going to take about 45 days to provision, repair and replace. I'm selling the house and all its contents, so when I finally break free I'll really be free. No more stick and mortar. It's the full-time life for me. I already feel liberated. When I finally do head out I'll be heading down I-40 west. After visiting my brother in Santa Fe the first National Park I'm going to visit is Arches and that will be around the first of July. I say "around" because I'm not going to set anything like a schedule that requires adherence. I invite comments from you all about your favorite destinations west of the Rockies and especially your impressions of the full-time life. I'm very excited about my future prospects traveling the highways and byways of this life. I've heard there are some very nice people out there who wouldn't live any other way.

Anyway, I just wanted to offer this update to those who had such kind words for me when I opened this thread. You are the life blood of RV'ing and all I can say is thanks for the encouragement. I hope to see you out on the road.

Kind Regards,

John Dent
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DSDP3852, Spartan Chassis, ISC 350, MH 3000, Banks Power Pak, Blue Ox Tru-Center for Spartan IFS, Onan 7500, Toad Nissan Pathfinder 4x4, Remco driveline disconnect, Hobie Kayak, Dish HD Satellite, Driver John & Maltese "Romeo"
chofujohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:03 AM   #21

Good for you!

John,

I loved your first post. As an electrical engineer I also have the research gene. Good luck on your adventures. We were looking at going to Arches in July but with an average temp. in the 100s rethought it and will be traveling around CO but stay in the higher altitudes where it will be cooler. May also hit the Grand Canyon as that is also at a higher altitude.

Think about starting a blog to document your travels. You might want to check out this blog as it has documented some nice sites and they are a big diesel pusher. The lady who writes it is also on this forum. They full time with a dog and therefore take that into consideration when selecting parks.
Wheeling It | Living the RV Dream with 12 Paws, 40 Feet and the Open Road

I would love to know and see some pictures of your new motorhome and hear why you selected that one. We selected a short, older class A (so that it was narrower) but we don't full time and just want to get to the most remote places we can.

Cheers!
Michelle
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:31 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Considering a blog...

Hi Michelle,

You wrote in black...

I loved your first post. As an electrical engineer I also have the research gene. Good luck on your adventures. We were looking at going to Arches in July but with an average temp. in the 100s rethought it and will be traveling around CO but stay in the higher altitudes where it will be cooler. May also hit the Grand Canyon as that is also at a higher altitude.
Hi Michelle, I figured it would be hot in Arches by the time I got there. I've got a friend who once told me, "it's a dry heat". My retort was, "so is a blow torch". I've got to go to Sante Fe to visit my brother who lives there and after that who knows? My knee jerk thought is Yellowstone, but I want to put the National Parks in some kind of logical order that will still fit into the loosest of schedules. Maybe you could help me figure out a circuit that will hit all the Parks over a 3-5 year time frame and provide an overlap that will enable revisiting my favorite haunts. Ok, I'm kidding. I'll manage on my own. Truth is I've got only two destinations that require anything like punctuality. The first is August 15th. I've promised my brother I'd be in Glacier Ntl Park on that date as it is precisely when the wild flowers will be in full bloom in the valleys. To hear him describe it we're talking a truly BLISSFUL experience. Hey, I'm into bliss as much as the other guy, so I'll be there. And then there's a social function out in Pacifica, CA in the middle of September. Other than that I'm free as a bird. Going full-timing is going to be, if nothing, a huge adventure. I also plan on visiting a lot of Walmart parking lots along the way. Michelle, I've always known I possessed the soul of an adventurer and the mind of a writer. Now I'm about to unleash it all on the world, ever forward, ever forward.

Think about starting a blog to document your travels. You might want to check out this blog as it has documented some nice sites and they are a big diesel pusher. The lady who writes it is also on this forum. They full time with a dog and therefore take that into consideration when selecting parks.
Wheeling It | Living the RV Dream with 12 Paws, 40 Feet and the Open Road
I've been debating about how to record something like a daily journal. I have some friends and family who would like to keep up with me. It never ocurred to me that anyone else would be interested reading about my travels. I do have a Facebook account, but I don't like that format. It's for kids and I'm no kid at 60. Being divorced doesn't make me younger or so I found out. Maybe you have a suggestion about a journal/blog format? I could start a personal website with a vanity domain, but having been a hosting provider in my previous life I really don't want to pay for that service if I don't have to. I'll probably just write and record to a rewritable dvd drive and do it with MS Word. After all, I don't know where I'll be or if there will be any Internet available. Anyway, there is probably a Word template already developed just for budding travel writers. What I also want to do, Michelle, is a video and still pic chronicle. Editing and dubbing the day's video would be a good thing to do in the evening when it's just me and my trusty maltese pup, Romeo.

