Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2015, 09:42 PM   #1

OIL ANALYSIS results. What do they SAY??

400 Cummins with 73,000 miles. last oil/filter change at 61,000, so 12,000 on the tested oil.

Anybody see anything note-worthy in the results??

NOTE: click on the chart once or twice to increase its size to be readable.

The analysis showed on a scale of 0-5, a 0 rating; making it an overall perfect specimen. What do you guys see?

This is pretty interesting to me because it shows an oil that's 3 years old and 12,000 miles, and is still doing it's job. Am I wrong to read that into this test?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bill..engine oil.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	85763  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2015, 09:47 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
After three years the oil test (JG Labs) came back with a note to run it another 5,000 miles and test again, but I went ahead and changed it and the filter anyway.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:54 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Looks good, keep running it! Rail!
Old 02-10-2015, 10:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
400 Cummins with 73,000 miles. last oil/filter change at 61,000, so 12,000 on the tested oil.

The analysis showed on a scale of 0-5, a 0 rating; making it an overall perfect specimen. What do you guys see?

This is pretty interesting to me because it shows an oil that's 3 years old and 12,000 miles, and is still doing it's job. Am I wrong to read that into this test?

Looks like a good report. I'm with you on changing the oil at this point. The test really gives you a minimal look at the condition of the oil. The viscosity is fine but with no acid/base number or particle count I think you were wise to change.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:35 AM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Looks fine to me. Next oil change get a sample worth of brand new oil and have it tested, that way you have an exact baseline of what's in the oil when new.

Oil analysis is a trending test. You take the brand new baseline and watch for changes, then with every oil change you get it analyzed again and watch what changes.

Odds are they'll all look very similar. What you're looking for is a sudden change in copper or aluminum indicating something wearing out like a bearing or piston scuffing, silicon or potassium can indicate coolant getting into the oil and an analysis will show that very early, even before excessive coolant loss if timed right.

The analysis gives you a chance to get a small problem fixed before it can turn into a loud expensive problem.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:20 AM   #6

The lab report indicates the oil is still within acceptable limits.
However, there is a caveat to this.

If you are running your coach year round, I would say, keep on truckin and take samples again in 8-10 K.
But, if you plan to put the coach into storage for any extended period of time (months), I would change the oil and filter before going into storage.
Lube oil will accumulate acids as a by product of combustion. During normal operation most of these are flashed off by way of normal crankcase breathing and are absorbed by the oil to a limit.
But, when you put it into storage, these acids lay in the crankcase and over time, will cause internal corrosion and eventual pre mature wear/failure.

In short, folks who run their coach during the summer and then pack it away for the winter should change the oil and filter before putting it to bed on an annual basis just because. Will save you money in the long run.

Side note, to give you an idea of how long oil lasts when running 24/7/365, most oil change intervals in continuous service are in the range of 750 hours or once per month under ideal conditions.
In your Motorhome that translates into driving continuously 24 hours per day, 7 days a week, for one month. Or, 750 hrs X 60 MPH = 45,000 miles. More or less.
But to do this, the lab analysis must include TBN (total base number) and TAN (Total Acid Number) which most basic samples do not include.

There, you ask for the time of day and get to know how the watch works.
Happy Trails
Old 02-11-2015, 08:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post

There, you ask for the time of day and get to know how the watch works.
Happy Trails

What's so VERY great about these forums is that people like you contribute their knowledge in order for the collective to get a little bit more aware of what's going on.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:08 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
This forum makes me smarter every day
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2 | YouTube | Twitter
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post

Curious as to what lab you used and if different labs would give different results?

Even with the oil holding up well did you consider changing the filters?
Old 02-17-2015, 11:34 AM   #10

My Blackstone Labs reports provide line by line comparisons to prior tests and universal averages for the component and oil combination.

I have used it for engine oil and Allison tranny fluid.

Appears more informative as it quantifies the variances to each comparison

I could not edit the PDF report file to remove personal info so did not attach the report.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theluckys View Post
Curious as to what lab you used and if different labs would give different results?

Even with the oil holding up well did you consider changing the filters?
The lab used was JG labs, and I don't have an answer for the question about differing results....but would expect that results across all labs ought to be the same if the same testing protocols are used.

If it were my coach and it had 12,000 miles in several years, I'd change the oil.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post

I could not edit the PDF report file to remove personal info so did not attach the report.

You can make a photocopy of the report, covering the ID part. Then scan it into jpg format and attach to your response.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:35 AM   #13

Maybe this will work:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 Oil Report.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	384.6 KB
ID:	86390

(Click on image 2x to get readable document)

To read about the various components of the analysis result take a look at the following web page.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/engine-oil-analysis/
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:33 PM   #14

Cool, thanks. I've been getting Blackstone Labs reports for about 5 years starting with a WGO View with a MB Sprinter 2.7L I5 diesel. I always found their comments interesting but wondered how my reports compared to other Sprinters with similar usage/mileage.

We recently bought a 2010 WGO Vista 30W with a Ford 6.8L V10 Triton engine and the first Blackstone report says all is fine but, again, I'm wondering how my engine compares to others with similar usage/mileage.

I'll upload mine when I have a minute and we can play, "I'll show you mine if you show me yours!"

LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote