Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2019, 05:54 PM   #1

Oil for 8.1 Workhorse

What is the most common oil for the 8.1 Vortec engine and what filter does it take? I saw on youtube that it takes 6.4 qts oil

I ask these questions because I purchased a 2005 Mountain Aire at a dealer about 450 miles from me, and they are doing some updates before they deliver it to my residence. I would like to have the oil, filters, antifreeze, etc. on hand before I get the MH so I can bring all maintenance up to date as soon as I get it.
Dalef is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2019, 06:02 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2005 Monaco with the 8.1.
It takes 7 qts with filter
I use NAPA 1060 filter and NAPA 5w30 Synthetic oil
Old 04-23-2019, 06:06 PM   #3

Isn't the dealer going to do that for you? It's traditional for them to do that sort of thing before delivery...even on a consignment or used RV.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:41 PM   #4

Everyone will have a different opinion on this.
For me, I use the same Supertech brand oil that I use in all my other vehicles. Conventional 5W-30 with usually a Wix, Napa, or Fram filter. I don't opt for a larger filter so it takes a bit over 6 quarts for the refill.

All of the above meets or exceeds the specified requirements listed in my owner's manual.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:32 PM   #5

As Mudfrog mentioned, everyone will have a different opinion. Here is one more seeing how you asked.

I use the WIX extra capacity oil filter 51794 This is the same filter as the Napa Gold 1794. These are great filters that exceed the manufacturers filtering specifications. These filters hold one extra Qt of oil which will put your total oil capacity just under 8 qts on the 8.1L vortec engine. The extra Qt of oil provides almost a 15% increase in capacity along wit all the benefits of extra oil capacity.

For oil, I use Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W30. This oil is very reasonable priced at about or under $5/qt when bought on sale or at the big box store. 5W30 is the weight oil that GM and Workhorse recommend for this engine. Mobile 1 is decent oil that can be found in just about any town all across America.

I use Mobile 1 5W30 and Wix filters in my 5500 Onan generator too. I've used this oil in my engine and generator for over a decade with great results. 8qts in the Chassis Engine and 2qts in the generator.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:54 PM   #6

I use what is most reasonable priced oil and either Wix, Napa, or AC filter.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:41 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use the AC PF932 filter that takes the capacity to 8 qt, with Mobil 1 5W30 synthetic oil. Here is a website with a wealth of information on the Workhorse chassis.
http://www.oemys-performance.com/whparts.htm
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:01 PM   #8

Thanks for all the replies.

The dealer may change the oil before they deliver it, but just in case, I want to have everything on hand to do it myself. The oil that was in it looked pretty clean, so I'm not sure when it was last changed. I know there were some maintenance records in the RV, but I didn't have time to go through everything. I prefer to do everything myself and then I'll know what I am really dealing with. I've had diesels for the last 20 years, so this is my first gas RV in a while.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalef View Post
What is the most common oil for the 8.1 Vortec engine and what filter does it take? I saw on youtube that it takes 6.4 qts oi.......

The OE filter is AC Delco PF454, and with that filter it takes 6.5 qts of 5W30 oil. 10W30 can be substituted if temps not expected to be below 32*F. DO NOT use 10W40, ever.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:35 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use the A/C PF454 and the Mobil Extended 5/30 oil. Says it's good for 15,000 miles but I change every 3,000 miles.

I run in 110 degree weather and over mountains a lot so I like the best I can get.

Do it all myself so it's pretty cheap to change frequently.

It has gone 90,000 miles so far without any oil related problems.

Has the transmission fluid ever been changed?

It is easy to change the fluid on the W22 with the Allison 1000 transmission and it has a spin on filter.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:44 PM   #11

I will be changing the transmission fluid unless I see clear proof that is has already been changed. All my other Allison’s had internal filters, so I’m glad this one is spin on.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:01 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalef View Post
I will be changing the transmission fluid unless I see clear proof that is has already been changed. All my other Allison’s had internal filters, so I’m glad this one is spin on.
Use Transynd or a TES295 approved fluid.

Drain the fluid into a marked bucket. You will get about 10 to 11 quarts.

Change the filter and be sure to move the magnet at the base of it to the new filter.

Fill with the exact amount that came out. Run your coach about 20 miles and drain/ refill again.

That constitutes a complete change according to Allison. The torque converter holds about three quarts which doesn't drain, hence a double drain is required.

NEVER do a power flush on the Allison 1000.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:21 PM   #13

Go to Walmart to get your oil. Best prices most anywhere. At their prices there is no reason not to use synthetic oil.
Personally I use Penzoil Platinum 5w30 but any major brand will do.
I got my my Transynd tranny oil at NAPA for $39 per gallon. I think you need 4.5 gallons. Or maybe it was 5.5 .
I just bought a couple of K&N oil filters off Amazon. I like the welded on nut on the bottom.
I had been using Bosch or the Napa/Wix 1060/51060 or the Fram UltraGuard.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:05 AM   #14

What is the radiator capacity for the 8.1 engine?

Tags
workhorse