Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-23-2015, 08:56 AM   #1
Country Coach Owners Club
Oil/Fluid Sampling ~ Transmission & Generator?

We're close to purchasing a coach which has never had any oil sampling done. While I totally get the idea of sampling the engine oil, some suggested I also sample the transmission fluid and generator oil as well.

I'm curious if anyone else has heard or done this.

The cost is pretty low ($25 per sample), I'm just wondering if it would really tell us anything.

MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2015, 09:17 AM   #2
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I didn't pull samples when I was negotiating for my coach but have sent samples in to Blackstone Labs with every oil change of the engine. I don't send generator samples in. Easy with an oil change but not so much as part of a sale.

Since I've only worked with Blackstone I only know what they offer. They have a hand pump that their sample bottle will screw on that you can use to pull a sample and send it in. I used one a few months back for a transmission oil test to see if I really needed to change the oil. The hose provided was too short to reach all the way to the oil pan thru the dip stick tube but it's standard 1/4" white plastic hose. Same stuff for airlines or even water to an freezer ice maker. Easy swap. Pumping directly to a sample bottle was mess free but if you are taking multiple samples you'll need to run something like mineral spirits or such to clean the oil out so you do not contaminate the next sample.

Blackstone Labs

Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:34 PM   #3
I pull oil samples on every oil change and send it in the Peterson Cat at a cost of $13.50 and get an email back in around 4 days and a paper report in a week. As a retired heavy construction service oiler I have pull thousands of samples. When you work for some of the large contractors they what to know when they have to spend the big bucks.
2 stroker
2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft Genoa Designer Series, Samsung 197 RR
Cat C9--STEEL & COPPER Bolt Together Radiator w/ updated rubber mountings
SilverLeaf 330 Magnum 2812 PSW 2011 Ford Edge Sport-Air Force One
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:24 PM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Read the thread on the Allison Transmission...sampling is discussed in detail.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:05 PM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
As a pre purchase samples are valuable to tell if there is coolant in the transmission or engine oil in the coolant, that sort of thing. Wear metals may or may not show, depending on the last fluid change. The state of the coolant is also important, that is, are the corrosion and pitting resistance up to standards. The generator, not so much, as the engine is not as costly as the transmission or the main engine.
Jim and Jennie, Cats=Bittles and Potter, 2000 Dynasty 350 ISC
2013 Silverado 4x4 Towed with R1200GS in bed.
PROV23:4 Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:25 PM   #6

I took samples from the engine and transmission just prior to buying our motorhome last week. I used Blackstone Lemonaide test. They send you a sample kit or two if you want to do both along with a 2 day return postage mailer. I sent it in on a Monday and they emailed me the results the next day. Very good service. I also bought their pump which made the job easier.

It gave me peace of mind knowing there is no antifreeze mixed with the oil or any other contaminates.

cavalryman is offline   Reply With Quote

fluid, generator, transmission