Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #15

I pay $50 at a local race shop, and car repair. They also grease, air the tires and check rear end fluid. They use the oil Ford calls for, but they say it is to light a weight, for the heavy use of a MH

Vet Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikmac View Post
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I guess that this is the norm and will probably not be using a Jiffy Lube type place. On of my biggest fears with using these place is the in/out quick service that they do. This is great for a car but a little more scary with a MH. I think I will bring it to the dealer, MH friendly garage or do it myself. I knew this forum had all the answers.

Thanks Again,

Rick
I have a CAT diesel that holds 19 qts and filter is approx. $20. It is easier to change oil on this vehicle myself than on my 2008 Chev pickup and much easier than on my 2008 Xterra. Dealer charges over $200. Plus, I know it's done right. I too was afraid of the MH at first but after the high price I paid for the first one, my fears dimished

Richard

Old 06-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #17

Picking mine up this afternoon from cummins dealer at $120/ hour and 39qts of diesel oil, fuel filters for both engine and genset. Wanna trade? I'll do myself after I decide whether I keep the extended warranty. The first question they ask is forward your service records and who did them. They look for any reason to deny a claim.

At $120/hour a days wages doesn't go far.
The bigger they are the more they cost. It's not a Honda civic.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Barge View Post
Picking mine up this afternoon from cummins dealer at $120/ hour and 39qts of diesel oil, fuel filters for both engine and genset. Wanna trade? I'll do myself after I decide whether I keep the extended warranty. The first question they ask is forward your service records and who did them. They look for any reason to deny a claim.

At $120/hour a days wages doesn't go far.
The bigger they are the more they cost. It's not a Honda civic.
I don't have an extended warranty and, after 5 years, haven't really needed it altho I could have used it I think there is a federal law that is called Magnuson-Moss (google it) that covers warranties and their denial of coverage based on receipts. You can always perform your own maintenance and keep your receipts for materials.
Richard
Old 06-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a '98 Winnebago gasser with 7.5 v8. I do ALL my own maint. And have done this with all my equipment all my life. The more you know about your equipment - the less chance of somebody pulling the wool over your eyes - as it would be. UPS just delivered a case of Amsoil today. $88 complete for 12 quarts at the front door. NAPA or Wix filter and I change my own oil tomorrow. Oil is the life blood of the engine. It's pay me now or Pay me later.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #20

Mine was 501.00 for C-12 generator oil and all filters changed with Aqua Hot too. Greased and checked everything. Well worth it. 36 quarts of oil and 11 filters fuel and oil.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #21

$69 at Campingworld. Oil & filter for my Ford V10.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
I had a V10 class A for 8 years. I changed the oil every 3K regardless and did it myself. It held 6 qts and was easier than changing my Dodge Dakota(also 6 qts.) because I had so much clearance under the front. With most of the auto parts stores accepting used oil for recycling, it only cost me the oil and filter. I now have a DP that holds 19 qts and I still do it myself. It is actually easier than the V10.