Living here in NW Arkansas I've lost 2 maltese to coyotes and as careful as I plan on being with Romeo I just hope he survives his daddy's adventures. He doesn't know it, yet, but he's going to be spending a lot of time alone in the Dutch Star. Romeo is a 3 1/2 year old maltese weighing in at a whole 4.9 pounds. We're joined at the hip these days.

I would love to know and see some pictures of your new motorhome and hear why you selected that one. We selected a short, older class A (so that it was narrower) but we don't full time and just want to get to the most remote places we can.
I don't have any pictures prepared yet, but I will soon. Michelle, I bought a 39' Newmar Dutch Star for what I hope are good reasons. I had researched and shopped motorhomes really intensely for about a month reading anything and everything I could find. I had narrowed down my choices to two; Monaco Windsor and Newmar Dutch Star. In the marketplace they are about equal in terms of value and pricing. There are things I liked better about the Windsor that fall short in the Dutch Star, but it wasn't obvious coach or cosmetic features that convinced me to buy what I did. It was a dealer up in Elkhart, Indiana who was advertising a Windsor. He convinced me that the Dutch Star was the best coach for full-timing. (That doesn't make it necessarily so, however.) Back in the '80-'90s his family owned a large dealership in Elkhart that sold 450 motorhomes a year. They were both a Newmar and Monaco dealership, so he got to know both brands very well. He told me that in all good conscience he could not sell me his Monaco, given I was intending to full-time. His was a long story that I will shorten here. He said that literally every single full-timer who bought from him back in the old days bought a Newmar over Monaco. All it took was illuminating the differences behind the cosmetics. For instance, the wall and ceiling structure of the Newmars is stronger by a big margin over anything else, so he said. The Newmar's walls are built with metal studs on 16" centers and the Monaco's were and still are built on 24" centers. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which motorhome would have greater structural integrity and less flex. I figure there will always be some flex and even twisting in all coaches of any brand (ok, maybe not Provost), but less flex, at least to me, translates into better longevity and useful life, fewer shakes and rattles as the miles mount up and less chance of popping out a windshield due to over flexing and permanently bending the coach, etc.? So, I passed on the better shower, the nicer frig, the longer counter top and better looking instrumentation of the Monaco in favor of what can't been seen. The tighter turning radius and 8 airbag suspension of the Spartan chassis was also a big plus over Freightliner, for instance. And it was also a good thing that I had already developed a preference for Cummins engines. All my research finally congealed into a single picture my new/used 39' Dutch Star I bought 10 days ago.

Now my life is all about preparing for my eventual launch and that means finding the best deals I can on air conditioners, steering stabilizer, LCD TV's, routine maintenance, etc. Eventually, I'll get around to actual provisioning and then, I believe, I might see light at the end of the tunnel. I'm selling not just the house, but all its contents as well.

I'm prone to writing long posts and I've done it again. Sorry.

Best Regards,

John Dent
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DSDP3852, Spartan Chassis, ISC 350, MH 3000, Banks Power Pak, Blue Ox Tru-Center for Spartan IFS, Onan 7500, Toad Nissan Pathfinder 4x4, Remco driveline disconnect, Hobie Kayak, Dish HD Satellite, Driver John & Maltese "Romeo"
Old 05-23-2011, 05:15 PM   #23

An easy start to blogging

John,

Follow this link and in no time at all you will have started a blog. It is super easy and free. You can also put video and pictures in the blog, also very easy.

Blogger: Tour - What's a blog?

I use a video compression utility from Ashampoo to get the videos down to where they will take them (something like 100MB). You can do the free download and then after the trial time is up they give you a good deal to buy it (something like $15).

When I'm on a cruise I use paint.net to compress my photos since the bandwidth is limited. But any picture compression utility will do. This is likely useful in an RV environment when your sharing bandwidth.

Also when on a cruise I use an e-mail utility, Zimbra, to create e-mails off line to the blog. You can set up the blog with an e-mail address and items sent to that address will automatically post. This includes pictures sent as attachments. This would allow you to create posts and queue them in your e-mail. When you could connect to the Internet they automatically would be sent to the blog. This would allow you to keep a daily journal.

Yellowstone is indeed very nice in early July. We were there last year and it was so cool some days we were wearing jackets. It was also easier to leave the dogs in the coach when it was cool out as it did not heat up and we didn't have to worry about them getting heat stroke.

