Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2014, 08:18 AM   #1

oil and water mix

hello fellow rvers
I have recently purchased a 2000 Fleetwood Discovery 40' with cummins
I have water and oil mix just in oil im lost not sure is head gasket or maybe oil cooler
If anyone can help
2000rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2014, 08:23 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'm sure some of our Cummins experts will be along soon but it sure doesn't sound good.

Best of luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:17 AM   #3
Community Moderator

sorry to hear that... mixing oil with coolant - either oil has coolant (milky oil) or coolant has oil (trace of oil floating) - is surely no good. i wish you had come here prior to the purchase as fellow rvers would have told you how important a PPI would be.

for now, do not start engine. search yelp.com with key words "diesel engine repair" and your zipcode to get a trusted mechanic and call him. if you need to drive your rig to his shop, make sure change oil first (any brand 15w40 oil will be fine, such as walmart supertech brand. it's just a temp solution to prevent from further cylinder damage. after mechanic fixes your engine, he will change oil/filter anyway). good luck.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:21 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rv View Post
hello fellow rvers
I have recently purchased a 2000 Fleetwood Discovery 40' with cummins
I have water and oil mix just in oil im lost not sure is head gasket or maybe oil cooler
If anyone can help
YOu might look online. I am not sure your oil cooler has water running through it. I am sure some of the cummins experts will be on here to make sure but are you sure your oil cooler is not just a mini radiator that has air running across it instead of water ?
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:01 PM   #5

Check to confirm you have an oil cooler, and if you do is it in the radiator. This is much more common in smaller applications. For example, I do not have an oil cooler in my radiator. If you do not, then the issue is in the engine (most likely) and could be as cheap as a head gasket and as expensive as the block cracked internally. Perhaps a head in between.

This could get very expensive very fast is what I am saying!

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:27 PM   #6

You do have a oil cooler. It's mounted on the side of the block and it's located just in front of the oil filter. They are an issue with the isc motor but when they go most of the time you will have oil in the coolant most of the time because the oil presure is higher than coolant presure while running. Yes you can get water in your oil as well because when you turn off the motor the presure on your coolant system is going to be around 15 psi or so, but you should have oil in your coolant tank if it's the oil cooler. How much water is in the oil?
Garymac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water