Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2015, 06:16 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Oil Pan removal 86 pace arrow 454

Have noise in engine that from what master mechanics say is a broken wind guard that the crank is hitting. Need to remove oil pan to repair and wonder if anyone has removed the pan from a 34' pace arrow motor home with the 454?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2015, 07:45 PM   #2

Don't think I've ever heard of a windage tray , failing and rubbing the crank , but anything is possible.
Could you post a picture of your oil pan and we'll try and talk you through the removal .

Old 06-20-2015, 10:05 PM   #3

Might want to let the 'master mechanics' deal with it.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:34 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
I think they also call it a baffle. The harmonic balancer was bad and he said it could have vibrated the baffle to crack it and allow it to rise and touch the crank as it turned. Sound is tinny and not a solid rod or other engine damage. Noise still there when balancer was removed. . Hope I can get pan off without raising engine and was what I was hoping for in my posting. Only 78Kon the engine and well cared for and runs smooth with not a sign of failing engine. I seem to always have an issue with my vehicles that are never heard of but that is the way it goes some times. Hope to get the rig back home on low boy semi this week and get things going in my shop. Any help on some one that may have taken theirs off would be an aid.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:02 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bioguy View Post
I think they also call it a baffle. The harmonic balancer was bad and he said it could have vibrated the baffle to crack it and allow it to rise and touch the crank as it turned. Sound is tinny and not a solid rod or other engine damage. Noise still there when balancer was removed. . Hope I can get pan off without raising engine and was what I was hoping for in my posting. Only 78Kon the engine and well cared for and runs smooth with not a sign of failing engine. I seem to always have an issue with my vehicles that are never heard of but that is the way it goes some times. Hope to get the rig back home on low boy semi this week and get things going in my shop. Any help on some one that may have taken theirs off would be an aid.
I have been a machanic all my life and have never heard of this. If you had a bad harmonic balancer I would look at something like a broken flex plate that makes the same kind of noise and is very common on these kind of vehicles
Old 06-21-2015, 08:20 AM   #6

I'm with speed racer on this one, sounds like a rare thing.

If the noise is near the front, are you sure it's not the timing chain hitting the cover?
Old 06-21-2015, 09:40 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd be more inclined to believe that the flywheel cover is rubbing against the flywheel. Like others, never heard of that baffle causing the noise or coming loose. Maybe even a cracked flywheel, which is a common event on those motors.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:07 AM   #8

A flash from the memory banks, loose torque converter bolts/nuts.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:27 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Looked at that and do not see any cracks or damage at all.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:41 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
The sound is like one I had once when I hit bump and lost my bump stops on my jeep and put my front axle up into front of pan. The crank would hit it at every turn and increase with R's but this sound is same in sequence but tinny and loud like a larger piece of flat type steel would make if touched buy crank. Like I said not a single sign of engine performance and sound is from bottom of pan area and not the chain case. The guy that heard it with two other mechanics were puzzled by it and concluded the sound was not engine drive train nor internal but that a harmonic cracking of the plate could be resultant of the very wobbly balancer. I am going to do a second look at the flex plate and converter but I saw the bolts and looked at the flex plate but saw nothing. Sound is at middle of to front area of pan. Not allot of clearance there for crank and the sound got worse but with even times of nothing soo. Yes, if it is something unheard of, I am the guy to have the problem. You would not believe some of the issues I have had in my days that seem to be first for anyone. Sorry for the winded thread but still wish I knew if pan is hard to remove. The rig is 60 miles from me right now and I hope to get it tues so I can start the issues search. Will keep you posted and happy I found this site. Any comments on this is good to hear.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:43 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Does the noise change when going from neutral to drive to reverse?

Mike
Old 06-21-2015, 11:46 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Did not do that check but when I drove it into a parking lot the sound did not change after I put it in park and does it still but have not tried moving it since towed. Very concerned about running it much as if it is the plate and it is getting worse I could break a piece off and then have some real nice issues.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:54 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Just another note. I just replaced all belts, water pump, fan clutch, hydrow boost, master cylinder and front brake lines and even new front tires.... Hoped I could have driven farther than 70 miles without another issues but........
Old 06-21-2015, 02:53 PM   #14

Just for giggles, pull out the dip stick, while it making the sound.

Tags
454, ace, pace arrow, removal