Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #1

oil sample - how do you do?

My oil was changed less than 12 months ago and only about 1,000 miles. I'm not trying to pinch pennies regarding an oil change, it's just that it seems like a terrible waste of oil and disposal if not justified by an actual lab analysis.

We have a C-7 350hp acquired last fall and I haven't been under the engine yet to see what type of pan drain it has. If it's simply a drain plug, that could be a problem collecting a several ounce sample. I was hoping for a valve but I suppose that's probably wishful thinking.

Anyway, how do you all collect your oil for sampling?

Thanks,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2012, 06:46 PM   #2

Change the filter, this will give you enough.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:47 PM   #3

the way i've done it in a garage setting was as the oil is draining hold jar along stream collecting oil in jar as it's draining over a peroid of time.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Valve, did you say valve?... you could get one of these...Fumoto valves. I installed the nippled model on the Jeep and the MH. With a hose from the valve into the drain pan, there is no messy oil splashing about. It is a little slower than pulling the pan plug but this would be perfect for pouring a sample. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:30 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check with these people, they will send a test kit with instructions and make recommendations

Blackstone Labs
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:40 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter
My oil was changed less than 12 months ago and only about 1,000 miles. I'm not trying to pinch pennies regarding an oil change, it's just that it seems like a terrible waste of oil and disposal if not justified by an actual lab analysis.

We have a C-7 350hp acquired last fall and I haven't been under the engine yet to see what type of pan drain it has. If it's simply a drain plug, that could be a problem collecting a several ounce sample. I was hoping for a valve but I suppose that's probably wishful thinking.

Anyway, how do you all collect your oil for sampling?

Thanks,
Joopy
I was told by the Cat folks, when changing the oil take the old oil filter puncture the side with appropriate device drain into sample cup. This way they can detect any metals that can be diagnosed ie: cam or main bearings. Makes since to me.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #7
Cat

If you pull the sample out of your oil filter it can give you false high results. The filter is where the dirtest oil is. The best place is the oil galley many Cat engines have the oil sample port located there. This is after the filter. The oil drain can be used but you have to be very careful not to contaminate the sample with dirt from around the drain hole od valve. They do make a suction gun and tube to pull samples through the dipstick tube.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #8

Thanks for the responses. I requested a sample bottle from Blackstone Labs a few days ago, and I think for future convenience, I'll order a valve from Fumoto as well. Looks like the most convenient way to sample when not changing oil.

cheers,
Joopy
Old 02-27-2012, 06:06 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Jupiter:

Hi. I've been looking at the oil sampling stuff also and stumbled into the Blackstone Labs site. They also offer a simple hand pump for extracting your sample through the dip stick tube or filler port which seems like a pretty simple and direct alternative to changing filters or installing valves in order to obtain the sample Blackstone needs. Go on the Blackstone site and check accessories. Looks good to me.

Steve
Old 02-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #10

Thank you, Steve. I missed that on their site. I'll be sure to check it out.

Just got the free sample kit in the mail today.

Joopy
Old 02-27-2012, 07:29 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Pulling it direct from the sump via the dip stick tube with the pump described above is the preferred method. You get the oil that is in the pan, which is what the engine is getting lubed with. I got my pump from JG Lubricant Services, the company I use for tranny fluid testing.

I don't test my engine oil - just change it annually. Usually has 8000-10,000 miles on it, though.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote