Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2014, 06:56 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
OH No.. Tree fell on our MH

During our recent ice storm, we had a tree fall on our new to us MH. Have never even taken it out. It is at the shop now, waiting on the insurance company to approve the claim. Crushed the top edge over the main slide, crushed front A/C, damaged front right corner and patio awning. Shop says they want to do a complete new roof (fiberglass). As long as insurance approves it I guess it will be good to get a new roof on the MH. While they are doing all this work, I was thinking about upgrading to an electric awning. Shop said if I wanted to, I would just pay the differance in price. Probably the biggest expense would be doing the wiring for it. Seems like most people love their electric awnings, so I was just wondering if it would be a worthwhile upgrade? How much would you be willing to pay for the upgrade? Anything else I should have the shop do while they are working on the roof?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2014, 07:05 PM   #2

I am so sorry to hear about your tree falling on your motorhome. I had a tractor trailer hit me on our first trip with my former motorhome so I certainly can relate. As for the electric awning, my former motorhome had a manual awning and I hated it. I love my Girard electric awnings and don't think I would ever go back to the manual awning.
Don't know what a fair price would be for it but you won't be disappointed.
Steve

Old 02-22-2014, 09:41 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't have an electric awning, but want one. I would definitely go for the opportunity to dodo as a reduced price.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:44 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry to hear about your damage. It's a nice upgrade for sure. If you do get it and it has a wind sensor , DON'T trust it when your not there. They're not reliable.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:59 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Sorry to hear about your damage. It's a nice upgrade for sure. If you do get it and it has a wind sensor , DON'T trust it when your not there. They're not reliable.
+1 We sat thru a storm in Las Vegas once and the people next to us left their awning out when they left. Well, a storm blew in and their waing ended up on the roof. Yes, they had an automatic awning with a wind sensor.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:07 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is a word for when that happens.. Alas.. Most censor bots won't let me post it.. So...

Sorry to hear it happened. However the way Motor homes are built if the repair shop does a good job.. You will end up with what you had before the tree fell or better.. Unlike so many car repairs which are never done quite right, this one will likely be 100%.

Oh, depending on where you live and where Motor home was bult... Might be best to return to factory and let them fix it.. (on the other hand I've seen how some factories build... and a good repair shop can easily do a better job.

My rig was still new when the drunk with stolen plates on his truck did a hit and run.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:20 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Thanks for the replys. Seems pretty much unanimous that everyone likes their electric awnings. If I do go that route, is there any particular brand awning that you ould recommend, or avoid?
Old 02-23-2014, 06:44 AM   #8

I like my electric vs manual the biggest difference is you can't let it down in rain or a windy day you have to put it up.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:48 AM   #9

Another vote for the power awning. We just picked up our new FR3 and on the way home the radio antenna hit a low wire and it was so loud I was sure I broke something. Luckily no. Then as i back in to the driveway a hit a planter and goofed up the wiring plug for the hitch!!

Power awnings and power jacks are heavenly. After many years of hand cranking both I am so happy to be done with them.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen and Sal View Post
Thanks for the replys. Seems pretty much unanimous that everyone likes their electric awnings. If I do go that route, is there any particular brand awning that you ould recommend, or avoid?
Best of luck with the repair. I have an after market Carefree Awning that was installed by the previous owner. Works very good, no complaints. No wind sensor.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:44 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Bummer!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:56 AM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
So sorry to hear of the tree meeting the MH. I can understand the feeling you must have had when it happened.

x3 about not trusting wind sensor on the awnings. I have the Carefree Awning Pro with wind and rain sensors, along with remote control fobs. (Fobs never have worked properly). As for the wind and rain sensors, the rain works very well. When it is raining one end of the awning dips and allows the water to run off.

As for the wind, if there is a tell tale wind they work most of the times but for heavy gusts it is not quite as reliable. The control unit can be set in stepped increments up to 21 mph. Having been in the MH when the wind is blowing, my comfort level was to push the button and have the awnings come in rather than take the chance that the sensor would work.

On occasion, and a very clear and calm day, we have gone off for an hour or so without bring them in. However, 99% of the time it is just as easy to push the two buttons and bring the both in. If it is raining and the FOB works, when we drive up I can extend the awning over the door.

Very well worth the price to have the electric awnings, in my opinion.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:51 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
No so sure you need a new roof. Our previous Dolphin took a tree on the roof radius, towards the rear. NRV factory was still in business, they repaired just the crushed area, good as new. On the radius the roof is supported by Styrofoam.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:01 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For me, If you're going to leave and your awning is out, either Retract it back in or tie it down at its' corners with strap/rope and tension spring. Also turn off sensors.