Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2011, 02:39 PM   #1

oil change

i was changing the oil in my HR motor home with a 230hp cummins. i just put the 15 qts of oil in when my son wanted to help. i went inside to get a drink when i returned my boy was putting 50/50 anti-freeze in the oil filler i'm a gallon over on the dip stick. any ideas. thanks. rich

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardreyn7 View Post
i was changing the oil in my HR motor home with a 230hp cummins. i just put the 15 qts of oil in when my son wanted to help. i went inside to get a drink when i returned my boy was putting 50/50 anti-freeze in the oil filler i'm a gallon over on the dip stick. Sounds like more than just "putting 50/50 anti-freeze in the oil filter" If you're a gallon "over" on the dip stick then either the 15 qts. you put in is too much or the anti-freeze filled oil filter was installed and the engine started.any ideas. thanks. rich
If the engine has been started with anti freeze in the oil my suggestion is to let the engine sit for an hour or so to allow all the anti freeze to drain into the oil pan. Then, drain the anti freeze / oil, change the oil filter, re-install the correct amount of oil and a new filter. If the engine has not been started then just put a new filter on BEFORE starting the engine.

By the way........if it sits the oil in the pan will float on top of the anti freeze so when you drain you'll see mostly anti freeze until it's drained then pure oil.

KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Drain it and start over again
Old 07-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Should he flush the engine with something...Just asking? D
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:06 PM   #5
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixieray53 View Post
Should he flush the engine with something...Just asking? D
After the anti freeze / oil mix is allowed to sit for a hour or so in the engine there should be only a miniscule amount of anti freeze left in the engine. Whatever is left will ultimately get to the oil pan where it will go to the bottom of the pan.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #6

Richard, Kix has it for you, if the motor hasn't been run then no need to disturb the filter, drain and re-fill the pan with fresh oil.. Watch for any creamy appearance of the oil in the first few hours of opperation , if you dont notice any then you got it all. If you do a short oil/filter change is required.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:47 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
any ideas. thanks. rich
Make sure the boy knows not to add anything anywhere before he ask you if it is OK.

Make sure the oil drain is the lowest to get all.
May want to raise front jacks up some to be sure.
I would let it drain overnight.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This has happened before and if you have not started the motor you should be fine, however it is going to cost you lots of oil and a few filters. I would suggest the following.
1. Completely drain the motor oil and remove the filter. Check the oil and filter for Antifreeze.
2. Install new filter and refill the motor with the correct amount of oil. Let sit for a few hours and then drain the motor oil and replace the filter for the second time. The reason you are doing this is to duplicate the path of the antifreeze when it was poured in. it should flush any remaining antifreezes to the pan and filter.
3. Install new filter and refill engine oil.

After a few miles I would remove an oil sample and send it in to be analyzed. Here is a company that will analyze your oil if you don't know one.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free-test-kits.php

I am not a mechanic so this is just a summary of thing I've read on the subject. I also do not work for Blackstone Labs and only found them while doing a google search for oil testing.

Good Luck and let us know how it turns out.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:32 PM   #9

I you have not started the engine, simply allow every thing to sit for a while, the carefully drain the gallon of antifreeze, and add the corect amount of oil. If you have started it, new filter, carefully drain the coolant from the pan, add corect amount of oil and go. What little bit of coolant that remains just is not going to hurt anything in 15-20 qts of oil.

bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote