Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2014, 07:23 AM   #29
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
I take my coach to the dealer i purchased it from. Alliance Coach Wildwood Florida.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2014, 09:28 AM   #30

I have been thinking of buying lube service due to age. What is a fair price at Speedco for a gas MH on Ford chassis? My closest Speedco is at Pilot about 60 miles away.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:45 AM   #31

Changing the oil isn't difficult---but greasing is a bear. I don't have a concrete pad so slithering around underneath while scraping my back on gravel is unpleasant. There just isn't much clearance, even when the air bags are fully inflated. So for that reason, I go to Speedco and get a lube and oil change. Costs about $250 for a Cummins ISM. I have them give me the fuel filter and change that myself at home. Why I do that myself is a long story: in a nutshell, I know how to avoid air-locking the engine. And I really like going into the pit while they're doing the work and looking around underneath.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:58 AM   #32
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelyn5 View Post
Changing the oil isn't difficult---but greasing is a bear. I don't have a concrete pad so slithering around underneath while scraping my back on gravel is unpleasant. There just isn't much clearance, even when the air bags are fully inflated. So for that reason, I go to Speedco and get a lube and oil change. Costs about $250 for a Cummins ISM. I have them give me the fuel filter and change that myself at home. Why I do that myself is a long story: in a nutshell, I know how to avoid air-locking the engine. And I really like going into the pit while they're doing the work and looking around underneath.

That's the reason I bought two of the 12-ton jack stands from Harbor Freight! I don't do my own lube but I sometimes need to get under there for other things. I believe in the old saying "what can go wrong WILL go wrong"!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:34 AM   #33

Once, on a long trip out west, I changed mine in the corner of the parking lot by an AutoZone. Bought the oil and filter there, then went inside and deposited old oil in their tank.
jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:26 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
used to live up there too

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Me? If so I would love to help but we are only in Cicero in the summer.
Lived near green lakes and kept boat in fish bay.

I change my own oil and lube with a HF air grease gun. Some said they use a 5 gallon pail to drain oil. I must relate my tale of grief about the use of a plastic 5 gallon bail.

MY MH uses the full 4 gallons of oil so I too used the 5 gallon bucket under the back of the rig. Popped the plug off and let it drain into the buck. About just finished an I notice a small black puddle of oil appearing on the concrete in back of the pail. By the time I realized what was going on about half of the bucket leaked out of a small crack that opened on the side of the bucket..

I was really freaking out since this was my second year on my new $5000 concrete drive. I got some 2x4 to dam the puddle and an old shop vac to suck up the black goo. I had the DW drive to the local Autozone to pick up some oil soakup stuff. Then after refilling the oil in the engine, spent the rest of the afternoon cleaning with oil sorb, degreasers, every soap detergent and bleach bottle available. Finally cleaned it off with the pressure washer.

What a stinkin mess. in the end had to cover the grey stain with a slurry of grout to match the concrete.

Now - what I use is a 25 gallon heavy duty plastic barrel cut in half to match the elevation of the drain plug. AND now I do it in the street.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:16 AM   #35

Ford Super Duty Owner
Doesnt Camping World Do full service, oil, grease, coolant, and trans service?
Old 02-14-2014, 02:54 PM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To help protect your concrete driveways.

Shop QUIKRETE 1-Gallon Acrylic Concrete Cure and Seal at Lowes.com

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:12 PM   #37

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I go to WalMart for my changes. For the last 11 years the same fellow has been doing the grease jobs there and he knows my MH. Gaspar may hold a record for a Walmart lube employee.

bsinmich is offline   Reply With Quote