Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2015, 02:08 PM   #1

Oil change on used coach?

In the next few days we will be buying a used 2014 Tiffin 33AA. It was put in service Nov. 2013 and had an oil change/service Nov. 2014. It has less than 4000 miles on it. We usually got the oil/service done on our previous motorhome in Nov. and put it up for the winter, just exercising the generator monthly. Our question is should we get the oil change/service now or can we wait until Nov.? Our concern is the coach has set up for the past months with no use and it might be better to change the oil now instead of waiting until Nov. We plan on putting about 4000 miles on it in the next 3 months. I would rather have everything checked/changed now and know all is good and ready to go but also like putting up the coach for the winter with fresh oil. Opinions and suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

RJ
RJEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2015, 02:37 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
If you know it was changed Nov. 2014 then going till Nov. 2015 should not be an issue. I have a similar situation with our coach we purchased last summer.
I will say that the owners manual and some of the cummins documentation confused me on when they expect an oil change. Owners manual says 6 months and I have a cummins document that says 12 months for same motor.

Being it is a given mileage is not going to determine when I may change I presently am using the 1 year. But I am having my oil tested and having the TBN checked. This will be my secondary check of the oil.

I am doing the same for my transmission as it is actually passed the recommended change period but sent a sample out for test and the TAN checked on it also.

I just changed the generator oil and filters as I feel it may have gone too long. Should be at least annually or every 500 hours.

Steve
Old 07-09-2015, 02:54 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJEV View Post
In the next few days we will be buying a used 2014 Tiffin 33AA. It was put in service Nov. 2013 and had an oil change/service Nov. 2014. It has less than 4000 miles on it. We usually got the oil/service done on our previous motorhome in Nov. and put it up for the winter, just exercising the generator monthly. Our question is should we get the oil change/service now or can we wait until Nov.? Our concern is the coach has set up for the past months with no use and it might be better to change the oil now instead of waiting until Nov. We plan on putting about 4000 miles on it in the next 3 months. I would rather have everything checked/changed now and know all is good and ready to go but also like putting up the coach for the winter with fresh oil. Opinions and suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

RJ
look at the chassis owners manual and follow its recommendations.
Those guys that design the engine and chassis usually know best. Besides an oil change is a cheap maintenance item compared to what you payed for the coach.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:54 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
X2 on having the oil tested, just to be on the safe side.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum