Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2011, 12:35 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
Does anyone use a Fumoto oil change valve? Yes, no, why?
Can't believe the timing of your post. Was on line last night looking for information on the Fumoto oil change valve that I had seen advertised recently in the FMCA publication. Was searching for the best source, and also searched this site for user comments and recommendations. Thanks for those who have posted their recommendations. It only confirms my decision. Am sold on this item and cannot believe I have never run across it before. Am ordering one from Qwik Valve today. This is a no brainer.

Monaco38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2011, 01:58 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I installed one of their "N"(hose nipple) models of the Fumoto valve on the 8.1 almost a year ago. It is very well built and works as advertised. I was concerned that with the pan side threads of the valve would extend into the oil pan enough to leave some old oil in the bottom of the pan. This last oil change, I removed the Fumoto just to see how much oil remained...zip, none at all. I just ordered another to install in the Jeep. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:40 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Got it. Love it.
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:17 PM   #18
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
I installed one of their "N"(hose nipple) models of the Fumoto valve on the 8.1 almost a year ago. It is very well built and works as advertised. I was concerned that with the pan side threads of the valve would extend into the oil pan enough to leave some old oil in the bottom of the pan. This last oil change, I removed the Fumoto just to see how much oil remained...zip, none at all. I just ordered another to install in the Jeep. Bob
The one I received for the 8.1 came with no gasket, somewhere in the papers I read "some" do not come with a gasket because none is needed do you recall if you used a gasket or not.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:42 PM   #19

Hello All, I see there are two different quick drain valves Fumoto and Femco. I like the concept of the Femco design. I am concerned about the amount of valve is exposed in the Fumoto design.
Does anyone have any experience with the Femco?
Does anyone know if the 350HP ISC engine in a 2001 Dynasty uses the Metric size? What is the actual thread size?
Thanks
Robert
Old 03-07-2011, 04:58 PM   #20

I have a Fumoto drain valve in my Cummis ISL and it sure makes changing oil easy. I installed it with the vacuum cleaner method and didn't lose one drop of oil.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:16 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the Fumoto on all my vehicles and it makes changing the oil easy enough that I actually do it when it's supposed to be done. I used to procrastinate until it was way past due.
pkunk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:25 PM   #22

I too have used the Fumoto valve with tubing for years. It does not protrude down enough to think twice about. The only way to go. Now I just have to find a way to neatly remove the old filter without making a mess. I have tried the plastic bag method, but still not happy, oh well.

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:48 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm4015 View Post
I have a Fumoto drain valve in my Cummis ISL and it sure makes changing oil easy. I installed it with the vacuum cleaner method and didn't lose one drop of oil.
So what is the "vacuum cleaner method" of installing it? Until it is installed I am going to have to deal with more volume of oil coming out the drain plug than I have drain pan to hold. Larger container for one time??... or is there a secret you can share?

Monaco38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:00 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Not trying to steal Norm4015's thunder or secret but he was probably referring to a method used to create a vacuum on the crankcase so that the oil would not run out when you take out the oil drain plug. You can take a shop vacuum and hold the end of the hose over the oil fill location on the engine. Loosen the oil drain plug and have someone turn on the vacuum. Remove the oil drain plug and install the fumoto valve. Turn the vacuum off. Then you can use the fumoto valve to drain the oil into whatever container you choose. You may lose a few drops of oil using this procedure but not much. Make sure you have a good connection from the vacuum hose to the oil filler pipe.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #25

What dia & thread for the 8.1? Thanks
Samc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:49 PM   #26
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrier2 View Post
Hello All, I see there are two different quick drain valves Fumoto and Femco. I like the concept of the Femco design. I am concerned about the amount of valve is exposed in the Fumoto design.
Does anyone have any experience with the Femco?
Does anyone know if the 350HP ISC engine in a 2001 Dynasty uses the Metric size? What is the actual thread size?
Thanks
Robert

Mine is a #18 if my memory is right
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:51 PM   #27
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow46 View Post
Not trying to steal Norm4015's thunder or secret but he was probably referring to a method used to create a vacuum on the crankcase so that the oil would not run out when you take out the oil drain plug. You can take a shop vacuum and hold the end of the hose over the oil fill location on the engine. Loosen the oil drain plug and have someone turn on the vacuum. Remove the oil drain plug and install the fumoto valve. Turn the vacuum off. Then you can use the fumoto valve to drain the oil into whatever container you choose. You may lose a few drops of oil using this procedure but not much. Make sure you have a good connection from the vacuum hose to the oil filler pipe.
This method works very well. Use a damp shop rag to "seal" the vacuum hose to the oil fill.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:56 PM   #28
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDchief View Post
I too have used the Fumoto valve with tubing for years. It does not protrude down enough to think twice about. The only way to go. Now I just have to find a way to neatly remove the old filter without making a mess. I have tried the plastic bag method, but still not happy, oh well.
Here's what I do that is relatively clean. I use a Phillips head screwdriver to penetrate the bottom of the filter. With the screwdriver still in the filter I get a funnel and pan under the filter then remove the screwdriver. Let the oil drain from the filter. Wipe off the bottom of the filter and use duct tape over the screwdriver hole. Then remove and replace the filter. It's not absolutely clean but much better than removing a full filter. Just let it drain until it's just an occasional drip.