Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2010, 07:36 PM   #1

Oil filled hubs

I recently had the workhorse brake recall remedy completed on my Southwind.

After driving home I checked the oil filled hubs and discovered that the reservoir on each side was empty.

The hubs were full in early August.

Does anyone know if the fix requires removal or emptying the reservoirs.

Has anyone experienced this problem after completion of recall fix.

I am attempting to get my ducks in a row before contacting the repair facility that did my work

Any info is appreciated

Jim Ross

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2010, 07:56 PM   #2

Wow, it's amazing your front wheels didn't come off due to bearing failure. No oil!
Probably be a good idea to check wheel bearings for wear/damage before use. I have a Freightliner chassis with airbrakes so thank God I haven't had this brake problem.
Call the repair facility out on this one, document, take pictures etc. NO oil in front hubs is a major deal.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:13 PM   #3

To answer your question ,yes working on the brakes requires draining the hub oil or at least on a Freightliner chassis it does, and I would assume the WH brake repair would require draining the oil and pulling the hubs.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:30 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRoss View Post
I recently had the workhorse brake recall remedy completed on my Southwind.

After driving home I checked the oil filled hubs and discovered that the reservoir on each side was empty.

The hubs were full in early August.

Does anyone know if the fix requires removal or emptying the reservoirs.

Has anyone experienced this problem after completion of recall fix.

I am attempting to get my ducks in a row before contacting the repair facility that did my work

Any info is appreciated

Jim Ross
There would be no reason for them to remove the hubs unless they also had to turn the rotors and there would be no other reason to drain the hubs
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:10 PM   #5

Jim, how far did you drive it? I wouldn't drive it again tell someone came out and checked the bearings.
Doug
2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Lariat 4X2 PSD 6.0 TorqShift Automatic Transmission. Upfitter Switchers Chrome Door Handles, Oxford White with lower part being Arizona Beige Metallic. Creative Coating Sprayed in bed liner (local Company in Little Rock AR) 2
WD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:23 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Put some oil in the hubs before attempting to drive it anywhere. I'd fill them up and monitor for change. If they are cracked or otherwise leaking, you will know fairly soon.

But if both were bone dry, I wonder if somebody simply forgot to fill them?
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:26 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

No oil in the hubs is a real fire hazard because the bearing can get super hot and set what little oil is left on fire. It is common problem on trucks and is the reason that you should check the oil level before each trip or on a periodic schedule. If the oil leaked out then it is going to be all over the rotor/drum, caliper, and the backside of the tire. If there is no evidence of oil in those spots then they failed to fill them back up after they worked on them. If there is oil on the back of the tires then you are most likely going to need new brake pads/shoes because once oil has saturated the brakes you cannot get it out.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:28 AM   #8
JCM

Triple E Owners Club
Jack your front end off of the ground and spin the wheels. Listen to the bearings. If no noise - probably ok. If a grinding noise etc. - get help IMMEDIATELY.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:53 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

JCM, I don't want to upset you but that means they may be OK to drive to a repair garage if you put oil in them BUT if there is zero oil in the hubs then they may have overheated and blued the bearing races which is bad and they may sound OK right now but will fail in the near future. Plus there may be oil on the brakes.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:58 AM   #10
JCM

Triple E Owners Club
Agreed but at least it will get him to a garage and not cost a tow.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:35 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Completely dry or below the minimum line?:

Attached Images
"Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:49 PM   #12

Trick question right? That is way lower than I would let my oil level get. I'm no expert but I think the screw plug is the fill. I keep my oil at or a little above the max line. The 90-140 oil will not expand as much as thinner oil because it heats up slower or less. You can see what looks like oil at the very bottom. Some hubs only have the rubber center plug, the more you mess with them the more they tend to ooze.
Have only seen a couple oil filled hubs leak alot and those had cheap plastic screw on clear covers, not bolted on. Except those that leaked due to not replacing or damaging the axle seal when replacing hub
Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
From the Workhorse chassis guide (same source as picture I posted):
"FRONT WHEEL BEARINGS
The W Series chassis utilize two different front hub bearing systems. The W20, W22, and W24
chassis utilize an oil lubricated front hub bearing system. The oil level in the front hubs
can be checked by simply looking into the sight glass on the front wheel hubs. The sight
glass is located in the center of the hub and is mark with a full level on the glass. If oil is
low, remove the cap located in the center of the hub adjacent to the sight glass taking care
to not allow any dirt or water in the oil and the fill is pointed upward. Once filled to the
proper level drive a short distance and checkoil level again, you may require addition oil as
flows through the system. The condition of the fluid must also be inspected during tire
rotation or once if per year, if fluid is contaminated (i.e. dirt or water in the oil) the
fluid must be changed and inner hub assembly cleaned."

BTW, I always though the screw plug was for draining but I see the above might be confusing. Also if only filled to the maximum line the center plug should not leak because the centrifucal force keeps all the oil to the outside edge of the sight glass circle. I actually drove from Charlotte NC to Louisville KY with the center plug missing with no change in oil level. Of course not recommended.
"Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:36 PM   #14

Rocky
Yeah the oil which is very thick (like molasses when cold) even when very hot should not get by the rubber plug. I know the plugs in my Freight chassis are very snug, I'm thinking of some plugs I have removed on haul trailers etc that are old and slightly loose. These seep oil at worst, only when oil runs down the inside of clear cover and on to plug.
If it was my rig I would replace front bearings no matter what and hold shop liable. I sure would not want to loose a front wheel.
I just realized that photo is a new hub before having oil added, or at least I would hope.
Kc