Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2015, 07:29 PM   #1

Oil leak above both front wheels?

My 2000 Damon Escaper 30,000 miles (freight liner chassic) developed 2 (red) oil leaks above both front wheels that puddled on floor over the winter storage. I finally noticed its coming from up above in a bundle of lines. After reading several other related searches, I think its coming from the hyd lines that feed the leveling cylinders. Makes sense because I stored it this past winter w levelers down. "I hope that wasn't a mistake. Do you think the lines are shot or loose or just let them go and see if it only leaks under pressure? They never leaked there before BTW.Don't want make it any worse..
Thoughts??
Thanks,
Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2015, 09:06 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Red fluid, ATF, is most likely from the leveling system. Storing the coach with the jacks down should not have been a problem. If your system was built by HWH, search the archives for hydraulic line problems on rigs comparable to the age of yours. I remember reading of hydraulic line fitting problems. That may be what you are experiencing. In those cases, I believe HWH came through with some assistance of one kind or another for many of the people.

US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:14 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
My front wheels use 80W90...it's not red.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:20 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
My front wheels use 80W90...it's not red.
NOT the front wheels, ABOVE the front wheels.
US Gear UBS
Old 04-02-2015, 03:21 PM   #5

It's definitely the hyd line for the levelers. And it is the brand you mentioned. I'm going to clean the fitting and try to determine if tightening will take care of it. Those lines are pretty long if I have to make new ones. My oil tank is about 6' away in the front bumper area. Worse case senario is that it would just leak a little when I use it next time. Do you think the flared fitting will take a little extra tightening?
Jim
Old 04-02-2015, 03:48 PM   #6

First thing to do is wipe off all fluids around the fittings and along the lines. This will determine if the hose has blown(pin hole/small rupture) or if you need to tighten up the fittings.

If you can't tighten or tightening the fittings don't work, you might remove the fitting and use some tape that's made for oils/hydraulic lines to see if will work. Just be extremely careful to relieve ALL the hydraulic's line pressures before attempting this.

Once line(s) are repaired to satisifaction, then you need to replace the tanks oil and bleed the lines of air.
JaycoEagle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:13 PM   #7

I like your idea.. So right know the levelers are extended.. Do I have to retract them before I take the lines apart? I would assume as long as I have them extended, that means they are under pressure.
It's a lot easier w it up in the air to get inside the wheel wells to get at the lines..
thx
Old 04-02-2015, 08:28 PM   #8

You probably have a 2-way valve that keeps pressure on the levelers going down OR up, so you'll need to call a mechanic that specializes in your coaches system and see how they would relieve the lines pressures to be safe to try and repair.

If you wipe the lines off and just tighten the fittings, this won't require any removal as you're only seeing if this method will work.

You'd only need to relieve any line pressures IF you find a hose leak(new hydraulic line made) or seeing that tightening the fittings don't work without removing to install the thread tape.
JaycoEagle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:24 PM   #9

Yes, there will be pressure on the lines, all the way back to the control valves. Do not even try to tighten the fittings, with the Jack's holding the MH up.

If the fitting breaks, it will fall.

If it's a two line system, the best way to make it safe, would be to let the Jack's retract, with the pump off. Let the MH settle down on the tires.
A spring system, would need to be retracted fully.

You may have to loosen the Jic fitting ( on the hose ), so you can tighten the adaptor fitting into the Jack.

A stubborn leak may need teflon tape on the pipe fitting. Don't use tape on the JIC, flair fitting.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:43 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Do you have access to a pair of six, eight ton capacity or heavier hydraulic jacks to jack and block the frame just aft of the front wheels so you will have the clearance to work safely after you depressurize and raise the front leveling jacks? As stated above, the HWH jacks are pressure down and depressurized with the help of the springs to go back up.

Note: Jack and for safety purposes, block before you raise the jacks.

US Gear UBS

Tags
leak