Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2016, 12:33 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Oil Analysis - What to do with it?

Hi All.

2006 Monco Knight. ISC300 Cummins

PO said that he changed the oil in the engine and genset annually regardless of mileage.

I bought everything to change it, but had analysis done and it indicated that the oil in both units was good.

They traded it in June of last year, I bought it in November. I haven't put any miles since analysis and only expect about 2,000 this year.

So, should I change it?

Here are my reports in case anyone is interested.

Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...FE&usp=sharing

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2016, 12:40 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I get my reports from BlackStone. Part of the report includes a summary saying what they found and how things look in general.

Your call on changing the oil, you may want a new references point since you just bought the coach.

Mine first (and only) report looked good, so I am keeping it, When I get more miles (in a few years), I will have another one done.

On the other hand, a lot of trucking companies do the analysis just to determine if a oil change is actually needed.

I think your manual will say change oil after 10K miles or annually. The yearly change is more for the build up of acids over time...a lot of idling makes this worse.

Regards,

Dan

Old 03-16-2016, 01:26 PM   #3

I agree with Dan.
I take a sample from the engine and transmission annually. I change oil based on mileage and sample results. My main concern with samples is contamination such as glycol (antifreeze), and fuel dilution etc.
Since I store my coach inside I am not quite as concerned with condensation and acids. If I were storing outside, I would give annual changes more consideration.
My decision is not really based on money as much as practical although, in my part of the world, a service will run about $500 per. So,,,, IMHO,,,,
Old 03-16-2016, 01:37 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you both.

My results were "0" (best level of "OK") and Trans was a 1 but they asked for more info about type of fluid.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:11 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
If you don't know when you last oil change was I would go ahead and change and use the sample as a baseline just to know what this test showed.

If you use your coach on a regular basis you may go ahead and use the mileage as a trigger to change. If your coach sits most of the time you in a humid environment you may go ahead and change annually.

I track my mileage and oil changes and if we are using the coach I will wait to change oil on mileage. If it isn't going to be used for a while and close to an oil change base on time I'll go ahead and change.

I worked in the mining industry. Equipment was used 24/7 and built hours fast, we used 6 hours per shift as a guide so a loader could build 18 hours a day. We would change oil on 200 hour intervals and did oil analysis to track the condition of the engine. In most cases we were looking for high levels of
Silica>>> meaning we had a bad air intake system
Metals>>>> some sort of failure happening, bearing, rings, sleeves.

A new loader that was used every day could build 500 hours a month. With luck we could get 14,000 hours on an engine, >>> +2 years in extreme conditions.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:33 PM   #6

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How was the sample Taken?
Old 03-16-2016, 06:41 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Long tube and pump, following lab's instructions about warming up, etc
Old 03-16-2016, 06:59 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I change Oil annually-or-when the Oil change light comes on.....whichever comes first.

I do it myself....I never send the oil off, to be analyzed.

Oil does contaminate, because it gathers moisture. Keep your eye on antifreeze levels...that's how you can monitor the leakage (if any) into the Oil.

Oil is the cheapest thing you can buy. New Oil is much cleaner than oil that has been in the crankcase. There are spent gases, metal, antifreeze, & just plain dirt that gets in your oil, mostly at acceptable levels.

All that bad stuff that is suspended in the oil will eventually take a toll on your motor, usually in Higher Miles.

All you can do is keep clean oil & keep the motor from running at high temps.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:50 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
X2 on the post from Deny, change it every year, costs
nothing compared with trying to milk the last drop of
useful life from the most important fluid in your engine.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:55 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
That's what I was planning on until I had the analysis done, then I became conflicted lol
Old 03-16-2016, 08:34 PM   #11

I don't take oil samples. I change oil every year. Cheaper than overhauling engine.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:10 PM   #12

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1458187622.018854.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  76.4 KB

I use this pump/hose to draw a sample from the dipstick tube. The sample bottle screws onto the pump, draw the sample and remove the bottle. Can be purchased from most labs.
I use a new piece of 1/8" tubing for each sample, it's only a few cents per foot.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:49 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Even if the oil tests OK, you may still want to change the filter so that it continues to stay OK. But changing the filter usually loses at least some of the oil anyway. I've always just gone ahead and changed oil & filter annually. It's not hard and doesn't cost a lot more than the analysis anyway. Of course, an analysis can detect other potential issues too.

I do use analysis on the tranny fluid, which is a lot more expensive and harder to change. I'm still on the original synthetic ATF in my Allison (12 years and 77k miles). It gets new filters every three years and maybe a gallon of new fluid with each filter change.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:25 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Attachment 121602

I use this pump/hose to draw a sample from the dipstick tube. The sample bottle screws onto the pump, draw the sample and remove the bottle. Can be purchased from most labs.
I use a new piece of 1/8" tubing for each sample, it's only a few cents per foot.

Same setup here...