However based on your starting point of Santa Fe, it may be better to leisurely work your way there, enjoying some of the higher altitude locations. We have to be careful not to spend more than a day or 2 above 9000 ft as I tend to get altitude sickness (headaches) if I'm up high too long. Living in Denver you would think I would have acclimated but no. On the other hand I don't want to try and keep cool in an RV in 100 degree heat either so were going to try and selectively pick locations that are high but not too high.

We've never left the dogs alone in the RV in hot weather but then we don't own the system that will auto start the generator and A/C if the shore power goes out. I think that would make me feel better about it. However even with that I'd feel better still if I could park the RV in the shade. The one time I had to leave the dogs in the RV in hot weather I hired a petsitter off craigs list in that town to come stay with them. That way if the generator failed or the a/c failed (we weren't hooked to short power) they could be brought out to sit in the shade. The person was a college student who just studied while they were there and charged very little.

Cheers!
Michelle
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:20 PM   #24

It took me about a year to sort our my 2002 we bought 18 months ago. Unless your motor home is mint 45 days is optimistic. But if you are going to be full timing you will have lots of time to work on it. Yours does have low miles, but that can be a plus or a minus. Dutch Star is a good motor home from a good maker. My experience is that there is always a to-do list, but after you take care of the initial stuff the list gets short.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:15 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
I understand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
It took me about a year to sort our my 2002 we bought 18 months ago. Unless your motor home is mint 45 days is optimistic. But if you are going to be full timing you will have lots of time to work on it. Yours does have low miles, but that can be a plus or a minus. Dutch Star is a good motor home from a good maker. My experience is that there is always a to-do list, but after you take care of the initial stuff the list gets short.
Hi Bob,

My list is relatively short and, yes, the motorhome was owned by someone who did take pretty good care of it. He was a Master Chief in the Navy and very handy. Anyway, I should be able to knock out everything in less than a month once I've got the parts in hand. Most of it only takes 2-3 hours per item and there are only about 4-5 items to get done. I guess by your count I'm a pretty lucky man. I look at it as part and parcel to going full-time and like you said, "there is always a to-do list". I'm just trying to make this land yacht ship shape for its first cruise under my command.

My Best,

John
Old 05-24-2011, 01:08 AM   #26

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good choice!!
We have a Dutch Star 41' 4090.
Last Sept I replaced the wheels and tires (upgraded to Alcoa wheels, paid 150 each at a truck wrecking yard, they did require polishing though).
Spent the last week or so replacing the refer cooling unit, the engine coolant and filter, the generator coolant, oil and filter, air cleaner. lubed the chassis, checked the tire pressures, washed and waxed most of it, still a little to go. Need to replace the slide toppers next. Oh yes, need to get the satellite dish to working. Up until last year we've never tried the satellite dish on the MH as we never subscribed to it. Now we are and it may be that the dish unit has failed without ever being used!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:31 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Good choice!!
We have a Dutch Star 41' 4090.
Last Sept I replaced the wheels and tires (upgraded to Alcoa wheels, paid 150 each at a truck wrecking yard, they did require polishing though).
Spent the last week or so replacing the refer cooling unit, the engine coolant and filter, the generator coolant, oil and filter, air cleaner. lubed the chassis, checked the tire pressures, washed and waxed most of it, still a little to go. Need to replace the slide toppers next. Oh yes, need to get the satellite dish to working. Up until last year we've never tried the satellite dish on the MH as we never subscribed to it. Now we are and it may be that the dish unit has failed without ever being used!
My list is just as long, err, I think? I'm not certain what's been done of late with respect to the chassis. I know I've got about 5k miles left on this oil change, but for me it's all about 2 air conditioners, Tru-Center, drive shaft de-coupler for toad, base plate for toad, replacing faded clearance and scare lights, replacing the backup camera, mud dauber nests in the furnace and finally new LCD TV's. I'm going to install 2 Dometic Heat Pumps to replace the original Brisk Air units in order to preserve my propane for emergency heat, cooking and hot water while boondocking. The Tru-Center is an ABSOLUTE necessity for safety reasons as far as I'm concerned. Even after replacing all six original Michelins with six new Hankooks the steering still wanders excessively. Driving isn't supposed to be about such a high work load, IMO. I must have hit 20 rumble strips on the way back from Florida picking up this Dutch Star. Talk about scary!! In the Ozark Mountains putting a wheel off the pavement can spell instant death and has for many a tourist who strayed too far. If you've not researched Blue-Ox Tru-Center then I highly recommend you do. I wouldn't launch without it. It cures the wandering. I figure an extra $7,500 will cure most of what ails my new home and then I guess I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope not to encounter any BIG issues with the engine or transmission. Looks like you and I are on the same track. Cool.

My Best,

John Dent
Old 05-24-2011, 12:24 PM   #28

This appears to be a "long post" forum.