Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2011, 09:04 AM   #1

Oil Filtration..Choosing a better filter &/or system

FYI

Oil filtration basics

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2011, 08:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmSprings View Post
You can increase the effectiveness of a oil filter twofold by placing a strong magnet on the end of the filter. As the oil circulates within the filter any iron/magnetic particles adhere to the bottom of the filter case. Many motors have magnetic drain plugs. If those plugs are collecting foreign matter it means that matter has made it through the filter. Better to collect all those little nasty particles in the filter

bob109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:06 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
good idea about the magnet. but metal in the sump usually means that the metal has settled in the sump and has not been picked up by the oil pump yet. the filter is usually right after the pump, not after the source of the metal (unless the oil pump itself is "making metal").
Old 08-21-2011, 05:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4MBG View Post
good idea about the magnet. but metal in the sump usually means that the metal has settled in the sump and has not been picked up by the oil pump yet. the filter is usually right after the pump, not after the source of the metal (unless the oil pump itself is "making metal").
Metalic particles which "settle" in the sump are not the problem! However "suspended" metalic particles ( those in the low micron range ), which do not settle into the sump and enter the oil pump through the pickup screen/tube before entering the filter are what cause contact wear to metal and bearing surfaces. If all metalic particles settled in to the pan sump there would be no need for a filter
bob109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:15 PM   #5

AH - oil filtration - one of my favorite subjects!

Here's what I use to supplement the OEM-type oil filter on my '02 Cummins:

And yeah, over the years, I've heard ALL the old-wives tales about "TP belongs in the bathroom", and "the TP will quickly just dissolve and end up in the oil pan and clogging oil passages, ruining your engine"...

Pure, uninformed BS!

I've had and used the filter pictured since the late 50's, had it on 3 or 4 different engines - probably well over a half million miles worth. I have oil analysis taken with 12K miles on the oil that showed it to be cleaner than NEW oil right from the bottle - and I'll gladly compare MY oil analysis with any ONE and any similar filter - any TIME!

A sample analysis? Here's one from my '02 Cummins with 20K miles on the oil:

Skeptical? Check up the bypass filters forums over on bobistheoilguy.com. and become educated!

Abd finally, here's a pic of the underhood of my '02 Dodge/Cummins, showing the Frantz filters on each side of the engine bay - oil filter on the left - fuel filter on the right side.

Interested in the BEST available oil/fuel filtration for YOUR engine?

You've just been exposed to it!

Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:07 AM   #6

I wonder how many of those million-mile engines use extra filtration.

I really would like to know if such devices really are used and result in long-lived engines, or just provide theoretical advantage.