Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-12-2015, 04:47 PM   #29
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
i did the exact same thing, but with E85 and it's yellow handle. In my area of NM diesel is either yellow or green handle and didn't think about it. We only made it 1 mile before it stalled and wouldn't re-fire. Cost me approx $900 to drain 60 gallons of E85, new fuels filters and labor. I was lucky, since I filled my tank completely with E85, no damage occurred because of the limit running time. Best of luck, I know your pain.

Ford RV V10 5 star Tow tune
Front/Read Roadmaster 1 3/4" anti-sway bars. Roadmaster steering stabilizer
2009 Acme Tow dolly w/ 2014 Avalon Hybrid Limited
NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2015, 05:26 PM   #30
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You said you had put in 30 gallons and that was about a 65/35 mix.. Let'sbe kind and call it 70/30 You then drove 107 miles.. So you;d have used over 10 gallons of gas/diesel mix.. likely around15 total.

Talk to the local service types.. But you may need do nothing but add more of the right stuff and perhaps some cetane booster.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:27 PM   #31
Originally Posted by Climbon69 View Post
I estimate that I've got about a 65/35 of diesel/gasoline blend. The engine ran good for the 107 miles to home, but it now stutters and stalls at idle. No over heating or apparent loss of power - yet. I'm not running the engine until I drain the tank.
I don't know if this will help, and I'm not recommending it, but when I was young I bought a brand new 1960 Mercedes 190D. The manual said that in an emergency where diesel was not available it was OK to use regular gasoline by adding a quart of 30W motor oil per gallon of gas.
Dan Paymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:28 PM   #32
All swell that ends well. Pumped diesel into the fuel line from the tank and bled the fuel transfer pump on the engine and it still would not start. I was trying to work up the courage to tackle bleeding the injectors when a neighbor walked by and asked how it was going. In our rural area everybody knows what is going on and he knew all about my blunder. When I said I had to bleed the injectors, he asked me to wait so he could go get his tools.

Turns out he spent forty years working on dredge ships off shore. It never occurred to me those big dredge pumps are powered by big diesel engines. He had special wrenches to get on the awkward injector nuts. He talked me trough the whole procedure and showed me the most awesome wrench tricks. The engine fired right up, coughed and belched for about five minutes, and then settled down to its regular smooth 600 rpm idle.

Just dropped off the two barrels of bad blend at the NAPA store. They even unloaded them for me. Guess where I buy all my parts from for now on?

Someone asked about admitting such a stupid mistake on the forum. Well, this forum is supposed to be a helpful, learning tool. You can learn through failure as well as from success. I made a sticker on our label machine and put it inside the door to the fill spout. It reads "I Drink Diesel Only".
Al & Sue w/T-Bone & Rosco
Go Devils Bus, 1994 8.3 Cummins, Spartan Chassis
Climbon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:29 PM   #33
I could not tell you how many probably everytime when I fuel up I say oh god I did put diesel.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:37 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Stick to truck stops and the truck lanes if you can. They only have diesel in those lanes so then it's a no brainer.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2010 Chevy Colorado 4X4
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote