Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2011, 05:39 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
The one I received for the 8.1 came with no gasket, somewhere in the papers I read "some" do not come with a gasket because none is needed do you recall if you used a gasket or not.
Sorry, John for the late response...you know, I just don't remember. I know I would not have installed the Fumoto without a gasket. I either installed the gasket off the old drain plug or used the one that came with the new valve...there IS a gasket on the new valve, this I know.

I just recieved a 106N for the Jeep and it has a gasket included. I read in the info packet that some valves do not come with a gasket and on some installations, an adapter is needed for a recessed oil pan plug boss. I don't think the 8.1 has that recess...mine doesn't.

If you don't want to install the old gasket that came on the oil pan plug, take the Fumoto to any auto parts house and they can match up a new gasket for you. Bob

Edit: I just looked at the new valve for the Jeep. It came with a 'fiber' looking gasket that probably is somewhat softer than a regular metal 'crush' gasket. This is probably due to the bronze like material used for the Fumoto so one doesn't over tighten it...'til it gets 'easy'. : (

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2011, 06:02 PM   #44
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A response is never late, thank you for yours.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:49 PM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think I'll go with the Femco unit. I like the dust cap, even if the valve fails or leaks the cap will keep the oil where it should be, in the oil pan.
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:29 AM   #46

This has been an interesting Thread. I have bought the Fumoto valve on three different occasions, I brought them home and just did not like the thought of a valve exposed to road debris. The valves just hang to far beneath the oil pan. I know there is a fail safe but S**T happens. Each time I returned them and decided it was easier to just remove the drain plug.
On my Diesel there is another problem which has been mentioned. How to drain the oil (5+ gallons) into two containers. I am going to get the Femco unit as well. Does anyone know where to buy one at a decent price??
I believe the thread is 18mm on a Cummins ISC is that correct? Which model have people been using Standard or Compact?
Robert
Old 03-12-2011, 11:01 AM   #47

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrier2 View Post
T
On my Diesel there is another problem which has been mentioned. How to drain the oil (5+ gallons) into two containers. ?
Robert
I have two $7.00 yellow oil pans from Auto Zone etc. They hold approximately 20 quarts of oil each.

I put a large piece of cardboard under the oil drain area.

I put a smaller piece of cardboard on top of the first larger piece.

On the second piece of cardboard I put both of the drain pans.

When the first is about half full, I gently slide the pan cardboard to position the second pan to receive the remainder of the 21 quarts. Any spillage soaks into the cardboard not my concrete driveway.

The Fumoto valve would eliminate the transfer of oil from drain pans to the newly emptied bottles for disposal, but I have an electric pump to assist in that task.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:16 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Walker View Post
Or you can use one of these Quick Changer Oil Drain Plug @ Unique Truck Equipment Inc
It has about the same area protruding as your original plug and has very little chance of being accidentally knocked off. I use this type.
Any chance you have some pictures of this? The website photo leaves me unanswered questions... is there a cap that fits on the end when not in use? Does the price include everything in the photo, sans the clear drain line?

Thank you. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:22 PM   #49

Ford Super Duty Owner
This is related.
Would anyone be interested in a tip proof funnel?
(one that screws into the oil spout or valve cover)
this one screws into the vavle cover on a 4.0L Jeep engine.
I can make them for other engines. (it may already fit other chrsylers and jeeps)

Would you buy one of these?
and if so at what price?
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:51 PM   #50

I have the Fumoto valve on my 8.1. No adaptor is necessary. I have no issues with the clearance below, and I have no debris entering my open nipple on the end of the valve. This is a great addition for the DIYer.

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:04 PM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I too got tired of burning my fingers and getting black oil on my driveway but I went a different route. I modified a small (very short) hose bib to screw into the drain plug hole on my Cat engine. I also made a stout support that would support the hose bib if it got hit by a tire tread or any other debris. I then but a dust cover over the hose end of the valve just in case the washer were to fail. Cost $0 plus 1 hour labor.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:19 PM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post
Any chance you have some pictures of this? The website photo leaves me unanswered questions... is there a cap that fits on the end when not in use? Does the price include everything in the photo, sans the clear drain line?

Thank you. -RT
I am pretty sure you buy the plug, the drain hose and the cap separately. (3 items) That looks like the femco unit.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #53

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
46 the cap is included but not the one with the lanyard, string, chain or what ever.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:04 PM   #54

Hi All, When you buy the Femco it comes with the Cap and the actual Plug?
Do you then have to buy the device that presses the valve in ( they call it a Drainer)?
I am not talking about the part used in the Speedclick version.
Does anyone know where these can be had for less than then the $51.40 from Femco website?
By the way the debris I was referring to was junk on the road, tire treads (aligators) smashing into the Fumato valve and causing it to open or get knocked off it does stick down a 1 1/2" or so. I don't think debris will enter or clog the nipple end of the valve.
Robert
Old 03-13-2011, 04:40 AM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Barrier the "drainer" is sold separately, it is the hose and the nipple that activates the valve. In my case 8.1 standard valve the drainer is $16.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:55 AM   #56
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm thinking once any big or heavy enough debris gets to the valve to break it off there is going to be other damage under there as well once it gets that high up.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote