Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2015, 08:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodz View Post
My wife complained that I wouldn't help with the laundry. One wrong heat setting on her sweaters in the dryer and I was told to never touch the laundry again. "EVER"
21 years on that same plan.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2015, 09:06 PM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Al,

I realize there's little to be gained by telling you that shouldn't have done that, but you shouldn't have done that!

You shouldn't have put gasoline in the diesel tank. Once you realized what you had done, you shouldn't have run your engine. you should have immediately had the tank pumped out without running your diesel engine at all.

Now you have burned about 8 gallons of this fuel mix, which means possibly about 4 gallons of gasoline ??

You may have damaged the fuel injection pump, the fuel injectors and possibly the pistons.

At this point in time, my recommendation is to drain the fuel tank, change the fuel filters, fill the fuel tank with DIESEL, and also add an overly very generous portion of a good fuel additive that adds lubricity to the fuel.

After that, it's the luck of the draw. Time will tell.

Good luck.

Jim

Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:15 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You can find mobile fuel polishing services too. They use them for boats often. They can remove your contaminated fuel or simply recirculate it through very large filters as well as spray the inside of the tank with high pressure return lines to remove sediments and algae. Just google fuel polishing and a local place should pop up.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:21 PM   #18

A guy that used to work for us filled up a Mercedes diesel van with DEF instead of diesel fuel and then drove the van until the engine quit. $13,800 later and the van is fine. This wasn't the guy's first mistake with us but it was his last. DEF really damages the fuel system of a modern diesel.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:49 AM   #19

Here's the latest information. Local NAPA store gave me three clean 55 gallon drums. I put 25 gallons of diesel in one drum and proceeded to fill the other two with the tainted blend. I then pumped the 25 gallons of diesel back into the empty tank.

Had a hard time draining the tank. You can't put a tube down the fill spout. Had to open the fuel line just ahead of the injector pump and connect the transfer pump there. Took several hours but the tank was drained.

Actually had several friends tell me it was no big issue and keep putting in diesel until the blend was diluted to the 90:10 no problem ratio. These friends are long time heavy equipment operators and diesel mechanics. Running a D-7 in the Middle East sand pile is child's play compared to an RV.

The engine will not start, but I know why not. I lost prime on the transfer pump. May also have to bleed each injector. It's all in the engine manual.

Luckily my old engine has no electronics, smog gear, or other crap to mess it up. It's a pretty simple Diesel engine. They where invented before Henry Ford was born. A beautifully simple engine. Am confident it will be up and running tomorrow. Will keep you posted.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:29 AM   #20

Another way to drain the tank is to remove the drain plug. Drain the fuel into a pan while the transfer pump is sucking it into a drum. Another thing that bugs me is normally nozzles are color coded for diesel & gas. Yellow or green is SUPPOSED to be for diesel. But at BP stations green will be for gas. If not paying attention you'll end up with a big...... OOOPS!
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:25 AM   #21
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbon69 View Post
You know we all like brag about something we fixed or some clever solution for these beasts we call RVs. But, sometimes we also have to admit major blunders.

We were driving I-40 and stopped for fuel at a Loves outside Flagstaff. I wasn't feeling all that well and mind was on other things when I automatically picked up pump handle, put it in the hole, hit "regular unleaded", and proceed to wash the windshield. I put in about 30 gallons when I starred at the black handle in total disbelief. I quickly shut it off and topped off with diesel.

I estimate that I've got about a 65/35 of diesel/gasoline blend. The engine ran good for the 107 miles to home, but it now stutters and stalls at idle. No over heating or apparent loss of power - yet. I'm not running the engine until I drain the tank.

I've had this motorhome for 11 years and I have to admit this is worst thing I've done. As you might expect I've lost some sleep over this.

Local NAPA store says they will give me a couple of 55 gallon drums and they will take the fuel mixture for their shop heater. So, I'm out shopping for a fuel transfer pump before picking up the drums today.

So, confession eases your pain, right? I wonder how many Hail Marys this one is going to take?

Al, you've renewed my confidence in humanity! Most folks would never admit that, but I've come VERY close to doing the same thing!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:54 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
The BP pumps cost me a lot of money In Iowa. I had my Durmax GMC hauling 6 motorcycles back to Texas. Went to BP and filled with gas. I avoid BP Like the plague.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:49 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
This post makes wanting to fuel up with the big trucks a lot more appealing.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:14 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
21 years on that same plan.
Ahh, sweaters?

I used the red shirt in with a load of whites that came out pink trick. Hated wearing those pinkish underwear for a while but it was worth it!
Old 06-12-2015, 02:50 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodz View Post
My wife complained that I wouldn't help with the laundry. One wrong heat setting on her sweaters in the dryer and I was told to never touch the laundry again. "EVER"
I washed and dried a silk blouse once. I also do not do my wifes laundry again. By the way did you know that womens silk blouses are really expensive ?
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:20 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:21 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbon69 View Post
Here's the latest information. Local NAPA store gave me three clean 55 gallon drums. I put 25 gallons of diesel in one drum and proceeded to fill the other two with the tainted blend. I then pumped the 25 gallons of diesel back into the empty tank.

Had a hard time draining the tank. You can't put a tube down the fill spout. Had to open the fuel line just ahead of the injector pump and connect the transfer pump there. Took several hours but the tank was drained.

Actually had several friends tell me it was no big issue and keep putting in diesel until the blend was diluted to the 90:10 no problem ratio. These friends are long time heavy equipment operators and diesel mechanics. Running a D-7 in the Middle East sand pile is child's play compared to an RV.

The engine will not start, but I know why not. I lost prime on the transfer pump. May also have to bleed each injector. It's all in the engine manual.

Luckily my old engine has no electronics, smog gear, or other crap to mess it up. It's a pretty simple Diesel engine. They where invented before Henry Ford was born. A beautifully simple engine. Am confident it will be up and running tomorrow. Will keep you posted.
I hope it works out for you. Thanks for the update.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:49 PM   #28

It costs about $300 to drain tank and a new fuel filter at mile post 9 west of Kingman. 30 gal tank.

Tags
gas